Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Check out this article "10 ways German cars rule the road "

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 05:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check out this article "10 ways German cars rule the road "

Interesting read. Do you agree of it though?

I hate when they say Lexus is second tier status. Isn't Lexus ranked 3rd right after Audi and

BMW and it's Tier 1 brand?

Here you go:
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/...une/index.html

On the side note, didn't know they even offer long wheel base 3 series in China.

Last edited by blacksc400; 06-21-12 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 05:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
On the side note, didn't know they even offer long wheel base 3 series in China.
The Chinese love rear seat leg room, so there are a bunch of oddball long wheel base car that are only sold in China. Companies make whatever sell
Old 06-21-12, 07:48 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mercedes nearly lost their panache during the "merger" with Chrysler. I'm surprised they let Smart into the dealerships. Audi does everything they can to distance themselves from the commoner VW cousins. BMW is wisely keeping Mini separate.

My general opinion of German cars: designed by fine German engineers to be frequently maintained by expensive German technicians.
Old 06-21-12, 09:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,883 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Was that an advertisement?
Old 06-21-12, 10:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

No, it's an article, you probably went too far after the last page.
Old 06-21-12, 10:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,883 Likes on 2,436 Posts

I didn't click too far. The entire thing read as a German car lovers wet dream, the last paragraph to me is utterly ridiculous. Not an article but a veiled advert as to why German cars rule the road. They even take a dig at Ferrari, Porsche is better because they sell more cars. Really?
Old 06-21-12, 10:56 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much more than marketing fluff, except history which is very true and maybe the Autobahn which helps German manufacturers do better high-speed validation. All the rest is crap, and this coming from a Porsche driver who has also owned MBs and VWs.

The Germans have not mastered (or are unwilling to move towards) long-term reliability and low running costs. The fact that some models are the pinnacle of automotive performance is irrelevant. The mass-market models are still way more expensive to run than Japanese cars.

Last edited by superchan7; 06-21-12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-22-12, 01:34 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perception is reality for some people. Lexus just lost the US luxury crown in sales just last year, they held on for 11 straight years. I wonder why?? I don't dismiss German cars, they are targeted towards performance oriented drivers and they also deliver excellent design and luxury, no doubt about it.

Lexus has not expanded in markets where these cars have had a long term presence. Also, Lexus IMO has not done the level of marketing and offered the heavy incentives as the others have, but I think we already seeing a change, and as Lexus steps ups it's marketing, I believe we will see it capture much more market share, just look at the GS sales figures since it was introduced, and let's wait and see how the ES, and indeed the IS, LS, etc., performs.

It's funny how the reviewer just glosses over the fact that Lexus delivers better quality, and service and might I add reliability??, Umm, very important not to have your car in the shop every month or so. The only car that can 'boast' about reliability is Porsche, the rest have always scored poorly in the reliability column. I think the writer needs to lighten up on the juice.
Old 06-22-12, 04:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When Hitler invented teh Gėrman car, God invented Lexus. Take your pick!
Old 06-22-12, 05:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes,the article was over the top as are a few members here on anything Lexus/Toyota.
Old 06-22-12, 05:11 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Perception is reality for some people. Lexus just lost the US luxury crown in sales just last year, they held on for 11 straight years. I wonder why?? ...
Supply issues due to the earthquake and ensuing tsunami, perhaps? Even the Cambridge plant where the RX are made, couldn't crank out the cars once they ran out of parts. One of the dealerships around here, had nothing left (IS, EX, RX) on the lot, just what was in the showroom.
Old 06-22-12, 05:12 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
When Hitler invented teh Gėrman car, God invented Lexus. Take your pick!
This thread is going to end up in the clubhouse debate forum.
Old 06-22-12, 05:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

lol at the article... i would argue that the country that has Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Ducati and Aprilia has more racing heritage than Germany.

Not to mention that they say how Ferrari is boutique competitor to Porsche since Porsche sells 20x the cars, as if thats good thing... lol.
Old 06-22-12, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
When Hitler invented the Gėrman car,
If you are refering to the original 1930's air-cooled Beetle, much of its design actually came from the rear-engined/air-cooled Tatra, which was already in production next door in Czechoslovakia.

Old 06-22-12, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
The Germans have not mastered (or are unwilling to move towards) long-term reliability and low running costs.
In the past, the Germans (at least with Mercedes), did master quality and reliability. For decades, from the 1930s through the 1980s, with a couple occasional exceptions here and there like the ultra-durable Chrysler engines/automatic transmissions of the 1960s, Mercedes and Maybach (a Mercedes cousin) built what were considered the most reliable and durable cars in the industry. That did not change until the 1990's...partly because of competition from Lexus and Infiniti that Mercedes could not handle, and the company was forced to cut costs.

In fact, (though, because of several factors, I don't entirely agree with it), Mercedes (Gottieb Daimler) is considered by some historians to have invented the engine-driven automobile.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-22-12 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Check out this article "10 ways German cars rule the road "