Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are black cars currently so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 08:58 PM
Dreamzop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some car are sexy when it comes to black and white.
Old 07-03-12, 11:38 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
Why are black cars so popular you ask?

This is when pictures answer questions better than words do

/ Thread
Wow, enough said....
Old 07-03-12, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
Why are black cars so popular you ask?

This is when pictures answer questions better than words do
No, with all due respect (and I'm not trying to be rude, since I did ask for opinions). But those pictures, while interesting, IMO don't answer the question. One does not buy a car to look at a girl's butt, mountain/city scenery, or set the ride-height/suspension and rubber-band tires so low that the car is virtually undriveable over any kind of street-bump, pavement-imperfection, or ramp.

So, my honest opinion of why black is so popular? A lot of guys (perhaps some women too, but mostly younger men) simply look on it as the new tough, rebel-color for aggressive-driving and associaton with speeding, drifting, street-racing, and a general tough-guy, testosterone-laden image. No, of course, that stereotype doesn't apply to all black cars, as many larger black sedans and hearses are part of the funeral/limo/rental/VIP-car buisnesses, and not all younger guys with black cars drive like morons. But, in general, a lot of younger people seem to consider black as the "tough" color for sport-oriented cars.......replacing what was once bright-red. (Insurance compenies, BTW, sometimes used to charge more for bright red cars, all else equal....especially bright red manual-transmission sports cars).

Perhaps (but not definitely) the black-car/tough-guy image may have started decades ago with the 1977 Smokey and the Bandit-film and Burt Reynolds' black/gold-trim Trans-Am. A close friend of mine, BTW, has a nice 1979 T/A in exactly those same colors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-12 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 09:59 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Hee-hee. I like black painted cars when it is owned by someone who can keep it constantly clean. Bug splats are easier to identify on a black car too. They also contrast much nicer with the blue low tack painters tape when applied.
Old 07-04-12, 06:49 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Put three well-maintained, same model and year cars side by side. One black, one red and one white. In my opinion, the black will look more expensive, luxurious, and refined than the other two. The red will look more fun to drive than the other two and the white will be unimpressive and utilitarian. When dirty, the black will look neglected and average, the red will still look fun and the white will look unchanged.

And agreed, the black does look good with the blue painters' tape, that's why I stopped using the green.
Old 07-04-12, 11:04 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoaringSC
A black car is menacing. It reflects everything around it.
+1 Black cars are shiny. Shiny is good.
Old 07-04-12, 02:58 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Gloss Black is a PITA to clean and keep clean. Now I plan on having my LS flat black for a while. I'm doing body work to it and once I finish an area I can just rattle can it flat black again and it won't even be noticeable at all. Now once I finish all the bodywork, it is gona be sprayed a lighter color.
Old 07-04-12, 04:34 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres my quick take on it... and i don't think this answers it 100%, but it probably part of the equation.

Look at black from a clothing standpoint. it's slimming, goes with anything (safe) and a lot of people wear black all the time whether it's a casual occasion or formal... more so than any other color (i don't have facts on this; it's just my perception). Well, since we know people LOVE bland cars because they're 'safe' bets as far as looks go and they won't stand out, perhaps individuals are using this same attitude toward car colors... wanting a safe color that looks good ("slimming" sort of). And they are comfortable with black because of its recent 'positive' history and social perceptions of it.
Old 07-04-12, 07:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

a black car is more classy and luxurious looking. sure it's harder to maintain, but when clean and waxed it looks like a million bucks (imho). here's pics of my GS:
Attached Thumbnails Why are black cars currently so popular?-sl270542-copy.jpg   Why are black cars currently so popular?-sl270547.jpg   Why are black cars currently so popular?-sl270448a.jpg  
Old 07-04-12, 08:03 PM
jasver73
Driver School Candidate

At the end of the day to keep a black car looking good takes one word..."EFFORT.". If you are not the kind of car owner that wants that kind of responsibility, then owning a black car will never appeal to you. Overall, the feeling I get when driving my very clean, and waxed LS 460, is not like any other color I have had over the years. I will only own black/black cars simply because that is what I prefer. Like so many others have so eloquently said, and it bears repeating: there really is nothing like a clean black car" period.
Old 07-04-12, 11:17 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

StormForge-You need some TINT man...car looks great though!

I LOVE looking at black cars, but as **** as I am with detailing, and knowing what I know about the profession, I really just dont want to take on the challenge at this point in my life.
Old 07-06-12, 03:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Mine being white, it probably looks fat to other LS400s.
Old 07-06-12, 03:37 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at the exhaust tips on Stormforge's GS. On a white car...blah on that black GS...wow!! Black makes the details (exhaust tip, chrome lettering, rims, etc) just flash.
Old 07-08-12, 07:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

As much as I hate cleaning my black cars, they look awesome when clean. The amount of compliments I get when I drive my black LS and SC around is crazy.

I've noticed that silver and white are really popular out here as well, especially with the luxury cars and exotics.
Old 07-08-12, 11:39 AM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Black tends to hide and blend the gap lines between panels and doors better. With all the crazy cutlines during the Bangle era BMW's, black was the only color that looks decent. Even with the Mercedes E and C class, the wide gap of the wrap around hood looks tolerable only on black. Black just makes a car look more seamless.

I'm boring and hate scratches that show, so I have 3 silver and 1 white cars.

Last edited by bsl888; 07-08-12 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Why are black cars currently so popular?