Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Florida to tax Hybrid owners for not using enough gas? What?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 10:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
What happens is that hybrid and diesel drivers will pay more money and gas guzzlers will pay same as before. So it is penalizing people who are saving your country - importing less gas, and polluting the environment less, so the richer folk have it as good as before.

if they wanted to make it fair, they should just raise the gas tax for same amount, so for you that drive cars that get 18 MPG, you would get penalized more than those that get 50 MPG.

yep you are 100% right.

the most fair way is to increase the tax on gasoline to make up for the shortfall...NOT COME UP WITH A NEW TAX.
Old 06-29-12, 10:18 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
It's not like it targets hybrid drivers to change to a mileage-based tax system. The tax on the gas will obviously remain, but in addition, they can tax mileage so that the people actually using the roads will pay for them. Set it up so that your normal tag fees cover 12k per year, and then have some sort of graduated tax beyond what is considered normal road use. It wouldn't single out any particular type of car, but only the drivers that are using the roads more than others. I don't see any reason why that would be more detrimental to any particular set of drivers other than those that actually deserve to be paying more for road upkeep. It would also discourage excessive driving, which would benefit both the roads and the environment.

On a side note, this problem of road funding has been brought up before, and we will eventually need to change from a gas tax to something else if we want our roads to continue to be maintained. Just from impending federal mpg ratings, the gas tax will only produce half of the revenue it used to. If you want to be really mad, take a look at ford.co.uk and see what engines and mileage they get over there that we are not offered in the states. Some have suggested that the government does not allow certain engines to be sold here because a massive exodus to cars getting 60-80 mpg would be catastrophic for road maintenance budgets. I'm tempted to believe that suggestion because I can't think of any legitimate reason why we wouldn't get those engine options here.
Some of my co-workers work in a different state than the one they live in, and where their car is registered to. That means they use more roads from one state than the other. Mileage based, tag renewal fees wouldn't really help the state at a disadvantage here, where as gallon based fees at least can balance out the difference since it is more likey to fuel up in the state where you drive the most.
Old 06-29-12, 10:34 AM
LexFather

They should be ashamed of themselves for promoting this as it will not fix the problem. The problem is spending and paying too much money to connected contractors to fix roads. They already have toll roads in FL and the roads are terrible. So where is the money going?

This is just a baseless claim...where are the facts

"Even though people are starting to drive more, they're trading in their vehicles that got say, 15 to 20 miles to the gallon, for vehicles that get anywhere from 20 to 50 miles per gallon now."
If they want to charge me more, they need to make sure every ****ing road is an outstanding road to drive on. What about people that drive out of state? So if I start at 10k, drive 9k miles in GA and have 19k miles at the end of the year they would want 9k in taxes even though I did not drive on FL roads?

GA has one of the nations lowest gas taxes and Gov Deal just voted NO to an increase and we have great roads here for the most part.

Finally its insulting that people are making solid decisions to buy more efficient vehicles and instead of applauding their efforts they want to punish them or get them to pay more again. I assume FL will now sue the Fed government and car makers for higher MPG mandates and making more fuel efficient cars. HOW DARE THEY!!

I say audit the entire DOT there to see where the money is going. I'm sure there is countless waste.

Old 06-29-12, 10:37 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
It's not like it targets hybrid drivers to change to a mileage-based tax system. The tax on the gas will obviously remain, but in addition, they can tax mileage so that the people actually using the roads will pay for them. Set it up so that your normal tag fees cover 12k per year, and then have some sort of graduated tax beyond what is considered normal road use. It wouldn't single out any particular type of car, but only the drivers that are using the roads more than others. I don't see any reason why that would be more detrimental to any particular set of drivers other than those that actually deserve to be paying more for road upkeep. It would also discourage excessive driving, which would benefit both the roads and the environment.

On a side note, this problem of road funding has been brought up before, and we will eventually need to change from a gas tax to something else if we want our roads to continue to be maintained. Just from impending federal mpg ratings, the gas tax will only produce half of the revenue it used to. If you want to be really mad, take a look at ford.co.uk and see what engines and mileage they get over there that we are not offered in the states. Some have suggested that the government does not allow certain engines to be sold here because a massive exodus to cars getting 60-80 mpg would be catastrophic for road maintenance budgets. I'm tempted to believe that suggestion because I can't think of any legitimate reason why we wouldn't get those engine options here.
Would your idea allow for roll over mileage? Say I used 9k miles in one year, do I keep the other 3k and shift it to the next year for 15k miles? If I don't use it, why should I lose it? .

