Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Nissan Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 05:59 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
Biggest mistake by Nissan was going after the Audi TT and Porsche Boxter with the 370Z. Moving upmarket excluded all the people who were able to afford the car it replaced. They realize this and have decided to go back to their original formula of affordable performance. Thank God. But please, restyle that concept.
X2
Old 01-20-14, 06:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
Biggest mistake by Nissan was going after the Audi TT and Porsche Boxter with the 370Z. Moving upmarket excluded all the people who were able to afford the car it replaced. They realize this and have decided to go back to their original formula of affordable performance. Thank God. But please, restyle that concept.
They went after the Boxster and TT before the 370. IIRC, one of their original banners for the Z33 (350 model) was something along the lines of "places to go, things to do, Porsches to pass," and it featured a Le Mans Sunset Metallic 350Z. The price of the Z crept upward just like pretty much every other car in the past 10+ years.

Many people also seem to forget that the Z32 wasn't exactly a sub-$30k car either...
Old 01-20-14, 07:00 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
They went after the Boxster and TT before the 370. IIRC, one of their original banners for the Z33 (350 model) was something along the lines of "places to go, things to do, Porsches to pass," and it featured a Le Mans Sunset Metallic 350Z. The price of the Z crept upward just like pretty much every other car in the past 10+ years.

Many people also seem to forget that the Z32 wasn't exactly a sub-$30k car either...
what do you think made its sales dropped so bad?

it was listed for $26k in 2003. but most of the ones on the lot were around $30k give or take. So fair enough. but if you think you are you are going to find a new 370z on the lot for its list price of $30k keep dreaming.
Old 01-20-14, 07:17 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gymratter

what do you think made its sales dropped so bad?

it was listed for $26k in 2003. but most of the ones on the lot were around $30k give or take. So fair enough. but if you think you are you are going to find a new 370z on the lot for its list price of $30k keep dreaming.
I'm not arguing that, in fact you're probably 100% correct that I won't find one with a sticker under $30k - base model starts below $30k but that does not include destination charges. I was simply stating that the 370 model was not their attempt at going up market to target the Boxster and TT - that happened well before the 370 while the MSRP of a 350 was under $30k.

The Z got more expensive as the years went by, what else is new? The 350 also had its VQ power plant updated twice in its 6 year run. I'd attribute the sales dropping because it is just underwhelming - regardless of price - more than anything else.
Old 01-20-14, 07:33 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I'm not arguing that, in fact you're probably 100% correct that I won't find one with a sticker under $30k - base model starts below $30k but that does not include destination charges. I was simply stating that the 370 model was not their attempt at going up market to target the Boxster and TT - that happened well before the 370 while the MSRP of a 350 was under $30k.

The Z got more expensive as the years went by, what else is new? The 350 also had its VQ power plant updated twice in its 6 year run. I'd attribute the sales dropping because it is just underwhelming - regardless of price - more than anything else.
The Z was sort of a sensation when Nissan debuted the 350. It was the return of an iconic import sports car. But it was a harsh, hard edged sports car. There were never going to be big sales. It was Nissan's halo car until the GTR came along. Then came the 370 which remained a harsh-riding, hard core sports car with a higher price. Once again, there would be a small market for something as difficult to live with day to day.

But Nissan deserves some admiration for being the ONLY Japanese company to put out a pure sports car during that period. Yeah Toyota is finally showing some commitment to the enthusiast but for that period both they and Honda rode the bench while Nissan got in the game.
Old 01-20-14, 07:39 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
But Nissan deserves some admiration for being the ONLY Japanese company to put out a pure sports car during that period. Yeah Toyota is finally showing some commitment to the enthusiast but for that period both they and Honda rode the bench while Nissan got in the game.
aww no love for the RX8, Miata, and MR-2.
Old 01-20-14, 07:44 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

in addition too the power bump the 370z also got a nicer interior. I'm pretty sure that also made pricing goes up.

I'm just saying the 370Z is priced pretty high. it's sales are really really bad. idk what Nissan has in mind for the next Z. but I think we can all agreed that their current game plan isn't working.
Old 01-20-14, 07:55 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
Why would they source a woeful Merc motor? The 1.8L turbo is trash, unrefined, gas guzzler and weak.

The VQ is excellent. And Nissan Japan can do a good turbo setup if they want.

But Nissan now unfortunately is at the hands of Ghosn who is killing the brand.
Nissan was a hot mess before getting picked up by the French
Old 01-20-14, 08:27 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

that's because: no torque and reliability issues, no power, and non-existent (you're probably referring to the anemic MR-S, which was the worst of all 3).

disclaimer: there are parts of the RX-8 and Miata that I like....but never enough to commit to one
Old 01-20-14, 08:35 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little off topic, but the 350z had interior quality issues and didn't the early VQ had oil consumption issues?
Old 01-20-14, 11:32 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
S2000 was always an alternative until it got discontinued, but yes, it was one of the FEW options during that period - I'm not sure there was really anything around $30k that was comparable for a while.

in addition too the power bump the 370z also got a nicer interior. I'm pretty sure that also made pricing goes up.

I'm just saying the 370Z is priced pretty high. it's sales are really really bad. idk what Nissan has in mind for the next Z. but I think we can all agreed that their current game plan isn't working.
Agreed. Nissan needs to do something with it, I just don't think dropping the Z down into entry level territory is the answer. Hopefully whatever that new car is will fill that void. As Speedflex alluded to though, no matter what they do with it, the Z is not expected to be a volume seller...

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
A little off topic, but the 350z had interior quality issues and didn't the early VQ had oil consumption issues?
I don't recall if it was the DE or Rev-Up model, but one of the VQs suffered from moderate oil consumption issues. Also, the interiors were incredibly basic, bland, and plasticy (making up words now! ).
Old 01-21-14, 12:25 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow I hope those concepts don't become reality. it just looks horrible. Maybe good for a veloster competitor.

let's face it, the current 370z design is pretty lousy...and got lousier every single year they did a cosmetic upgrade to it. The front bumpers went from having fangs with air vents to no air vents at all. It's just a very unattractive car. And insurance on it cost a grip since it's classified as a true sports car.
Old 01-21-14, 02:52 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

the 300zx cost a lot no? it was dropped and than Nissan reintroduce a new cheaper Z "350z". it had good sales when compared to the 300zx. seems like Nissan should go back to their early 2000 game plan.
Old 01-21-14, 07:57 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The RX8 was also mothballed but Mazda gets big props.
Old 01-21-14, 08:32 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

i didnt care for the RX8 but at least it handled well.

Quick Reply: 2015 Nissan Z