Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pair of diesels headed for BMW U.S. dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 11:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Pair of diesels headed for BMW U.S. dealers

Pair of diesels headed for BMW U.S. dealers

BMW first introduced the North American market to diesels way back in 1983, with the introduction of its 524td. Under the hood of the E28 5 Series was the automaker's M21 turbocharged diesel, a 2.4-liter inline-six rated at 115 horsepower and 155 pound-feet of torque. It was mated to a standard four-speed automatic transmission. At the time, BMW claimed it was the world's fastest production diesel-powered car, but its numbers (0-60 in about 12 seconds and a maximum speed of 112 mph) look rather pathetic today. It was sold for just one model year.

In a renewed effort to convince buyers that diesel was a sporty alternative to gasoline, BMW reintroduced a potent diesel powerplant to the States in 2009. It was the automaker's M57 twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six rated at 265 horsepower and 425 pound-feet of torque. Mounted in the nose of the E90 3 Series sedan and mated to a six-speed automatic, the 335d helped the automaker redefine oil-burning performance (0-60 in 5.3 seconds with a top speed governed to 130 mph) here in America. The X5 35d crossover, fitted with the same engine and strong performance (0-60 in 6.9 seconds), soon followed.

But BMW doesn't really need to prove diesel's performance anymore, as fuel economy sells. With that comes the announcement of two fresh, and more efficient, oil-burning powerplants. A new turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder will likely be rated at 180 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque, while a new turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder is expected to make 255 horsepower and undisclosed torque. According to our sources, the 2.0-liter (similar to the one pictured above) will find its home in the 3 Series and X1, while the new 3.0-liter will replace the M57 under the hood of the X3 and X5 (with eight-speed gearboxes). Expect the engines to spread across the BMW lineup if well received.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/13/p...w-u-s-dealers/
Old 07-14-12, 12:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, hope to see them in some Toyotas too.
Old 07-14-12, 12:55 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm still not convinced about the safety of diesels considering the latest medical reports that even those that pass Euro 5 emissions standards may still emit carcinogens.
Old 07-14-12, 02:32 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very happy to see that BMW is still committed to diesels in North America, to the point of even expanding their offerings! I'm guessing the 2.0L unit in the 3er will be getting better than 40 mpg highway.

Still waiting for a build date on our 2012 X5 35d.
Old 07-14-12, 05:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Cool, hope to see them in some Toyotas too.
you wont in USA... 180hp unit is nice, should be nice balance of gas saving and decent performance.
Old 07-14-12, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I'm still not convinced about the safety of diesels considering the latest medical reports that even those that pass Euro 5 emissions standards may still emit carcinogens.
i believe cancer rates are either the same or lower in europe, where about every other car is a diesel, so maybe that will convince you? probably not.

by the way, did you know cooking food on a grill adds carcinogens too?
Old 07-14-12, 08:30 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe cancer rates are either the same or lower in europe, where about every other car is a diesel, so maybe that will convince you? probably not.

by the way, did you know cooking food on a grill adds carcinogens too?
You don't need to convince me. Just convince the World Health Organization :

WHO confirms diesel fumes carcinogenic

After a week-long meeting, the International Agency for Research on Cancer reclassified diesel exhausts from its group of probable carcinogens, to its group of substances that have definite links to cancer.

It says diesel emissions cause lung cancer and increase the risk of bladder cancer.

They say their decision was unanimous and based on "compelling" scientific evidence.
The WHO has acknowledged tougher fuel regulation has led to improved diesel quality and trucks do not billow big clouds of soot so often anymore.

But it says it is not yet clear whether these changes have reduced the risks.

The Cancer Council's chief executive, Professor Ian Olver, says the WHO also has not confirmed what levels of exposure cause cancer.
BTW, the decision to reclassify diesel emissions as definitely carcinogenic was taken this year so it isn't some outdated research that hasn't taken into account the latest developments in diesel technology.
Old 07-14-12, 11:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like it or not, one can't discount diesel engines entirely (especially with the improving tech and all that).

For SUV and heavy-duty applications, their low-end torque is where diesel engines excel the most
Old 07-14-12, 02:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Super duper excited about this!! I love diesel motors. They are the no brainer for daily commuting.
Old 07-14-12, 02:36 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

So I was cruising in my E93 on the way back from lunch once and had an E90 335d with the current M57 turbodiesel engine floor it past me, the same one we'll be getting in our X5d. The most shocking thing I noticed was how clean and odorless the exhaust was. No black soot, no nasty smells, no nothing. Just sound really. I was amazed. And as proof of that, about a minute later some idiot in a current bodystyle Honda Accord V6 pulled out in front of me and floored it, and there was more stench and soot from that thing, a current engine/car, than from the diesel that just went past me! It sounds like the WHO announcement is talking mostly about the worst possible diesel emissions, like industrial engines (backup generators, etc) or buses and some trucks that only have to meet very light emissions standards or not at all, and not passenger vehicles that have to meet the strictest emissions standards. They admitted that they weren't sure on this, and that there was no way to tell.
Old 07-14-12, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
So I was cruising in my E93 on the way back from lunch once and had an E90 335d with the current M57 turbodiesel engine floor it past me, the same one we'll be getting in our X5d. The most shocking thing I noticed was how clean and odorless the exhaust was. No black soot, no nasty smells, no nothing. Just sound really. I was amazed. And as proof of that, about a minute later some idiot in a current bodystyle Honda Accord V6 pulled out in front of me and floored it, and there was more stench and soot from that thing, a current engine/car, than from the diesel that just went past me! It sounds like the WHO announcement is talking mostly about the worst possible diesel emissions, like industrial engines (backup generators, etc) or buses and some trucks that only have to meet very light emissions standards or not at all, and not passenger vehicles that have to meet the strictest emissions standards. They admitted that they weren't sure on this, and that there was no way to tell.
no, they specifically said emissions from diesels, because it is finer particles - not soot is created the same... question is how much - newer ones are less, older ones are more, all are considered cancerous enough that now European cities are starting to ban diesels inside the cities.
Old 07-14-12, 06:21 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

WHO also considers the emissions of gasoline-powered cars to be cancer-causing. At the moment there is not enough evidence to support this, however.

And at the end of the day cars cause pollution all the time, whether they are driving or are being produced in factories. There is no such thing as a completely green car. It doesn't exist.

That being said, I love my BMW 118d. I love the performance (it's agile and fast) and I love the fuel economy I get. America is seriously missing out. Thankfully some European manufacturers are bringing over some of their excellent diesels, which will give Americans a taste of how agile performance and fuel economy can be combined in one appealing package.
Old 07-14-12, 06:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Everything causes cancer. Back on the cars, I'd love a diesel 5 series in the future
Old 07-15-12, 02:34 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

I still cannot understand how a clattering powerplant with awful NVH characteristics such as diesel can be considered suitable for a premium vehicle. To me premium should be abouth smoothness and refinement. And a gas hybrid is a perfect match.
Old 07-15-12, 05:35 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
no, they specifically said emissions from diesels, because it is finer particles - not soot is created the same... question is how much - newer ones are less, older ones are more, all are considered cancerous enough that now European cities are starting to ban diesels inside the cities.
They weren't really sure, and admitted as such numerous times throughout the article.

Quick Reply: Pair of diesels headed for BMW U.S. dealers