I do somewhat agree with the idea that you're taxed by road use, HOWEVER, I don't think a fair number could be come up with for the minimum. Some people have longer commutes than others for work. 12k might seem reasonable for some people, but others who do cross country driving, (not truckers), would see that number WELL into the year. I'm sure there are PLENTY of programs that money is being siphoned into and wasted. I'm sure they can EASILY cut said programs and reallocate that funding into the road fund.
Old 06-29-12, 10:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Would your idea allow for roll over mileage? Say I used 9k miles in one year, do I keep the other 3k and shift it to the next year for 15k miles? If I don't use it, why should I lose it? .

I do somewhat agree with the idea that you're taxed by road use, HOWEVER, I don't think a fair number could be come up with for the minimum. Some people have longer commutes than others for work. 12k might seem reasonable for some people, but others who do cross country driving, (not truckers), would see that number WELL into the year. I'm sure there are PLENTY of programs that money is being siphoned into and wasted. I'm sure they can EASILY cut said programs and reallocate that funding into the road fund.
And the people can sue florida for not giving them a real option with public transit. Developers and the DOT are the best of friends, building things far and away so we have to drive cars. They make people depend on the car, then get mad people buy more efficient vehicles and try to find a way to rape them some more.

Its not like many have a choice to not drive in Florida.

Again where is the money going?

Old 06-29-12, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it always continues to be the main problem of the US overall imho. people (especially legislation) keep on trying to figure out where to get more money thinking that's how to balance things out, but they never try to think fundamentally where the expenses go and why so much.

no wonder the nation is in such debts
Old 06-29-12, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
it always continues to be the main problem of the US overall imho. people (especially legislation) keep on trying to figure out where to get more money thinking that's how to balance things out, but they never try to think fundamentally where the expenses go and why so much.

Exactly...collect more money to waste.

Old 06-29-12, 11:11 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

Amen...Sorta like taking it to a crappy mechanic. Instead of diagnosing, just throw parts at it. It's bound to work. In this case, just keep throwing money around.
Old 06-29-12, 12:26 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And the people can sue florida for not giving them a real option with public transit. Developers and the DOT are the best of friends, building things far and away so we have to drive cars. They make people depend on the car, then get mad people buy more efficient vehicles and try to find a way to rape them some more.

One of the best things ive heard in a long time.
Old 06-29-12, 12:35 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm guessing that public transport in Florida is not as good or as comprehensive as say New York/New Jersey or even District of Columbia (where trains/rail transport has a relatively wide network coverage). In short, if you're in an area where public transit sucks and you don't have a car, I guess you're really limited with regards to travel and mobility.
Old 06-29-12, 12:41 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't compare public transportation within a city like New York to state road maintenance. I understand the thought process but it's not the same argument.

Floridians want to complain; come here and drive on our roads and see how the other half lives with 'no' money

It's a state argument and if people are spending less on gas, then money for upkeep has to come from somewhere. It's not like the state highways are being used less. Mike has a great argument about auditing where the funds are going but it's a common sense argument.

10 cars used highway last year all requiring gas = tax $$
10 cars using highway this year, only 6 requiring gas = less tax $
Tax all 10 cars using highway equally = tax $$

Last edited by oohpapi44; 06-29-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Exactly...collect more money to waste.
it's just terrible how high up politicians and officials think that's the solution to everything, anything. to be honest i think it really goes back to fundamentals and basic morals....

Originally Posted by TWong350
Amen...Sorta like taking it to a crappy mechanic. Instead of diagnosing, just throw parts at it. It's bound to work. In this case, just keep throwing money around.
hahaha, very true, except the bound to work part. evidently we have seen how that has played out on the US economy the past years. sigh...
Old 06-29-12, 02:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

yep you are 100% right.

the most fair way is to increase the tax on gasoline to make up for the shortfall...NOT COME UP WITH A NEW TAX.
absolutely... I dont see the downside to it. They get more money and drivers are still compelled to get more efficient vehicles, which is important for various reasons.

Their problem is if EV drivers are not paying anything to repair their roads, but I am sure that at the end it is beneficial to the state due to all the other reasons EV's are beneficial.
Old 06-30-12, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
One of the best things ive heard in a long time.
I would run for president but I would be labeled elitist for owning an old Lexus

Old 06-30-12, 11:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Here is where the public transit tax money went in Miami,

Taken for a Ride, How the Transit Tax went off Track
http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedi...sit/index.html

Quick Reply: Florida to tax Hybrid owners for not using enough gas? What?