Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Strips More Cladding

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12 | 05:34 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I think it looks really similar to the current S-Class.

That's why I question how most people are claiming the LS is just a facelift. It's obvious that BMW did the same thing with their F01 7-series back in 2008. I had literally convince my mother of the differences between her '06 model versus the '09 model. The S-Class is following the same template as is the next LS. No one is going to call the W222 a significant facelift, but plenty are already calling the Lexus one when no official info has been released and only a 7-month old teaser as a reference.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-21-12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-21-12 | 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by cmk1
That's why I question how most people are claiming the LS is just a facelift. It's obvious that BMW did the same thing with their F01 7-series back in 2008. I had literally convince my mother of the differences between her '06 model versus the '09 model. The S-Class is following the same template as is the next LS. No one is going to call the W222 a significant facelift, but plenty are already calling the Lexus one when no official info has been released and only a 7-month old teaser as a reference.
you need to do more homework?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_7_S...09.E2.80.93.29

f01 came out in 2009. and it's a different chassis. transmission is different, big wheel base change, suspension completely different (not just tweaks), car length and height different. seriously?

if the new ls is like that, then i would call it new too, coz' the freaking chassis is different. but i guess we have 9 days to find out if i am right or wrong. i surely want myself to be wrong if anything.

what you are saying is just like 911 has always look so similar, especially between 996 and 997. but 997 is a completely different car, pretty much all panels were changed

and to be fair i even brought up the very same lexus ls. gen1 and gen2 look pretty darn similar (even lexus chief designer admitted that), but no one would mistake them as same generation. wheel base, and 90% of the internal of the car is different.

Last edited by rominl; 07-21-12 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-21-12 | 11:21 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

You know even though it hasn't debuted yet I'm likely going to get the W222 because after all it is a redesigned S Class and knowing Merc its not going to be a disappointment. Just by looking at the profile of it I can tell Its going to be a amazing looking car.
Old 07-22-12 | 12:54 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rominl
you need to do more homework?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_7_S...09.E2.80.93.29

f01 came out in 2009. and it's a different chassis. transmission is different, big wheel base change, suspension completely different (not just tweaks), car length and height different. seriously?

if the new ls is like that, then i would call it new too, coz' the freaking chassis is different. but i guess we have 9 days to find out if i am right or wrong. i surely want myself to be wrong if anything.

what you are saying is just like 911 has always look so similar, especially between 996 and 997. but 997 is a completely different car, pretty much all panels were changed

and to be fair i even brought up the very same lexus ls. gen1 and gen2 look pretty darn similar (even lexus chief designer admitted that), but no one would mistake them as same generation. wheel base, and 90% of the internal of the car is different.
Excuse me, but why would I need to do more homework when I've had both the E66 and the F02 in my household for the past 7 years? I have driven both back to back, so I know plenty. My post may have not sounded so clear, but I didn't actually mean they were literally the same car. I just meant stylistically they were very similar and at first glance it seemed like an extensive facelift to my mother who at the time owned a 2006 760Li. By the way, F01/F02 did not come out in 2009, it came out in July 2008 and went into production that September, being sold in Europe later that year. We only received it stateside in March 2009, but everyone had seen it many months earlier. On another note, I always look forward to how Lexus will up their game with each variation of the LS, so it's a bit disappointing to hear such rumors. I totally agree with you on that last part, as I am praying that it's no less than being parallel to the changes that the UCF20 received from the UCF10, in order avoid being a "facelift" like some are saying.
Old 07-22-12 | 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Excuse me, but why would I need to do more homework when I've had both the E66 and the F02 in my household for the past 7 years? I have driven both back to back, so I know plenty. My post may have not sounded so clear, but I didn't actually mean they were literally the same car. I just meant stylistically they were very similar and at first glance it seemed like an extensive facelift to my mother who at the time owned a 2006 760Li. By the way, F01/F02 did not come out in 2009, it came out in July 2008 and went into production that September, being sold in Europe later that year. We only received it stateside in March 2009, but everyone had seen it many months earlier. On another note, I always look forward to how Lexus will up their game with each variation of the LS, so it's a bit disappointing to hear such rumors. I totally agree with you on that last part, as I am praying that it's no less than being parallel to the changes that the UCF20 received from the UCF10, in order avoid being a "facelift" like some are saying.
i am sorry i misunderstood your post as saying the e65/66 and f01/02 are the same car, my apology. but yes, so many examples out there that shows cars can "look" very similar but they are actually different generations. i understand f01 came out in europe in 2008, but the car didn't arrive in the US until 2009 as you stated. and given your location that's why i said here in the US it's 09 not 08

i have been saying pretty strongly it's facelift because i have been hearing that from more than a few people from inside lexus, including some high up people. nonetheless that came shocking to me as well (and disappointing, just like you). while i don't like it, if they are really doing it, i can see the reason and can potentially be the right move after all.

