Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13 | 08:30 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

The Rear-Drive Flagship Kia K900 Will Drop At The LA Auto Show

For those of you who have spent years lusting after a luxurious, V8-powered rear-wheel drive Kia, you need only wait a few weeks for the flagship Kia K900 sedan to make its American debut at the LA Auto Show in November.

Known as the K9 in its South Korean homeland, the K900 will be offered with both V6 and V8 power. Full specs haven't been released yet, but likely that means the 333 horsepower 3.8-liter V6 and the 429 horsepower 5.0-liter V8 engines from the soon-to-be-replaced Hyundai Genesis. The latter engine also sees duty in the top-tier Hyundai Equus, which is closely related to this car.

And that's where I start to ask questions about the K900's role in the marketplace. It is expected to cost between $50,000 and $70,000, which means in V8 trim it will be in about the same range as the Equus. Is there room for two ultra-sedans made for Korean oligarchs in the U.S. market?

Equus sales haven't been much to write home about, so one has to wonder what their expectations are for the K900. And then there's the new Genesis, which may provide enough luxury and performance to get the job done for much cheaper.

Anyway, good on the Koreans for making more premium luxury cars. We'll have to wait and see how buyers warm up to them.
*source
http://jalopnik.com/the-rear-drive-f...-au-1453971202
Old 10-29-13 | 08:32 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

KIA is really starting to listen to what the consumer wants. well done. cant wait to see these modded!
Old 10-29-13 | 11:27 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Terrible terrible name...but at least its not another useless letter/number combination.
Maybe not, but at least one knows what to call the car. I'm not sure how to pronounce this, and I'll likely forget tomorrow.

In fact, I feel it much more difficult to name any manufacturers line-up that doesn't use a letter/number combination. Full names are more difficult to remember.
Old 10-29-13 | 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

if Kia and Hyundai can have a RWD sedans, well Ford and Lincoln take note please..
Old 10-29-13 | 06:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
if Kia and Hyundai can have a RWD sedans, well Ford and Lincoln take note please..
Never mind Acura.

On another note, what Hyundai and Kia is doing is nothing short of amazing. They are overcoming the old rule that a high end product needs to carry the luxury badge. To pick on Acura again, we are seeing the Hyundai Equus outsell the RLX, which has a "luxury" badge. Plus, the Hyundai costs $10K more, granted it's a higher end car. Which is all more the blow to Acura. Honda can't make a car in a class that Hyundai can? Kinda sad.

Units sold in Sept...

RLX - 311

Equus - 371

Remember too that VW couldn't sell the Pheaton in that class either. Hyundai is breaking the rules.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 10-30-13 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-29-13 | 08:26 PM
Piraiba
Rookie

I think that car screams "imitation". Not gonna sell well at all if really priced 50-70k, are they nuts it's a KIA.....
Old 10-29-13 | 08:31 PM
Piraiba
Rookie

I always thought true beauty and originality did not need to resort to awkward shaped grilles and body lines in an attempt to stand out from the crowd.

Porsche did it, Audi did it, BMW did it, Mercedes did it. Lexus has done it, especially with their newer cars as you can see a similar design language throughout their lineup. All these companies have found a way to be original, yet create a classic design for their models, aside from a few exceptions.

Seems like the Koreans have not understood that yet. I think to charge that kind of money for a vehicle, you absolutely NEED innovation and at least an ounce of originality. Copying part A from the Germans and Part B from the Japanese...or more like copying the entire side profile (welcome to 2006 3GS) will only get you so far, but definitely not into the elite Luxury tier.
Old 10-29-13 | 11:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Never mind Acura.

On another note, what Hyundai and Kia is doing is nothing short of amazing. They are overcoming the old rule that a high end product needs to carry the luxury badge. To pick on Acura again, we are seeing the Hyundai Equus outsell the RLX, which has a "luxury" badge. Plus, the Hyundai costs $10K more, granted it's a higher end car. Which is all more the blow to Acura. Honda can't make a car in a class that Hyundai can? Kinda sad.

Units sold in Sept...

RLX - 311

Equus - 371

Remember too that VW couldn't sell the Pheaton in that class either. Hyundai is braking the rules.
I thought about mentioning Acura but then was like oh yeah

The Pheaton is slated to make a return sometime near 2015 according to rumormill
Old 10-30-13 | 04:43 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Piraiba
I think that car screams "imitation". Not gonna sell well at all if really priced 50-70k, are they nuts it's a KIA.....
The Equus sells well and starts at $61,000. And it's a Hyundai.....
Old 10-30-13 | 05:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

The Equus sells well and starts at $61,000. And it's a Hyundai.....
it does? seriously? I very rarely see one in my area.
Old 10-30-13 | 06:00 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

you cant compare this to an equis...
the equis looks like its own car and it looks classy
i cant get past the 90s kia logo and doesnt look very aggressive or classy..
i mean camon..how hard is it to come up with a creative K badging
Old 10-30-13 | 07:48 AM
LexFather

Never mind Acura.

Units sold in Sept...

RLX - 311

Equus - 371

Remember too that VW couldn't sell the Pheaton in that class either. Hyundai is breaking the rules.
That is ridiculous, and the RLX is cheaper and brand new. What a disaster. I don't see Kia selling very many but as many have stated it is a way for them to continuously move the brand upward. Compared to Ford, Toyota, Honda etc Kia and Hyundai offer these vehicles to move the brand up in stature. I'm not sure if its completely working but these things take time.

I do wish whomever worked on the Optima worked on this new car, it seems rather bulbous and bland compared to the sharp looking Optima.
Old 10-30-13 | 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think higher end luxury buyers like the toned down classic styling. Look at the LS compared to the IS, but that would be bad *** to have a larger RWD version off the Optima
Old 10-30-13 | 09:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Never mind Acura.

Units sold in Sept...

RLX - 311

Equus - 371

I won't even waste any time on Acura.

As for Hyundai/Kia, yeah it's nice they offer a full-size RWD V8 sedan, but that's about it. Nothing special about their sedans. Derivative, copycat "me too" styling and nothing unique or exceptional about them. Equus sales have been mediocre at best, and the only thing keeping the car from completely flopping is price.

Also silly to bring the Phaeton into this argument. The Phaeton when it debuted in the US roughly 10 years ago had a higher base price than the Equus does now.
Old 10-30-13 | 10:29 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
That is ridiculous, and the RLX is cheaper and brand new. What a disaster. I don't see Kia selling very many but as many have stated it is a way for them to continuously move the brand upward. Compared to Ford, Toyota, Honda etc Kia and Hyundai offer these vehicles to move the brand up in stature. I'm not sure if its completely working but these things take time.

I do wish whomever worked on the Optima worked on this new car, it seems rather bulbous and bland compared to the sharp looking Optima.
Yeah the Optima 'was' nice. Unfortunately they ruined the clean lines with the facelift.

Literally went from handsome to hideous.

Now it looks worse than the Fusion.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-30-13 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan