Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

recommendations -- sporty sedan or 4DR hatch for <$20K???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 04:06 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Mazda3, & would definitely recommend the Speed3 if you can find one in good shape at the right price. I do like the WRX as well, but the interior is much better in the Mazda. As for cargo space in hatches, I've put a race kart frame in the back along with luggage. The axles had to be removed & placed longways, but it fit. I could never do that with the sedan.
Old 06-15-12, 04:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
Being that you are in Denver, I would suggest an '07-08 Subaru Legacy GT.
just moved back to Houston, so no real need for AWD
Old 06-15-12, 04:53 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Camry SE V6?
has a little bit of punch, with a little bit of luxury.... and reliable
Old 06-16-12, 05:37 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
just moved back to Houston, so no real need for AWD
The LGT is still a pretty fun car to toss around with the 5spd though. Fairly nice interior as well and mod-friendly if you go down the route.
Old 06-16-12, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
requirements-- not much, lower mileage if possible (preferably under 40K) but it should be sporty and/or luxurious, hatch would be nice but not mandatory, MPG not a concern-I take public transportation to work, manual or slushbox-----but 4 door is REQUIRED....on my list are:

Mazdaspeed3 (hard pressed to find under $20K, but this is my first choice)
TSX
GTI (a very close 2nd place but I have long term reliability concerns)
WRX (definite possibility)
Civic Si (a little low end)

anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks!
Several things.

First, the WRX, according to Consumer Reports, unlike most American-market Subarus, has had worse-than-average reliability. The GTI, as you note, is also not a good bet in that department. The TSX, MazdaSpeed3 and Si, if well-cared-for, should be OK in that department....but, if you are buying used, check your sample out as well as you can. Pocket-rockets tend to have been driven hard, especially if previously-owned by young people, and major components on them could be worn.

Second, if you want sporty and luxurious at the same time, and you are willing to buy new, wait a few months and check out the upcoming Buick Verano Turbo. American-market versions lack the hatch that the Chinese-market Buick Excelle version does, but it does have the 4 doors (though the rear-seat room is tight). I've driven non-turbo Veranos, and they are a superb combination of refinement, interior trim, tomb-quietness (by compact-car standards), and much better, more sport-oriented steering/handling than traditional Buicks. I have a very high opinion of this car myself, and am considering one, but am waiting a few more months before shopping to see how its first-year reliability holds up. By then, the turbo model should be out...it will run on regular gas, and have a 6MT option.

Third, if you want something under 40K (and reliability is not a major concern), also check out a new Audi A3 five-door hatch. Both the the 2.0T gas and TDI diesel engines are gems, and so is the S-Tronic dual-clutch transmission (one of the few American-market Audis where the S-Tronic is still available) In addition, you can get the superb Quattro AWD system for bad weather...all for under 40K, even with options. If possible, though, I'd avoid Audis MMI system. Like BMW's I-Drive, I find it very difficult and frustrating to use..............but some people don't have any problem, and you might not either.

Good Luck.
Old 06-16-12, 11:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

IS350 if still want Lexus reliability