Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Overtaking on the right

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 10:28 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by meowcat
You mean the middle finger?
I normally just pass them on the right and cut in front of them. I switch lanes very aggressively only for this purpose.

If the slow poke just sits in the left lane, and there are cars in the middle lane where I can't even pass, I take a third lane (farthest outside lane), pass the cars and get in front of the slow poke in a very, very aggressive manner.

What does this mean to the slow poke driver? MOVE THE **** OVER...

^Here we go...IBDL.

Worst...Idea...EVER.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-06-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 12:28 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntran18
Some times you have no choice. Around these parts, all the drivers like to collect on the left and there is actually an sparse right lane.
In Atlanta the fast lane is the right lane
Old 07-06-12, 12:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexmenow
THIS IS SO TRUE

Old 07-06-12, 05:56 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trukn1
BY LAW,,, passing/overtaking on the right is ILLEGAL in just about every state with a few minor exceptions, for the very reasons you listed.. Basically, if you are just merging onto the highway from an on-ramp, and the lane is clear in front of you, passing a car on your IMMEDIATE left is permissable. Other than that,, not.

In your state,,,,
http://www.zqlawyers.com/library/wha...in-florida.cfm
Thanks for the link! Learnt something new!

But as you can see, there are a lot of aggressive or ignorant drivers out there who see nothing wrong with passing on the right.

Here are some of my stories which I will also copy to the original post:

3 lane section of I-95 in rural FL at night with extremely light traffic. 70mph speed limit. I am in the left lane and come up behind a car doing 62mph. Middle and right lanes are clear. I wait a bit, then flash my headlights. After about 30 seconds he finally moves right so I can pass, which I do, then I move back to the middle lane after leaving a safe distance in front of him. Then I watch in my rearview mirror as he inexplicably moves back into the left lane, almost cutting off a speeding car in the process. This car just overtakes on the right.

2 lane section of interstate. Sometimes a semi tractor trailer needs to overtake another one but their speed differential is not much so it takes some time. Impatient car drivers like to wait until the overtaking tractor trailer has opened up just enough space in front of the 2nd, then squeeze through that gap to overtake the 1st on the right. Don't know if they realize they are preventing and delaying the 1st tractor trailer from moving back to the right lane. I've seen a whole queue of 4 cars do this.

This is not overtaking on the right, but I also think it's dangerous when I'm on a freeway onramp and the person behind me decides to jump and merge first. Because of their greater speed, they sometimes end up beside me, blocking me so now I can't merge. Particularly dangerous if the onramp is short. I think it's just common courtesy that you should let the car in front of you merge first.
Old 07-06-12, 08:38 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Driving in Atlanta is kinda stressful, never have I seen a 7 lane highway and multiple drivers just drifting across the lines. Now driving in NY, in and around the city, nothing but congestion, gridlock and high speed mayhem but its all synchronized, and its my comfort zone
Old 07-06-12, 09:22 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

On the drive from LA to Vegas, the left lane is filled with people who will never move over for faster cars. So you pretty much have to pass them on the right, otherwise you will be stuck behind them forever.
Old 07-06-12, 10:33 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Ugh, Vegas is terrible....I avoid that place like the plague.

If there is somebody driving slow in the hammer lane, I will pass on the right if it is open......

However, the freeway through St. George, where I live is only 2 lanes at any given place, so both are generally occupied if somebody is in the left lane. Then you get stuck behind *******s driving 60 in a 75 in BOTH lanes. I lay on the horn until somebody moves or speeds up(anybody who rides with me knows I use my horn and yell at other drivers very often).
Old 07-07-12, 06:48 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I live in S. Florida and I do not know what these "lanes" you speak of are all about. I didn't think S. Florida had lanes. I look in my mirror and all I see are drivers swerving about in all directions. Everybody is trying to get around everybody else. Slow pokes drive in the left lane, maniacs drive in the right lane, brake lights on the highway continuously, nonstop. You can’t hop on the freeway and drive the speed of traffic. It just can't be done, here. If you're doing 100mph in the left lane and a car comes up behind you, don't even bother moving over because in the blink of an eye, he's already passed you on the right doing 120mph and if there's a car in that lane, the driver will have no problem moving all the way to the right lane to pass numerous cars. Personally, driving 75mph in the right lane on 869, I have been passed on the shoulder and honked at for going too slow. S. Florida has the worst drivers in the nation and I have proof. My zip code, 33076, carries the highest insurance premiums in the nation. I'm from San Diego, originally, and I thought drivers were bad in California.

Last edited by IS350jet; 07-07-12 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 11:38 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
On the drive from LA to Vegas, the left lane is filled with people who will never move over for faster cars. So you pretty much have to pass them on the right, otherwise you will be stuck behind them forever.
Yep, that is the absolute worst. Only 2 lanes for most of that trip and drivers who just don't have a clue.
Old 07-07-12, 12:43 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

In many parts of the world you can get cited for loitering in the "passing lane". Slow traffic should stay on one side, too bad US drivers tend to be completely ignorant or negligent of this driving courtesy.
Old 07-07-12, 09:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
Yep, that is the absolute worst. Only 2 lanes for most of that trip and drivers who just don't have a clue.
gosh, if anything i5 from socal to norcal is even worse. that's hours and hours of 2 lane traffic...

passing on the left is courtesy and "common rule" imho, i try to follow it. but then again since most people don't have common sense, it's sometimes hard for me to follow that...
Old 07-09-12, 08:51 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

To sum it all up... "You gotta do what you gotta do!"
Old 07-09-12, 01:15 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is you can't really complain to anyone. I usually find myself guilty of all the things mentioned in this thread already; passing on the right, getting pissed off at left lane campers, etc. However, i also realize that usually people i've been stuck behind on the left lane are going right at the speed limit while i'm doing probably 10-15 mph over. So technically they are in the wrong cause they should not be in the left lane, but if I wasn't speeding, it wouldn't bother me.

What pisses me off the most are people trying to overtake me at an onramp, thus blocking me in the merge lane and forcing me to slow down or stop, as someone mentioned before. That is a douche move and I will merge to cut you off if you do that to me. The other are people flying in the right lane and preventing people from merging. Another reason passing on the right is illegal.
Old 07-09-12, 08:18 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
The problem is you can't really complain to anyone. I usually find myself guilty of all the things mentioned in this thread already; passing on the right, getting pissed off at left lane campers, etc. However, i also realize that usually people i've been stuck behind on the left lane are going right at the speed limit while i'm doing probably 10-15 mph over. So technically they are in the wrong cause they should not be in the left lane, but if I wasn't speeding, it wouldn't bother me.
Except, generally, those left lane campers justify it by doing slightly over the speed limit, say 65 in a 60. The logic goes that if I'm doing 65 you don't need to pass me. Of course, where that fails is that not only are they speeding (5 over) but they are also disobeying the "Keep Right Except to Pass" law. It's a white sign, just like the speed limit, so they're breaking two laws. My speeding 10(+)mph over is no different than their 5mph over yet so many people insist on being the traffic cops and setting the speed limit for everyone else. Either that or they are just inconsiderate, oblivious, ignorant douchebags.

So yes, I pass on the right.
Old 07-09-12, 08:47 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
they are just inconsiderate, oblivious, ignorant douchebags.

So yes, I pass on the right.
This +10char's

Quick Reply: Overtaking on the right