Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are black cars currently so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 02:00 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Black Onyx (GS4), Pearl White (Stealth RT/TT) and Magnetic Red Metallic (Widebody C6.) Of the 3 I like the black GS the most. The mirror-like finish after a thorough detail sets it apart. I just don't see it with other colors. I don't like all the work it takes to get it looking great and the short time it lasts can be disappointing but it's still worth it. The Pearl White actually hides dirt the best of the three though.
Old 06-26-12, 02:34 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

black just looks good on everything, some people say black is bad because u see all the swirls and knicks.

but I say they find another paint finish technology to prevent that. Black is too nice of a color not to have even with all the negative side effects.
Old 06-27-12, 02:08 AM
Ayaney4
Driver School Candidate

It looks attractive to me and that is one of the reason they are seen more then others because people like this color. They look more expensive in black color.
Old 06-27-12, 11:43 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you ever noticed how just about ANY vehicle looks good if it is black & spotlessly clean? If I was selling new cars & had a indoor showroom, I would always have a new black car in the middle of the showroom perfectly clean & polished. People see this and want it. When I sold new cars years ago people would agree to buy a car on the "showroom floor", when managers would offer them a identical car outside on the lot usually they refused & said I want this car. With all the new car "designs" with awkward "character lines" & corporate faces, nothing blends these stylings like black paint, thus several models that look much better in black.
Old 06-27-12, 02:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I love black cars, just not a daily driver. My old IS daily driver was black and I will never own another black daily driver. Too hard to maintain and imperfections show the most on black cars. However, there is nothing like a clean black car. When I went to an auction with a friend of mine who was a GM of a dealership, he would only buy black cars and sometimes silver. He said black cars were the easiest to sell.
Old 06-27-12, 04:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I say the same thing about my wife.
Old 06-27-12, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well.......talk about some eerie timing of this thread on my part. A friend of mine (guy I used to work with) E-mailed me this evening that he bought a nice 2008 black Corvette convertible with the 6-speed and sport-suspension.....only 14,000 miles. (No, I didn't know of it when I did this thread). I've gone car-shopping with him before, but this time, he did it himself.

I'll post pictures if and when he gives them to me.
Old 06-27-12, 11:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw a new white vette at the gas station, we gave each other a big thumb up.
Old 06-28-12, 01:53 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, as difficult it is to keep clean, I will always love black cars. It pops out on the roads after a fresh detail and despite the constant maintenance to keep it pristine, I personally think it is worth it.
Old 06-29-12, 12:09 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Most people don't care about color, new cars look perfect, color is an after thought, car washes do a fine job for most, its not until the car is 5 plus years old has been neglected and the paint is dull and flat that it becomes a problem
Old 06-29-12, 12:31 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are black cars so popular you ask?

This is when pictures answer questions better than words do

/ Thread
Old 06-29-12, 02:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Being in an industrial area where color matters, I seen black widely used to convey an image of luxury.
Old 06-29-12, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Most people don't care about color, new cars look perfect, color is an after thought, car washes do a fine job for most, its not until the car is 5 plus years old has been neglected and the paint is dull and flat that it becomes a problem
Some (not all) public car washes can, and often do, harm the paint and trim (I saw one, once, that even scratched glass with very fine swirls). I avoid them like the plague.
Old 06-29-12, 08:02 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

A black car is menacing. It reflects everything around it.
Old 06-29-12, 09:01 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My friend has a Black BMW. Today was in high 90's temp, and I opened his door and it felt like an oven. Doesn't help that inside was black too. He's got heavy tint but that didn't help for crap. In Florida I'd NEVER drive a black car.

Quick Reply: Why are black cars currently so popular?