Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are black cars currently so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Why are black cars currently so popular?

Let's get some CL and CAR CHAT opinions on this one. One of the things I have a difficult time understanding is why jet- black, black-metallic, and near-black paint-hues are so popular now. Seems like so many enthusiasts are determined that black is the "cool" color to have.....though, believe me, with the hot sun baking on it, black is anything but cool.

There has to be reasons why so many people like them......obviously, black cars, especially in sport/performance models, sell in droves, and some dealerships regularly stock only black, gray/silver, or white colors in some models. Whatever those reasons are, I'll have an open mind.. In its favor,I know that black is a neutral exterior color that goes with almost any interior color. But, as I see it, black is a PITA of a color to own and take care of, unless you wash it religiously every day, keep it out of the sun, and use a scratch-remover reguarly (you all know, of course, that I like SCRATCH-OUT). Black paint tends to show every fine scratch, speck of dirt, flake of dust, and fingerprint. As I mentioned earlier, it can get hot enough in bright sunlight to cook food (I know some people who have actually done that). Drive a black car on winter-salted roads, and the result can almost make you gasp. Unless done with absolute perfection (which is virtually impossible in an aftermarket body-shop), black paint from accident repair/body-shops can usually easily be distinguished from factory-original black (I've spotted it many times on car-inspections).

So.....in a nutshell, I know a lot of you guys (and maybe some ladies) drive those black cars you love so much. If it's not asking too much, let's hear why?

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-12 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 10:46 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some cars just look RIGHT in black.

I personally think the only reason why I don't like black is for all of the reasons you mentioned regarding the care and maintenance--but in terms of pure aesthetics, I can dig a polished black car.
Old 06-25-12, 10:58 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought white was the "in" color.
Old 06-25-12, 11:00 AM
LexFather

There is simply nothing like a clean black car....classy, sporty, looks good for any occasion...
Attached Thumbnails Why are black cars currently so popular?-1sickpics-050807-ams-021.jpg   Why are black cars currently so popular?-7.jpg  

Old 06-25-12, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for some cars, black is just the way to go. but not all cars though
Old 06-25-12, 11:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned 1 black car....NEVER AGAIN!!! shows dirt and flaws way too easily...not to mention I live in Houston where its hot as hell....white or silver ONLY!!!!
Old 06-25-12, 11:07 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was buying my car, the car I wanted ( pearl white ) was just transfered to another store, so the sales offered me another Individual package 7 with black exterior, a year newer with less mileage actually, and he was willing to do the same price on it since he didn't have the car he promised me that he will have it ready when I come in. I rejected right away ( didn't even get close to the car ), and told them I wouldn't even consider a black car no matter what kind of deal I get. So I had to sit there for extra 2 hours, wait for them to drive the white one back.
Having owned many black cars before, I wouldn't want to have another one because the maintanance on it. It will only look good for half a day after you carefully wash and wax it, then it gets dusty and dull again.
Old 06-25-12, 11:23 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My two previous RSX & G35x are black....I love black car with black exterior & interior. Although its not easy to keep it "shine & clean" for long, the cleaning process is actual easier. It takes not no time to clean them. Especially the black interior, just wipe & apply some leather conditioner or shine & it will look new. My sc's ecru interior is a real pita to clean now.

A "blackout" car looks cool & easy to accomplish by tint & power coating the wheel.
Another reason is resale. Its so easy to sell a black then another color. Almost all age tend to accept a black car.
Old 06-25-12, 12:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
When I was buying my car, the car I wanted ( pearl white ) was just transfered to another store, so the sales offered me another Individual package 7 with black exterior, a year newer with less mileage actually, and he was willing to do the same price on it since he didn't have the car he promised me that he will have it ready when I come in. I rejected right away ( didn't even get close to the car ), and told them I wouldn't even consider a black car no matter what kind of deal I get. So I had to sit there for extra 2 hours, wait for them to drive the white one back.
Having owned many black cars before, I wouldn't want to have another one because the maintanance on it. It will only look good for half a day after you carefully wash and wax it, then it gets dusty and dull again.
sometimes i think it also depends on the finish. personally i am a bit hesitant with lexus black. lexus paint is very soft and it's really painful to keep up (ask me with a black ls460l before). but mb and bmw have some harder paint and might "stay" better
Old 06-25-12, 12:16 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Luxury cars in black just look right. Luxurious and opulent. Deep reflections. HOWEVER, once you've had a black car chances are high your next car won't be black, it's just too much of a hassle to keep clean and no matter what you do your going to get swirls.

I believe white is the the new "it" color right now, not black.
Old 06-25-12, 12:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

white, in fact, is the most common color for a car. I think you may just be noticing many of the black cars
Old 06-25-12, 12:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I've owned 1 black car....NEVER AGAIN!!! shows dirt and flaws way too easily...not to mention I live in Houston where its hot as hell....white or silver ONLY!!!!
I feel the same way. I miss the way the dark GS I had would polish up but the swirls, scratches, and dirt all show up so clearly I will avoid it in the past. I kind of like burgundy
Old 06-25-12, 12:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus black is one of the worst, it's a single stage paint with no clear, if I remembered right. After a while, all things show up, it gets scratches, swrils so easily.

And I agree the MB and BMW black is harder, it was easier to clean my old S class after a wash, but it was still PITA.
Old 06-25-12, 01:14 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black cars LOOK amazing when clean and AWFUL when dirty. I personally have only had one black car and never again waaay to much work. They are heard to beat in terms of looks though when they are freshly detailed.
Old 06-25-12, 01:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
white, in fact, is the most common color for a car. I think you may just be noticing many of the black cars
BUT, white is the rarest of C6 colors produced -- Chevy only keeps making it due to history of the car in white.

Quick Reply: Why are black cars currently so popular?