Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wrecked FR-S Crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 06:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wrecked FR-S Crash

Sad to see one go away so quickly...

LINK

Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete *** out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.

Old 06-28-12, 06:42 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is quite sad, but at least these aren't limited-production cars.
Old 06-28-12, 06:53 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least he is mature enough to admit his mistakes and trying to help other silly drivers avoid messing around too much
Old 06-28-12, 07:43 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

One problem with affordable sports cars is the rash of kids driving around with daddy's money. Unlike this guy who actually admitted to what he did, many of the younger ones have no idea what they're doing. I'm not that much older than this guy and even I know I was quite reckless sometimes.

I don't know what the limits of my car are (don't want to find out), but even on faster drives I wouldn't exceed about half of the car's abilities on the open road...much less than that when there is traffic or when the road is wet.
Old 06-28-12, 09:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

very mature indeed. to stand up to a forum and tell a story such as this takes some ballz
Old 06-28-12, 09:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mature but inexperienced with RWD cars. He is so used to the FWD civic and don't know what's like to drive a light weight rear drive car. Ahh, I made my mistake on my first 240sx as well. For him, he learned the lesson the hard way. At least no one was hurt and props to him to stand up and admits his fault.
Old 06-28-12, 09:51 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He seems to be pretty open with his feelings, which is rare at that age. As long as this isn't a public cry for sympathy, it is well constructed. However, the audience he is targeting young guys who want to push limits have been warned by countless others and IMO its just another drop in an ocean.
Old 06-28-12, 09:59 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Mature but inexperienced with RWD cars. He is so used to the FWD civic and don't know what's like to drive a light weight rear drive car.
My thoughts exactly as I read the first few sentences...
Old 06-29-12, 12:09 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Although very unfortunate, very thoughtful & mature of the fella to remind everyone that undermining a rwd car even at low speeds can end up with consequences.
Old 06-29-12, 12:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
this is quite sad, but at least these aren't limited-production cars.
Very true...but these cars are a bit harder to find, especially in Whiteout. This is the most popular color and backordered into the end of July.
Old 06-29-12, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

most important thing is he and passenger walked out without a scratch. car can always be replaced, health can't. i give him a lot of credit for posting maturely about the incident, that's not easy. we all learn from our mistakes, and i can only hope he continues to improve
Old 06-29-12, 05:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

this is repost from last week....
Old 06-29-12, 10:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is repost from last week....
Exactly...Honda boy states he tried to drift the RWD FRS like his FWD Honda and disaster happens....

Its in the other thread already

Old 07-02-12, 02:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

nobody likes a wrecked sports car but are we really mourning the loss of a 25K sports car??
Old 07-02-12, 08:22 PM
98Supra
Driver School Candidate

Man that sucks. Props for owning your mistake though.

Quick Reply: Wrecked FR-S Crash