regardless, even if this is a facelift (in my eyes or whatever), meaning same chassis, same suspensions with tweaks, same drivetrains, but with cosmetic changes and interior upgrades, it's likely to be a pretty big one (they need to). now if the car comes out with updated wheel base, dimensions, suspensions, drive trains, etc... indicating it's actually a full redesign, then hey, i am always ready to be proven wrong
Old 07-23-12 | 02:03 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rominl
i am sorry i misunderstood your post as saying the e65/66 and f01/02 are the same car, my apology. but yes, so many examples out there that shows cars can "look" very similar but they are actually different generations. i understand f01 came out in europe in 2008, but the car didn't arrive in the US until 2009 as you stated. and given your location that's why i said here in the US it's 09 not 08

i have been saying pretty strongly it's facelift because i have been hearing that from more than a few people from inside lexus, including some high up people. nonetheless that came shocking to me as well (and disappointing, just like you). while i don't like it, if they are really doing it, i can see the reason and can potentially be the right move after all.

regardless, even if this is a facelift (in my eyes or whatever), meaning same chassis, same suspensions with tweaks, same drivetrains, but with cosmetic changes and interior upgrades, it's likely to be a pretty big one (they need to). now if the car comes out with updated wheel base, dimensions, suspensions, drive trains, etc... indicating it's actually a full redesign, then hey, i am always ready to be proven wrong
It's okay, I fail to be clear and concise in my comments at times, so I totally blame myself for that. You viewpoint is extremely valid asa mysterious person in March continously stated it was a major facelift as he had special information and many lambasted him for it. Four months later he might be right. I really wonder if Lexus just might revolutionize the meaning of facelift in the automotive world and really impress. I'm just glad that they have shed over the past decade the inferiority complex that detractors try to impose on them and are on a great path. I just think the suspense is driving me insane from noticing that the W222 S-Class isn't as far long as I thought and may be unveiled as late as December 2012, so I've latched onto the LS reveal since it's a MUCH friendlier forum here than some others that shall not be named.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-23-12 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-23-12 | 08:00 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I miss the fender flares already. This way the S class looks more like a Maybach
+1 They better some flares on the S63/S65 AMG models...
Old 07-23-12 | 08:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It's okay, I fail to be clear and concise in my comments at times, so I totally blame myself for that. You viewpoint is extremely valid asa mysterious person in March continously stated it was a major facelift as he had special information and many lambasted him for it. Four months later he might be right. I really wonder if Lexus just might revolutionize the meaning of facelift in the automotive world and really impress. I'm just glad that they have shed over the past decade the inferiority complex that detractors try to impose on them and are on a great path. I just think the suspense is driving me insane from noticing that the W222 S-Class isn't as far long as I thought and may be unveiled as late as December 2012, so I've latched onto the LS reveal since it's a MUCH friendlier forum here than some others that shall not be named.
maybe Lexus/Toyota will finally start doing those big 3/4 year facelifts like they said few years ago... Because in reality cars sell like crazy for first 2 years and then there is the drop in sales unless there are big discounts available.

however question is can you still make money while doing these big facelifts every 3 years or so.
Old 07-23-12 | 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i am on those other forums too, yeah, not pretty

i think of it this way, whether it's called facelift or not, it seems like it won't be as complete drastic change (that seems to be a common consent here). now how lexus is going to pull off on the sales department, that's extremely interesting and i very much look forward to that. as i mentioned before this can give them the time and space they need for better product launching in the future, and i hope it eventually plays out in lexus' favor!
Old 07-24-12 | 07:39 AM
LexFather

It's going to sell no matter what. /thread

Can't wait to see the AMG models.
Old 07-24-12 | 02:42 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

No!! They lost the wheel arches!! Now it won't look as cool when slammed!! Hahahaha!

Looks more neater and tighter, but still bland. We have to wait and see when it's all uncovered to see all the little details that will make it stand out.
Old 07-25-12 | 07:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It's going to sell no matter what. /thread

Can't wait to see the AMG models.
With the all-new SL65 AMG, the guys at Affalterbach have managed to mate their new V12 TWIN TURBO engine (M279 engine with 630 hp and 1000 NEWTON METERS of torque) with the 7-speed 7GTRONIC AMG automatic transmission, expect the same for the upcoming all-new S65 AMG.

This is madness ladies and gentlemen

Old 07-25-12 | 10:05 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class W222 is now scheduled for March 2013 at Geneva, not this year at all.
Old 07-25-12 | 10:09 PM
RXSF

supposed to be made of aluminum too!
Old 07-26-12 | 08:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i like the interior, except for the steering wheel but i am sure if you are buying new, you will be able to pick something else... also, huge screen ala Lexus :P

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Strips More Cladding