Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 11:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With low gas prices I'm not sure prius is selling that well. Right now they're offering 0% for 60 months.
both low fuel prices as well as old model is affecting Prius sales, very similar to end of 2008 before G3 was coming out, this is same everywhere worldwide.

On other hand, we had article posted here few days ago about Toyota asking unprecedented overtime over the next 6 months to build up next Prius in Japanese factories... workers will have to work extra 2hrs per shift, as well as weekends and holidays to ensure enough supply of new model.
Old 09-13-15, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Prius never had more solid-feeling materials, they were all built to low weight and low price due to expensive powertrain and high mpg goals. G3 has better quality interior and exterior than G2.
I don't agree. I too felt the materials in our 2004 G2 were better than those in the G3. The G2 had hard plastics obviously, but it also had very nice, high quality feeling and looking metallic plastic in the front dash covering as well as nice piano black high gloss console trim, etc.

When they refreshed the G2 in 2006 they replaced this metallic plastic with a grainy type plastic that wasn't as attractive IMHO.

I hated the car, but I give credit where its due.
Old 09-13-15, 11:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't agree. I too felt the materials in our 2004 G2 were better than those in the G3. The G2 had hard plastics obviously, but it also had very nice, high quality feeling and looking metallic plastic in the front dash covering as well as nice piano black high gloss console trim, etc.

When they refreshed the G2 in 2006 they replaced this metallic plastic with a grainy type plastic that wasn't as attractive IMHO.

I hated the car, but I give credit where its due.
I also had G2, and it was certainly bad quality plastic that scratched easily... also seat materials were also of poor quality. I am not talking about looks, but wear and tear was high for Toyota vehicle and Toyota would replace them under TSB when you complained.

Obviously, all of that was to keep price low due to powertrain that cost them a lot more than your typical petrol engine at the time.

Overall I liked G2 better than G3 in their times, G2 was like nothing else on the road. However it did have poor plastic, not just look and feel, but they were not wearing well.. in fact, all Toyota's designed in late 90's, early 2000's had same durability interior problems... later models might have looked as cheap or worse, but they held up better.
Old 09-13-15, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What year was your G2? Was it after the refresh as I noted above?

Ours was an 04, we had it for 7 years and put 80,000 miles on it. Seat fabrics were as good as seat fabric is. They got dirty but cleaned up well. No plastic scratches or anything in ours.
Old 09-13-15, 12:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What year was your G2? Was it after the refresh as I noted above?

Ours was an 04, we had it for 7 years and put 80,000 miles on it. Seat fabrics were as good as seat fabric is. They got dirty but cleaned up well. No plastic scratches or anything in ours.
it was 04... keep in mind i worked for Toyota at the time, so I was well aware of issues in everything we sold (not in my cars but in customers overall...)... I also drove pretty much anything we sold, plus had up to 4-5 Toyota's as my own. G3 was more common, more like a normal car which is what I think they are trying to avoid this time around.

Also, quality and durability of new Toyotas is way better than back then... not just perception of quality (touch, thickness, etc) but real life durability. Fujio Cho messed it up, Wantabe made it better and Toyoda actually changed a lot of things internally. Every decision they make is only reflected after 3-4 years at least.
Old 09-13-15, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Prius never had more solid-feeling materials, they were all built to low weight and low price due to expensive powertrain and high mpg goals. G3 has better quality interior and exterior than G2.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. The G2 Prius, IMO, was definitely more solid-feeling, inside and out, than the G3, by a noticeable amount. The G3, however, did have slightly better gas mileage from the lighter weight and updated hybrid powertrain, rode more firmly, and handled more crisply from tire/suspension changes. The G2, handling-wise, was a Roly-Poly beach ball, but it rode more comfortably.

But, to be honest, IMO, both the G2 and G3 were rather appliance-like, basic commuting machines, and not much fun to drive....as was also the G1.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 07:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Looks like a piraiba catfish

Name:  prius_zpsdotredvu.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  351.1 KB
Old 09-14-15, 11:39 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely have to agree with the comments here about a VW Jetta TDI being nicer to drive than a Prius. Not only are the Jetta's road manners in a completely different league, but, IMO, a lot of the materials inside and out on the 3Gen Prius feel cardboard-thin......that was not the case on the older, more solid-feeling 2Gen Prius.
When I had my RX in for a stereo install a Prius drove into the bay. I asked what was on deck for it. The installer surprisingly said sound deadening. I said "Aren't those super quiet cars?" Hre laughed. He replied that they get more Prius's in for sound deadening as Toyota pretty much has taken out all noise dampeners to save weight on the vehicle. Noisy car is the usual complaint of audio hounds. They do 6-10 a year.
Old 09-15-15, 04:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
When I had my RX in for a stereo install a Prius drove into the bay. I asked what was on deck for it. The installer surprisingly said sound deadening. I said "Aren't those super quiet cars?" Hre laughed. He replied that they get more Prius's in for sound deadening as Toyota pretty much has taken out all noise dampeners to save weight on the vehicle. Noisy car is the usual complaint of audio hounds. They do 6-10 a year.
no surprise to me - the few i've driven were quite noisy - mostly tire roar.
Old 09-15-15, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Prius is very loud yes.
Old 09-15-15, 03:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no surprise to me - the few i've driven were quite noisy - mostly tire roar.
yep... in my G2, I installed 3M sound deadening... of course, that does not help that much because you end up hearing more of other noises :-). It was very popular mod for Prius G2.
Old 09-17-15, 07:13 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hybrid icon is reborn! The new 2016 Toyota Prius took centre stage at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
Old 09-26-15, 04:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 Toyota Prius Brochure Reveals Factory JDM Tuning Kits
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/201...e-reveals.html
Toyota's Japanese arm is willing to provide the necessary add-ons to make it stand-out more. And who knows, maybe the optional bits will make the car look better.

Several body-enhancement accessories – specifically tailored by the brand's Modellista and Toyota Racing Development – including a wide array of rims, were spotted in a Prius JDM staff manual.

As it turns out, there are entire body kits offerings for the Japanese market version of the hybrid, making it look sharper. Toyota’s own TRD division provides a subtle package, including a center-mounted twin-exhaust complemented by a rear apron. There are two design options available for the front bumper, none of which too obvious; even the option with the LED daytime running lights seem subtle enough to pass unnoticed, although I can’t say the same about the Prius.

Naturally, all factory-grade visual enhancements are subtle, even though the wide selection of wheels varies in size, from 15 inch to 18, but the Prius can apparently also be equipped with Modellista bits and pieces. In fact, the Japanese tuner offers two specific body-kits, Icon style and Up-Grade style, each with its own unique approach and add-ons.

It’s not known if these enhancements will be available in other markets, or if they will remain JDM-exclusive.

Old 09-26-15, 08:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Pretty nice selection of factory accessories
Old 09-26-15, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Quick Reply: Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius