Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just bought a '13 Elantra for my son

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 10:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Oh good good good GOOD!....

Super congrats! What a nice dad for buying his son a brand new car.....

The Elantra in the pic looks beautiful. Silver is a nice solid color.... There's one with blue (navy blue?) in the neighbor and oh boy what a beauty.... Looks so stylish.

You did right by going with the Elantra. It TRUMPS the Civic in interior quality and design...

You say you dislike (or wouldn't get) the Genesis Sedan???? Have you test driven an R-Spec 5.0 or 4.6 latest model? If you drive one you will say "HOLLY SH#!"
Thanks,MC.
The dealer had an silver/black R Spec in the showroom.$48K but just over $50K with dealer add on profit makers.Very nice car with that 429 HP.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here you are:

I actually did the review last year, but it's still the same design today.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...tra-sedan.html

That's because, more often than not, the PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) guys in the shop don't do what they're paid to do by checking and adjusting the PSIs when the new cars roll off the transporter....which, of course, is part of their job. They say that they check them, but, often, in fact, they don't. Tire PSIs are usually the first thing I check before I do an actual test-drive, as they can significantly affect both ride and handling. The PSIs are usually bumped-up on the ship/ train/truck-transporters to prevent possible damage to the alloy wheels when soft tires and tie-down-straps could possibly allow the wheel-rims to contact the bed during rocking-motions. Upon reaching the dealership, they are supposed to be bled down to the factory-recommended figures (and re-checked again before customer-delivery). I can't count how many times I've had to do that myself...both for my own review/test-drives, and for people I went car-shopping with when they fond a car they were interested in.

Of course, this kind of neglect/laziness may only be indicative of the low wages that some dealerships give their PDI employees in the shop. If you pay chump-change, that's the kind of work you are sometimes going to get.
Mike,I read your review after I bought the Elantra.I was buying a Civic and really should have done my research on the Elantra but the numbers worked at that time and I bit.
I agree pretty much with your review.

You posted...

Relatively smooth/refined (but not quiet) 1.8L four..

I don't know if the '11 had one,probably did but the '13 doesn't have the hood insulation pad.Another cost cutting move.I ordered the pad and clips online so that should help with the engine noise.

As far as high air pressure when picking up a new vehicle...
Always high and usually I carry a air pressure gauge but forgot it.
My ES was at 39 and a 40 when i picked it up.
Old 07-25-12, 04:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great looking Car.. not to mention the great mpg...
Old 07-25-12, 04:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Hey OP, did you consider waiting for the refreshed Civic coming out later this fall? The interior would have been fixed by then.
The problem will be a new design '13 Civic will not have the discounting and low financing.
The '12 Civic can be bought for over $1500 under invoice and .9% financing.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Great looking Car.. not to mention the great mpg...
Thanks!
It will never get the 40 but maybe 38 on the highway and 32 combo.
Old 07-25-12, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The '13 Elantra comes in a coupe now but he preferred the sedan.I was surprised.
At that age, I liked sedans myself. Easier to get friends in and out of the back seat. Also, for some occasional activity that I'd rather not describe here, except to say that it was restrained and generally didn't go too far.

Of course, today's sedans are, on average, much smaller than those back then.....with less room inside, though the conversion to FWD did help some space efficiency.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-12 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 08:42 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pickup, would love to hear feedback on real MPG, I think the Elantra along with the Mazda 3 would be my top choices in the compact car market.
Old 07-25-12, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The '12 Civic can be bought for over $1500 under invoice and .9% financing.
The latest-generation Civic, though still well-built and assembled at the factory, is a clear disappointment from cost-cutting. Examine one closely and I think you'll agree.

Thanks!
It will never get the 40 but maybe 38 on the highway and 32 combo.
EPA highway numbers are not hard to beat...I've done it myself many times. But it usually takes a level road, a light load in the car, steady moderate speeds on the gas-pedal, and a mild-weather day with no A/C. My AWD Outback, for example is EPA-rated at 28 Highway (under the older rating system), and I've done as high as 32 (31.8, to be precise).
Old 07-25-12, 11:40 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven a couple rentals at work, I have to begrugingly agree that the Elantra is a solid car. The only thinkg I don't like is the fact that Hyundai completely ripped off Toyota's ignition chime. And I'm still not sold on the long term durability of these things either.
Old 07-26-12, 05:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Nice pickup, would love to hear feedback on real MPG, I think the Elantra along with the Mazda 3 would be my top choices in the compact car market.
I had interest in the Mazda3.My son wasn't a big fan.
My son in law has an Allstate Agency and ran the difference with his present Honda and a few cars I was interested in.
The Mazda3 was $112 more every 6 months vs a new '12 Civic at $7 more.Somehow the Elantra came in at $33 less.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The latest-generation Civic, though still well-built and assembled at the factory, is a clear disappointment from cost-cutting. Examine one closely and I think you'll agree.

EPA highway numbers are not hard to beat...I've done it myself many times. But it usually takes a level road, a light load in the car, steady moderate speeds on the gas-pedal, and a mild-weather day with no A/C. My AWD Outback, for example is EPA-rated at 28 Highway (under the older rating system), and I've done as high as 32 (31.8, to be precise).
Mike,I felt the interior was nicer than the '08 and liked the new info box.

As far as the 40 MPG...
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UBEzyJbduto

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Having driven a couple rentals at work, I have to begrugingly agree that the Elantra is a solid car. The only thinkg I don't like is the fact that Hyundai completely ripped off Toyota's ignition chime. And I'm still not sold on the long term durability of these things either.

Having had the '08 Civic run 105K miles with his hrad driving without any issues but a starter last month,I'm not too confident the Elantra will do the same.
However,the 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty was a factor in my choice.Another factor was everyone in my family liked the Elantra much more.
Also he will be putting less than half the mileage per he did with the Civic so I took a chance.
Old 07-26-12, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, I felt the interior was nicer than the '08 and liked the new info box.
OK...I'll respect your opinion on that. But you seem to be one of the few to feel that way. Most Civic reviewers think the new interior is classic cost-cutting...and I agree. The chassis/suspension is also not quite what it was.
Old 07-27-12, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

civic interior, even top of the line, is just... plain... weird...

Old 07-27-12, 11:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
civic interior, even top of the line, is just... plain... weird...

Bit,the thing is when you've owned an '08 Civic and the car was solid as a rock for over 100K miles,the interior look doesn't mean much.I think it's a bit better now with the new info window box.
The Elantra interior is laid out nicer but still econo car cheap hard plastics..