Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan will start building Rogue in Korea to meet U.S. demand

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Nissan will start building Rogue in Korea to meet U.S. demand

Nissan will start building Rogue in Korea to meet U.S. demand

Nissan already announced that production of the next-generation Rogue crossover will shift to its Smyrna, Tennessee facility, but apparently, that won't be enough. In a new statement, the Renault-Nissan Alliance confirms that Rogue models will also be built at the Renault Samsung facility in Busan, South Korea.

The current Rogue, pictured above, is built in Japan. The next-generation Rogue is set to launch sometime in the next year as part of Nissan's new-product onslaught.

The Renault-Nissan Alliance plans to invest $160 million in its Busan facility to accommodate production of the new Rogue. According to the company, Busan will produce around 80,000 Rogues annually – that's in addition to the estimated 100,000 to 120,000 Rogues that will come out of Tennessee.

Rogue production in Korea is scheduled to start in 2014, while Smyrna starts building the new crossover next year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/22/n...et-u-s-demand/
Old 07-22-12, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

So on a car that doesn't even exist yet, Nissan knows they have such a hit they need extra capacity? Dang, must be nice predicting the car world future. *Other car companies please take note.
Old 07-23-12, 02:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So on a car that doesn't even exist yet, Nissan knows they have such a hit they need extra capacity? Dang, must be nice predicting the car world future. *Other car companies please take note.
generally, thats how it is done :-).

Toyota has been planning capacity reorganizations for new Corolla as well (worldwide).
Old 07-23-12, 03:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
generally, thats how it is done :-).

Toyota has been planning capacity reorganizations for new Corolla as well (worldwide).
Perhaps. But if the current Rogue is any indication, the word "hotcakes" does not come to mind.
Old 07-23-12, 04:31 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps. But if the current Rogue is any indication, the word "hotcakes" does not come to mind.
Where did you see "hotcakes"? Rouge is selling well to Nissan's expectation and maybe that's why Nissan wants to utilize their other facilities.
Old 07-23-12, 04:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Rogues sibbling - Qashqai sells excellent in Europe, it is best selling SUV probably.
Old 07-23-12, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't really see why the Rogue is all that popular in America. I reviewed one a few years ago, and I won't bad-mouth it.......it is a decent and adequate small SUV that gets the job done. But, over and above that, I don't find its ho-humness much to get excited about. Its interior, IMO, while well-assembled, is stark-looking and unimpressive....though, to be honest, that's also the case with the Toyota RAV-4. Like the sister Nissan Murano, the exterior styling, IMO, could be better. It's reasonably reliable and long-lasting, but certainly no more so than the competing RAV4 and Honda CR-V. It doesn't do much , if anything, that many competitors don't do as well or better. So, IMO, while it doesn't deserve any pannings, it probably doesn't deserve any real kudos, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 05:39 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rogue sales are up 24% this year.
Old 07-23-12, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
Rogue sales are up 24% this year.
Why?

As I noted in my last post, though the Rogue is admittedly a decent small SUV, what does it do that its competitors don't do as well or better...at a similiar price?

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-12 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 05:59 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

haha upon seeing the title i thought you meant Nissan went rogue as in secretly building in korea

IMO, for the price, you could get way better car.
Old 07-23-12, 06:17 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why?
One word: PRICE. You can buy a Rogue for far less than a CRV. Around here, it is easy to pick one up for under $20k.
Old 07-23-12, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why?

As I noted in my last post, though the Rogue is admittedly a decent small SUV, what does it do that its competitors don't do as well or better...at a similiar price?
A lot of people buy average cars and support them on the Internet. Non- enthusiasts vastly out number people that know about cars.

The Won is a strong reason to build in S.Korea vs the yen. Renault doesn't care where the cars are built, a huge blow to Japan.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-24-12 at 03:02 AM.

Old 07-23-12, 11:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

The overwhelming majority of Rogues I've seen in the last two years are rentals. Just throwing that out there.
Old 07-24-12, 07:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The overwhelming majority of Rogues I've seen in the last two years are rentals. Just throwing that out there.
How would you know if it's rental or not?
Old 07-24-12, 10:27 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedflex
How would you know if it's rental or not?
A trick that has worked for decades in L.A.: No license plate frame combined with the very latest or highest CA plate number. This is how most rentals look on the roads here.
And to a lesser extent, it will almost always be a base model with no brakedust (washed constantly).

Quick Reply: Nissan will start building Rogue in Korea to meet U.S. demand