Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 650i

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12 | 08:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
this thread is very dangerous...
Yes it is....for car enthusiasts.
Like I said before, I did not think I would like the car. Didn't want to. Number one on my list was the Jag XKR, which I haven't driven yet. The Jag is sexier looking but the tech of the 650i seems way superior. I also need to drive the Porsche 991. I doubt I will like it as much as the first 2 because I want a big coupe. But I want to check it out.

Discussions like this are very dangerous though. It causes people to spend unnecessary money.
Old 07-01-12 | 08:57 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
Like I said before, I did not think I would like the car. Didn't want to. Number one on my list was the Jag XKR, which I haven't driven yet. The Jag is sexier looking but the tech of the 650i seems way superior. I also need to drive the Porsche 991. I doubt I will like it as much as the first 2 because I want a big coupe. But I want to check it out.

Discussions like this are very dangerous though. It causes people to spend unnecessary money.
I was head over heels for the XK but those electrical issues drove me away but I do think the XK is the best looking though out of its competition. If I looker at Porsche's I'd settle for a 997.2 T .
Old 07-01-12 | 09:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wonder why i stay so far away from dealerships.

couple months back i made the mistake of sitting in a brand new 2012 cls63. i almost did not get out
Old 07-05-12 | 02:56 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Didn't like it until saw it lowered with wheels at Bimmerfest this year...really nice looking car. We recently had some time with it and I think most here will like it.

http://www.vossenwheels.com/CarGalle...VSCV3-768.aspx
Old 07-05-12 | 03:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Gosh darn it, Mike! You just made it even harder for me to get the car out of my head. That looks amazing. One of those times I wish your video was 5 minutes long.

Do know the tire specs?
Looks like there hardly any rubber.

Last edited by Ice350; 07-06-12 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-08-12 | 05:55 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I didn't know there was a big power increase for the next model year. 45 hp increase is huge. I would definitely hate to get one now and see the new one banging out 45 more horses. I have a few months before I'm ready, maybe it will be out by then.....or the M6!
Originally Posted by blacksc400
Guess I automatically thought 6 and 7 has same tranny. Hope Dinan come up with tune for the new motor soon! The current stage 1 already up the hp from 400 to 495, can't wait to see how much they can bump the power from 445hp.
Dinan is the way to go. $3500 for an additional 100 hp with factory matching warranty.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D903-4...0i.aspx#page=1
Old 07-08-12 | 07:04 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
CL Folding 10,000

The 6 series has been one of my favorite coupes since the SC400 and 8 series days. I'd still buy one despite all of the horror stories.

Another car I'd recommend are the W215/W216 Mercedes CL. The SL is also very nice if you like hardtop convertibles too.
Old 07-08-12 | 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Dinan is the way to go. $3500 for an additional 100 hp with factory matching warranty.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D903-4...0i.aspx#page=1
no kidding, 3500 with warranty is a great price to pay imho
Old 07-08-12 | 11:54 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Didn't like it until saw it lowered with wheels at Bimmerfest this year...really nice looking car. We recently had some time with it and I think most here will like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEF...layer_embedded

http://www.vossenwheels.com/CarGalle...VSCV3-768.aspx
When I initially saw this, that sealed the deal for me. I'm gonna be in a 650 by the end of this year.
Old 07-09-12 | 06:43 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
The 6 series has been one of my favorite coupes since the SC400 and 8 series days. I'd still buy one despite all of the horror stories.

Another car I'd recommend are the W215/W216 Mercedes CL. The SL is also very nice if you like hardtop convertibles too.
I've visited the dealer twice for a close look at the SL. While I don't think the front end looks better than the last model, I do like it enough to overlook it.
I like everything else though. I remember checking out a Benz in 2007 when I was last shopping and several of the cars had big gaps between panels and sometimes uneven gaps from one side of the car to the other. That is gone.
The interior is superb. The legroom is adequate. The power is good enough to ignore the AMG series. I know most here think that statement is sacrilege but 429 HP with over 400 ft lbs of torque producing 4.5 sprints of 0-60 is fast enough for me. The AMG does 4.2 0-60. There is the AMG SL63 that does 3.9 0-60. I'd consider that one cause that is a significant increase but it's still unnecessary. The car will never see a race track. Never even sniff one.

Anyway, next step is to test drive one. My sales guy is on vacation so stay tuned for my impressions on the SL cars.

As for the CL, that's another car I like. The car is discontinued so that's a plus for me. The next big coupe will be car S-Class Coupe. I've already driven the CL and was not very impressed. It was nice but to me, not a big enough difference over my GS. Maybe in luxury but not in the way it drives. I'll try again though. I have to remember my GS is modded and try to imagine the CL with a drop and low profile tires. But I really want something more sporty and the SL is the preference.
Old 07-12-12 | 07:43 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
2012+ s class or pre 2012? the tt v8 makes quite a difference. it's going to a very very different totally apple to orange. the s class has ridiculous space (way more than 6), far more luxury and classy inside. but the 6 is a more balanced car and sportier.

so next year they are going to up the boost on the v8 for another 45hp?! wow...
They didn't just boost it. The new engine has twin scroll turbos as opposed to single scroll turbos, and also has valvetronic. It is a different engine. Same displacement though.

BTW the 2012 models also had the 8 speed. All new BMW models and LCIs since 2011 have had the 8 speed. So ICE350 - if you want to save a few bucks, get a Dinan 650i from 2012.

One thing you didn't mention about this car is the new Bang and Olufsen system is just awesome. I was originally going to pass on it, but after listening to it, I added it to the M5 build.

Last edited by *Batman*; 07-12-12 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-12-12 | 08:38 AM
rogers2
Racer

It really depends on what you’re really looking for to be honest. I choose the CL550 over a 6 series because I prefer luxury/prestige over handling. If I had it to do it all over again I probably would get an AMG CL or SL. It's just something special about having one of those cars. I saw a white SL600 at Herb Gordon Mercedes on yesterday and I couldn't stop looking at the car. That V12 symbol was screaming for me to test drive but in the back of mind I said no. I just refinance my car and house why on earth hustle backwards.
The 6 series is very nice so I don’t think you can go wrong with that car either. No needed to save just get the M or AMG. Lastly the new XKR is nothing to sniff at.

Last edited by rogers2; 07-12-12 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-12-12 | 05:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
It really depends on what you’re really looking for to be honest. I choose the CL550 over a 6 series because I prefer luxury/prestige over handling. If I had it to do it all over again I probably would get an AMG CL or SL. It's just something special about having one of those cars. I saw a white SL600 at Herb Gordon Mercedes on yesterday and I couldn't stop looking at the car. That V12 symbol was screaming for me to test drive but in the back of mind I said no. I just refinance my car and house why on earth hustle backwards.
The 6 series is very nice so I don’t think you can go wrong with that car either. No needed to save just get the M or AMG. Lastly the new XKR is nothing to sniff at.
No offense to you, but I have driven the CL, and the driving experience is so disconnected it made me feel dead.

The SL is a different story.
Old 07-12-12 | 05:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by *Batman*
No offense to you, but I have driven the CL, and the driving experience is so disconnected it made me feel dead.

The SL is a different story.
he said he prefers luxury / prestige over handling
Old 07-12-12 | 08:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I really love the full leather interiors that BMW has been deploying. Look at this one in the GranCoupe. White Leather, Piano Black Wood, Black Alcantara headliner, Ceramic Controls, Contrast Stitching. It's really stunning.

Quick Reply: BMW 650i