Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 08:34 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I don't care for the pics, it does seem as though it will look good standing near it. The same is true with the 3rd gen. That is what's important. I would have liked a cleaner design but as others point out, this is a look at me car.
Old 09-11-15, 06:46 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but the problem with 'saving money' like that is you have to drive a 5 year old prius 45 mi. a day - i'd rather drive something i'm not going to immediately hate.
^
This is the most common misconception with the Prius.

"Why would I buy a Prius, when I can get the same mileage in a Jetta TDI?"

The Prius will save you money from all directions, not just at the pump.
Old 09-11-15, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default Next gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
^
This is the most common misconception with the Prius.

"Why would I buy a Prius, when I can get the same mileage in a Jetta TDI?"

The Prius will save you money from all directions, not just at the pump.
But the Jetta TDI would be enjoyable to drive.
Old 09-11-15, 06:53 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
But the Jetta TDI would be enjoyable to drive.
Jetta TDIs are massively overrated IMO in terms of fun factors and drivability.

If youre looking for a "fun" car to drive, buy a Porsche 911.

Going back to my main point, the Prius will save you money in places other cars wont. It costs so little to keep the thing running.
Old 09-11-15, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Next gen (2016) Toyota Prius

A Jetta TDI is more rewarding to drive than a Prius, there's no disputing that.

As for cost to drive, I had one for 7 years. Really what you save money on is brakes. I'd much rather pay a few hundred dollars for brakes and drive something worth driving.

If your goal is to drive something cheap, a $30,000 Prius isn't the car. Now, if the improvements they've made to this Prius here that makes it drive more like a $30,000 car, then that's something. The previous iterations of the Prius however have not lived up to their price points as cars.

And the comment that one should "get a Porsche 911 if you want a fun car" is absurd. There are many very rewarding cars to own and drive as a car enthusiast at every price point.
Old 09-11-15, 07:29 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

The front of the car reminds me of spiderman for some odd reason :/
Old 09-11-15, 11:20 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jetta TDIs are massively overrated IMO in terms of fun factors and drivability.

If youre looking for a "fun" car to drive, buy a Porsche 918.
It costs so little to keep the thing running.

No, no, no. This is a hybrid thread yes? You can have fun AND a hybrid. I fixed it for you.
Attached Thumbnails Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius-16694237689_48473b0bf8_c.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 09-11-15 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-12-15, 04:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
A Jetta TDI is more rewarding to drive than a Prius, there's no disputing that.

As for cost to drive, I had one for 7 years. Really what you save money on is brakes. I'd much rather pay a few hundred dollars for brakes and drive something worth driving.

If your goal is to drive something cheap, a $30,000 Prius isn't the car. Now, if the improvements they've made to this Prius here that makes it drive more like a $30,000 car, then that's something. The previous iterations of the Prius however have not lived up to their price points as cars.

And the comment that one should "get a Porsche 911 if you want a fun car" is absurd. There are many very rewarding cars to own and drive as a car enthusiast at every price point.
You can get Prius for 25k, not $30k... and if all people cared about was fun drive, then Camry and Corolla would not be best selling vehicles. Prius is so popular because it is cheap to use and maintain, easy to drive, spacious and comfortable.

Jetta for example is not a great car. Probably one of the worse cars that came out of VW in a while.
Old 09-12-15, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
You can get Prius for 25k, not $30k... and if all people cared about was fun drive, then Camry and Corolla would not be best selling vehicles. Prius is so popular because it is cheap to use and maintain, easy to drive, spacious and comfortable.

Jetta for example is not a great car. Probably one of the worse cars that came out of VW in a while.
The Prius STARTS at $25k. Typically equipped models are in the very high $20s-$30k. The current Prius tops out at $35k.

I'm not talking about it being fun to drive, I'm talking about it driving like a $30k vehicle. The Camry is not fun to drive, but it rides well and feels solid and planted, premium in every handling/driving circumstance. The current Prius doesn't mainly because of its economy style suspension setup.

If the Prius were as cheap as the Corolla I wouldn't make this argument. Corolla has the same drawbacks but its a $20k car well equipped.
Old 09-12-15, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Going back to my main point, the Prius will save you money in places other cars wont. It costs so little to keep the thing running.
Yeah but the therapist costs money because driving a prius would drive me out of my mind.

But you're right, prius running costs are very low. But the current version is still horrible to drive with a horribly cheap interior. My lawn chairs are more comfortable than the cardboard thin prius seats. And no gauges behind the steering wheel just looks butt ugly.

The ct200h is a much nicer (and much more expensive) version of a prius but terribly slow.
Old 09-12-15, 09:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Last time I heard, you could get the current Prius in the low $20's. They also lease as low as a Corolla.
Old 09-13-15, 05:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can get a Corolla for less than MSRP too.
Old 09-13-15, 08:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

With low gas prices I'm not sure prius is selling that well. Right now they're offering 0% for 60 months.
Old 09-13-15, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Definitely have to agree with the comments here about a VW Jetta TDI being nicer to drive than a Prius. Not only are the Jetta's road manners in a completely different league, but, IMO, a lot of the materials inside and out on the 3Gen Prius feel cardboard-thin......that was not the case on the older, more solid-feeling 2Gen Prius.
Old 09-13-15, 11:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely have to agree with the comments here about a VW Jetta TDI being nicer to drive than a Prius. Not only are the Jetta's road manners in a completely different league, but, IMO, a lot of the materials inside and out on the 3Gen Prius feel cardboard-thin......that was not the case on the older, more solid-feeling 2Gen Prius.
Prius never had more solid-feeling materials, they were all built to low weight and low price due to expensive powertrain and high mpg goals. G3 has better quality interior and exterior than G2.

Quick Reply: Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius