Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

One of my close friends gets an auto salesman's job.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I can never advise anyone I know to buy a GM of any type without knowing that ALL models have inherent quality issues with ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends... These repairs can become quite costly. I would also bet money that the car is not aligned well from the factory.

The biggest problem I always see with any reviews is that people focus on what engine, interior build quality, etc, but rarely ever talk about how shoddy the parts they use underneath are...
I may be wrong, but some of the shoddiest automotive quality I've seen (in the American market) was on AMC 70's-vintage vehicles and Chrysler products built from the late 1970s up to just the last couple of years or so. GM and Ford also had their share of losers, especially in the 1980s. My brother owned a 1979 Renault 5 (Le Car), which was fun to drive, but whose quality was as bad or worse than even the American cars of the period.

The Verano is not a typical American-designed GM compact (though it uses a GM Ecotec four). Much of it, underneath the Buick sound-insulation and trim, comes from the latest-generation German Opel Astra.....a car that, years ago, used to be junk, but is now quite highly-regarded. Prevous-Generation Astras were also sold under the Saturn and Vauxhall Astra nameplates....but the Saturn version sold in very low numbers here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-12 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-18-12, 09:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Congrat's to your friend, but don't go and rush a major purchase like this because he got a new job. I know you want to help him out but I would steer clear of buick, at least for now. They JUST got back in the game. I would give them some time.

Maybe that's just me though. I gave Dodge (Chrysler) a year of research and thorough investigation before I bought my truck...Made sure their new quality standards were up to par with my expectations of a $40,000 truck.
Like I told Mike, just a few posts back....................I usually don't buy a car on the spur of the moment. I don't intend to now either. I've liked the Verano for some time..... but it's not the only fish in the sea. In fact, I'm waiting for some reliability data on it, preferably from Consumer Reports...right now, it's too new a vehicle.

And, of course, as far as one year goes, that alone is not long enough, in most cases, to gauge long-term reliability.....but it often does indicate if the vehicle was well-assembled at the factory. Factory-goofs from poor fits, misaligned machines/robots, ill-fitting screws/bolts/pins, bad welds, etc.... usually (but not always) show up early in a vehicle's life. Many original design-goofs on the part of the engineers, though, often don't show up until later in the vehicle's life (hopefully before the end of the warranty). And warranties on certain parts are sometimes extended if a pattern of premature failures is noted.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-12 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-18-12, 10:16 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen one verano on the street here in southern california.

I think buick and GM does well in china but horrible here in north america.

I wouldn't touch the verrano due to resale value. It will plummet fast.
Old 06-18-12, 10:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I haven't seen one verano on the street here in southern california.
SoCal, like my own D.C. area, has so many cars running around that it takes a while for almost any new vehicle to be noticeable. They are the two heaviest-traffic areas in the country.....though several other metro-areas are close.

GM saw that Buick filled the void between Chevy and Cadillac better than Pontiac did. That's why Pontiac went and Buick stayed.

I wouldn't touch the verrano due to resale value. It will plummet fast.
By today's standards, it's not an expensive a car to start with (23-29K, maybe 30 with all options), so one probably will not lose his or her shirt even if depreciation is higher than average.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-12 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 06:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
buick may not be huge in NA but gm certainly is.
Old 06-19-12, 09:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
although not having driven any of them, i would exect that none of those will ride as comfortably or as quietly as the verano.

and the dart is more boy racer...
Buicks in China have nothing to do with ones you buy in the USA. As to the Verano, isnt it Opel Astra Sedan? If so, not sure that it rides comfortably. Buick in USA is based on Opel models and Opel is company that is currently failing so bad that GM doesnt know what to do with it anymore.
Old 06-19-12, 01:40 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Verano is a nice choice. At 183 or so inches long, I found it to be the perfect length for a sedan. Civic is too short and Camry is too long. So the new 3-series, Volvo S60 would also be nice candidates if I am in the market for a mid-sized sedan. Verano and all other Buicks vehicles look a bit too mature for my age(thirties) but probably more suitable for those in their upper forties and older. My only suggestion is wait for the ninth generation Honda Accord, that is, if you want to wait. Hopefully the new Accord sedan would be at least 3 inches shorter than the current one, but even so it would still be 190" long. I miss my fifth gen Accord, so nimble and has perfect size. If you don't mind a big sedan like I do, how about the new VW Passat?
Old 06-19-12, 02:31 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck to your friend. A lot depends on the owners & sales management he's working under. I think some places hire green-peas just to get all their contacts and then they drop them. A lot of family dealership owners are pillars of their community, but treat their employees like dirt. Then again, I've known men & women who have been with the same dealership for ages and do quite well.
Old 06-19-12, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Good luck to your friend. A lot depends on the owners & sales management he's working under. I think some places hire green-peas just to get all their contacts and then they drop them. A lot of family dealership owners are pillars of their community, but treat their employees like dirt. Then again, I've known men & women who have been with the same dealership for ages and do quite well.
Thanks, caddy. I'm sure he'll do his part.....but, as you note, sometimes the sheep get mixed in among wolves. He's always been a responsible person (his military experience, of course, helped there). He doesn't know a whole lot about cars right now, but that's one area where I'm helping him out a little.
Old 06-19-12, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Buicks in China have nothing to do with ones you buy in the USA.
Yes and no....depends on the model.

As to the Verano, isnt it Opel Astra Sedan?
It came off an Astra platform....also shared, to some extent, with the Cruze. The dashboard and door-panels are pure Astra, with only very minor differences in Buick trim. I see nothing wrong wth that.....the Astra, unlike some past Opels, seems to be highly-rated in Europe, and won at least one Car of the Year award there.

If so, not sure that it rides comfortably.
The American-market version (Verano), of course, is not a pillow-soft traditional big Buick, but it is not as stiff as its big-brother Regal, and, like its other big-brother LaCrosse, is an excellent combination of ride/handling. And the sound-insulation easily sets the standard in the compact-car class. Buick worked very hard on the Verano to keep the noise out.

Buick in USA is based on Opel models and Opel is company that is currently failing so bad that GM doesnt know what to do with it anymore.
GM apparantly does know what to do with the Opels. They seem to be making nice Buicks....the division hasn't done this well in decades.
Old 06-19-12, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I think Verano is a nice choice. At 183 or so inches long, I found it to be the perfect length for a sedan.
Yep....a good size for urban/suburban commuting and parking, but not too small for Interstate driving.

My only suggestion is wait for the ninth generation Honda Accord, that is, if you want to wait.
I have an enormous amount of respect for the Accord's build-quality (and have helped others shop for Accords). For several reasons, though, it's probably not the car for me, though I like the AWD in the otherwise awkwardly-designed Crosstour version. But, in general, I'd get another Outback before an Accord.

how about the new VW Passat?
I reviewed and test-drove two versions of the new Passat. Nicely-done, and with a diesel option, but not a car I really fell in love with. The American version is also designed to compete primarily with traditional, appliance-like Camrys, and has (now) lost some of its former German road-manners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-12 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 02:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Today on the way home from getting my Mazda serviced i stopped into a large Buick-Cadillac dealership to look at the XTS. While in there I sat in a Verano and was impressed. I didn't drive it or spend a lot of time in it, but it had a nice look and feel to both the interior and exterior.

The rep I was talking to said (his opinons only) he feels the Regal is lost in between the Verano and LaCross and wouldn't be surprised if it just became the RS only and was Buick's sport sedan/performance model. Again just speculation only.