Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Check out this article "10 ways German cars rule the road "

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 12:34 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The article sidesteps a major, not-especially-PC factor: In emerging asian economies like China, there is a strong resentment to Japan due to their aggression in WWII and other cultural factors. Many mainland Chinese wouldn't be caught dead driving a Japanese car, giving German automakers a big leg-up over their Japanese rivals.
Old 06-24-12, 12:56 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the late 80s and especially through the 90s, it seemed like the Japanese could do no wrong - not just in cars either. It was in that period that Lexus blew up. Lately though the German brands have been winning the marketing fight, helped mainly by their relentless expansion into ever newer niches and their ability to cater to different markets. Their lineups are large and varied and they build many "enthusiast" and "aspirational" cars.

Lexus on the other hand has been slow, lumbering, and unwilling to change. The brand sells no two door coupes let alone the 4 door ones the Germans do. The "F" subbrand has been slow out of the gate as well, with only the aging IS-F and hyper niche LFA being the real drivers. Meanwhile Mercedes not only has an AMG version of the C-class, but an even more exclusive (and gaudy) AMG Black version. And we all know the variety of drivetrain and trim options the German 3 offer in more attainable segments overseas.

If Lexus wants to maintain relevance they need an onslaught of new product, and I don't mean the core models like the ES, GS, and LS. Lexus needs sexy coupes (2 and 4 door), and genuine "F" versions of those coupes as well as versions of the GS, IS, and LS. This won't happen any time soon, meanwhile the Germans have already pulled ahead.

Focusing on core volume models is fine, but it's the higher end niche stuff that powers the brand. The S65 AMG is why a C-class sport owner can proudly drive around with a dinner plate sized 3 pointed star on his grill.

Personally I am not a German car fan by any means. I feel there is more value in the intangibles with those cars and it's way beyond where I draw the line. I do not see greater value in a dinner plate size 3 pointed star, certainly not enough to warrant the extra price.

Check out this article "10 ways German cars rule the road "-bjzbn.jpg
Old 06-24-12, 03:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If combine the strengths of Lexus and the German 3, we would have a luxury brand that excel in everything, thus unbeatable.
Old 06-24-12, 08:29 PM
rocks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I find ironic is how most of the Lexus loyalists detest German cars and claim they are some of the most unreliable pos one can ever buy. Yet; in Japan, Lexus is not seen with the same high regard. Over there, they prefer German luxury cars. I was shocked when I learned this from someone who resides in Japan. I was told LS's are mostly used as exec sedans and that the other cars are not highly desired over there. Even-though its common knowledge than Toyota makes cars that are superior in terms of reliability to all German marques, the Japanese themselves would rather be seen in a 5 series than a GS.
Old 06-24-12, 08:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rocks
What I find ironic is how most of the Lexus loyalists detest German cars and claim they are some of the most unreliable pos one can ever buy. Yet; in Japan, Lexus is not seen with the same high regard. Over there, they prefer German luxury cars. I was shocked when I learned this from someone who resides in Japan. I was told LS's are mostly used as exec sedans and that the other cars are not highly desired over there. Even-though its common knowledge than Toyota makes cars that are superior in terms of reliability to all German marques, the Japanese themselves would rather be seen in a 5 series than a GS.
Sorry but there is no irony since most people here have issues with the article and not the cars. So lets not paint Lexus loyalists in a light that is not accurate. Most here also appreciate German cars but felt the article was biased.

If you actually read what I said, I mostly actually agree with the article.

As for Japan, well its a point the article made on why Germans dominate. However you leave out a few key facts like
1. Lexus just entered Japan in 2006/2007 whereas the Germans have been there for ages
2. Lexus has skyrocketed from the bottom to the top/near top in sales there

So your point "they prefer" German cars is not accurate anymore since Lexus is selling like hotcakes at home. Of course some in Japan will always prefer German cars, its their prerogative and its like that everywhere.

Germany has 3 heavyweights in Audi/BMW/Mercedes-Benz. Then Porsche is a luxury brand now, just selling in lower volumes but they are growing. That is 4 incredible car companies from Germany. From Japan it is mostly Lexus. It is a lopsided fight and no way will Lexus by themselves defeat German supremacy.

Old 06-25-12, 12:25 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

It's funny that the equivilent of Lexus cars have been on sale in Japan home market for ages, Aristo, cygnus, etc. And my buddy told me when the Lexus went on sale over there, people are willing to pay a lot more for basically rebadged cars.
Old 06-25-12, 01:03 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

4, 6, 8 are all bunch of BS reasons. i don't see German cars as nothing but the bridge between the gaps of Asian affordability and the Italian/British exclusivity.
Old 06-25-12, 01:59 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As bad as with Mercedes and Porsche shops? Among mass-produced brands, those two brands generally set the screw-the-customer standard for parts/repair-prices.
Idk, I never owned a MB or Porsche before, nor do I ever plan on getting either one. German cars as a whole are just too pricey for me.
Old 06-25-12, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300

In emerging asian economies like China, there is a strong resentment to Japan due to their aggression in WWII and other cultural factors.

Many mainland Chinese wouldn't be caught dead driving a Japanese car, giving German automakers a big leg-up over their Japanese rivals.
After WWII, it went beyond just lingering anti-Japanese resentment. 1940s and 1950s-vintage Japanese vehicles simply weren't worth buying....they were basically like toys. Back then, the term "Made in Japan" was considered a joke.

But, of course, the Japanese were learnng quick. In a couple more decades, they would be a serious force in the auto-industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If the Germans build the best cars then why has Lexus BLOWN UP since they hit the market in 1989 ??? Its because the German car companies cant design a car as reliable and durable as Lexus. Year after year the numbers do not lie.
Yes and no. Before the 1990s, Mercedes did (arguably) build a car as good as Lexus. Back then, they set the industry standard in quality and reliability. However, when Lexus came along, they admittedly one-upped Mercedes by delivering the former Mercedes-type quality at a 35K LS400 price (and superior customer service) that Mercedes simply couldn't match. They were forced to cut costs, doing so in the quality of their cars, and the rest, of course, is history.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-12 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 08:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
well thats a bit of old story - when Lexus just started selling in Japan, they didnt have full lineup and some were previously sold as Toyota, hence they were not #1 in sales... but few years later, Lexus took the crown and keeps holding it.

Another thing is the fact that Toyota Crown series still sells like crazy in Japan and alone sells more than MB/BMW/Audi.

Lexus is constantly growing too. Once it relied only on US market, today around 60% of sales come outside of USA. They will probably sell around 550k-600k cars this year, and when new IS, ES and baby RX come out, most likely that will go over 700k-750k.

More than that will take years as Lexus is not willing to go downmarket. For instance, I think new ESh would sell good in Europe. Most A4's and A6's here are FWD, so why not Lexus? But they are not even considering it, keeping it only in Russia.

Nevertheless, numbers are actually pretty good... next year Lexus has a chance to sell more than Subaru, worldwide... that cant be bad, right?
Old 06-25-12, 08:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well, I was almost right, 50% came from USA:

Lexus global sales in 2011: 403939. Top five markets were USA (198552), China (56377), Japan (42365), Russia (13698)
So China is still bigger than Japan :-), despite the fact that Lexus is not locally build and has large engines that are taxed heavily.

The carmaker is gunning for global sales of 510,000 vehicles this year, up from 404,000 last year.