Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14 | 07:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
more "this Kia looks like that" crap

How about the cars merits or the fact that a vehicle like this exists when some automakers which should have something like this don't.
Agreed.

On another note, I LOVE the real white sycamore trim that's available.

Old 01-26-14 | 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Agreed.

On another note, I LOVE the real white sycamore trim that's available.

yes that's a great observation. Pretty unique offering
Old 01-26-14 | 11:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

The interior design looks very nice, much better then the Genesis and Equus.
Old 01-26-14 | 04:30 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure if serious. have you ever really looked at a genesis, equus, k900, cadenza? they're far from econoboxes, and while they may not necessarily break new styling ground, i've not seen anyone describe them as 'goofy looking' except you.
That's all Hyundai does. Just styling.
Nothing more.

No pioneering in technology, performance or anything else for that matter..

They're not bad from an econobox point of view. But their entire brand is overrated. They've never done anything groundbreaking or spectacular like the rest.

And that's why Hyundai/Kia are not a top tier brand whether you like that or not.

Last edited by yowps3; 01-26-14 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-27-14 | 08:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
No pioneering in technology, performance or anything else for that matter..

They're not bad from an econobox point of view. But their entire brand is overrated. They've never done anything groundbreaking or spectacular like the rest.

That may matter to insiders but being groundbreaking isn't really a selling point to the average consumer. Value, resale, features, reliability... those are the touchpoints.
Old 01-27-14 | 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That's all Hyundai does. Just styling.
Nothing more.
They also assemble a car quite well at the factory, though, with Hyundai, while still good, I don't think that their very latest models are built/assembled quite as solidly today as they were 5-10 years ago. With Kia, it seems the opposite.....they keep getting better and better all the time. They are now doing (probably) their best-built products ever.

And have you tried out a new Kia Sorento? I was stunned when I test-drove one on the recent review I did. It drove with the ride comfort, sound-insulation, refinement of some luxury cars.
Old 02-28-14 | 05:34 PM
Hoovey689

Kia says fewer than 30% of its dealers will get 2015 K900

Kia is moving into unknown territory with its $60,000 K900 luxury sedan in many ways. Not only will it act as the company's flagship model, it will be the Korean brand's first car in the US with rear-wheel drive and a V8 engine. The first batch will hit showrooms in March, but according to Edmunds, it will be a soft launch in some ways, because only around 30 percent of dealers have paid a premium to sell the plush ride.

Kia has sent the selected dealers back to school to make sure they are prepared to sell the K900 to the industry's famously finicky luxury sedan buyers. The company believes its flagship model will be "a catalyst in support of our long-term strategy to elevate the ownership experience," said James Hope, Kia's National Manager for product communications, to Autoblog in an email. According to Edmunds, the dealers paid about $30,000 each in required training, tools and showroom displays. It wants the improvements to "shift the culture" in its dealers to be ready to welcome luxury buyers, according to Hope. Kia Director of Public Relations Scott McKee told Autoblog that the brand expects buyers to be "independent thinkers" from a blend of current Kia owners stepping up to the K900 and conquests from other luxury brands.

Kia has been slowly building awareness of the K900, especially with its Super Bowl ad, but it still has a long road ahead of it to prove what makes it crown jewel different. The company believes more dealers will sign up to sell it once public awareness for the new sedan grows. "There has never been a better time to challenge the status quo," said Hope. Also, a V6 model will launch in the future at a lower price, which should bring more people into the updated showrooms. Given what Kia has accomplished in the US in the last 20 years, it would be foolish to count the K900 out, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to break into the luxury sedan market.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/28/2...t-kia-dealers/
Old 02-28-14 | 06:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Unless things have changed isn't the Equus sold only thru select Hyundai dealership s?
Old 02-28-14 | 07:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I can't get over the Hyundai/Kia stigma for anything in luxury pricing territory.
Old 03-01-14 | 07:26 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

When are Koreans ever going to make their SC400, LS400, NSX, Supra, Soarer etc

So far all they have are a bunch of goofy looking econoboxes

Give us something revolutionary and stop grinding.
This is quite a ridiculous post. I see your point is to to point out that Hyundai/Kia may not have made anything "revolutionary", but a company doesn't have to do be relevant. Very few vehicles are break throughs. Very few companies do it. Mercedes, Lexus, & BMW are among those few.

Do expect Hyundai/Kia to suddenly launch a car that eclipses the S-Class? Even if they did, no one would buy it because you'd have a $100K+ Hyundai.

Hyundai and Kia make a lot of good, reliable, competitive vehicles. Only a few of them are "econoboxes".

This is an econobox to you?

The K900 is twice the car that your Lexus IS is. I don't know how you can criticize a car like this when you own something far less.
Old 03-01-14 | 09:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
This is quite a ridiculous post. I see your point is to to point out that Hyundai/Kia may not have made anything "revolutionary", but a company doesn't have to do be relevant. Very few vehicles are break throughs. Very few companies do it. Mercedes, Lexus, & BMW are among those few.

Do expect Hyundai/Kia to suddenly launch a car that eclipses the S-Class? Even if they did, no one would buy it because you'd have a $100K+ Hyundai.

Hyundai and Kia make a lot of good, reliable, competitive vehicles. Only a few of them are "econoboxes".

This is an econobox to you?

The K900 is twice the car that your Lexus IS is. I don't know how you can criticize a car like this when you own something far less.

You have a valid point. Fit, finish, and material quality is there. Problem is perception (and subjectively for me, very derivative styling) of the K900. Majority of people who can afford these cars will just not fork over 60K+ for a Kia nor a Hyundai. Now if they were to start selling these exact cars as a new premium brand, N. Americans would more closely warm up to the idea and buy more. Toyota did it back in 1989 and if they didn't, I wonder how many folks would have bought an 80K Toyota Celsior (aka LS) over the years instead of the Bimmers, Audis, and Benzes. Today, premium materials and high tech features are not enough to win the customer over since the gap is closing here between "economy" cars and luxury cars. So what's left? You need to have the white glove service, appeal, and panache which the Kia/Hyundai brands do not have so long as they keep selling Rios and Accents. Hyundai and Kia have excellent high-end products here, just a poor marketing strategy. They must bite the bullet, invest in the new brand, and forge ahead like back in 1989 Toyota and Nissan did. If new dealership investments are too costly/risky, start with the new brand as a minimum and sell these new luxury cars alongside Kias or Hyundais. Heck, Lexus started like that in some Toyota dealerships.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-01-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-07-14 | 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You have a valid point. Fit, finish, and material quality is there. Problem is perception (and subjectively for me, very derivative styling) of the K900. Majority of people who can afford these cars will just not fork over 60K+ for a Kia nor a Hyundai. Now if they were to start selling these exact cars as a new premium brand, N. Americans would more closely warm up to the idea and buy more. Toyota did it back in 1989 and if they didn't, I wonder how many folks would have bought an 80K Toyota Celsior (aka LS) over the years instead of the Bimmers, Audis, and Benzes. Today, premium materials and high tech features are not enough to win the customer over since the gap is closing here between "economy" cars and luxury cars. So what's left? You need to have the white glove service, appeal, and panache which the Kia/Hyundai brands do not have so long as they keep selling Rios and Accents. Hyundai and Kia have excellent high-end products here, just a poor marketing strategy. They must bite the bullet, invest in the new brand, and forge ahead like back in 1989 Toyota and Nissan did. If new dealership investments are too costly/risky, start with the new brand as a minimum and sell these new luxury cars alongside Kias or Hyundais. Heck, Lexus started like that in some Toyota dealerships.
Good post. The words Brand Perception seem to be this cars worst enemy.
Old 03-07-14 | 04:01 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

i don't know who's gonna pay &70k for this car. it's no doubt a nice sedan with all the bells and whistles, but that KIA emblem just kills it, plain and simple. i don't care how you justify, it's a KIA, and for $70k there are far better choices out there.
Old 03-07-14 | 07:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Good post. The words Brand Perception seem to be this cars worst enemy.
Which is why they made this commercial....

This was my favorite Superbowl commercial this year.
Old 03-07-14 | 07:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ LOVE this commercial. Still wouldn't buy the car because of three letters.

Quick Reply: Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan