Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like CVTs?
YES
42.37%
NO
33.90%
Neutral/no opinion yet
23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and people's opinions on them

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 09:13 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's funny when cars with CVT come with paddle shifters
Old 07-29-12, 09:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Convention transmissions only last 90-120k on the original factory fluid, depends how hard you drive, I have seen several GS, M and 5 having the transmissions replaced because the fluid was never changed but the cars all had pre-owned warranties on them, that covered the 8000 repair bill

CVT should last no problem, the only exception is the 1st generation Murano, but Nissan made due to those owners and has since up the CVT warranty to 10 years 120k on all CVT equipped cars to model year 2010.

Other makes no idea, Audi has CVT but I have never heard of any issues, Mini has some CVT issues
Audi has horrible CVT issues with multitronic... This is first time I hear of conventional automatics lasting 90k. Is this manual or AT?

CVT's had issues before, supposedly these new steel belts should help now, but they started appearing since 2008/2009, so there will be some time to judge them.
Old 07-29-12, 09:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Convention transmissions only last 90-120k on the original factory fluid, depends how hard you drive, I have seen several GS, M and 5 having the transmissions replaced because the fluid was never changed but the cars all had pre-owned warranties on them, that covered the 8000 repair bill

CVT should last no problem, the only exception is the 1st generation Murano, but Nissan made due to those owners and has since up the CVT warranty to 10 years 120k on all CVT equipped cars to model year 2010.

Other makes no idea, Audi has CVT but I have never heard of any issues, Mini has some CVT issues
Not completely true, it's likely but there are exceptions. For example, my 92' Corolla had over 200k miles on the original tranny, and original tranny fluid. Sure, it only had a 3 speed auto but still...lol

My 89' Toyota Van also had the original tranny, and original tranny fluid as well as original rear diff fluid at over 290k miles.
Old 07-29-12, 12:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Audi has horrible CVT issues with multitronic... This is first time I hear of conventional automatics lasting 90k. Is this manual or AT?

CVT's had issues before, supposedly these new steel belts should help now, but they started appearing since 2008/2009, so there will be some time to judge them.
Conventional transmissions lasting until 90-120k is the factory fluid never being changed, not that they only last that long, once the fluid starts to get burnt and clog the small holes in the valve body the trans stops shifting, it is possible the fluid can last longer.
Old 07-29-12, 12:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not completely true, it's likely but there are exceptions. For example, my 92' Corolla had over 200k miles on the original tranny, and original tranny fluid. Sure, it only had a 3 speed auto but still...lol

My 89' Toyota Van also had the original tranny, and original tranny fluid as well as original rear diff fluid at over 290k miles.
Yes that is possible but modern cars are not built with the same heavy duty standards they once built them with, you should try running fluids that long in brand new cars
Old 07-29-12, 01:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes that is possible but modern cars are not built with the same heavy duty standards they once built them with, you should try running fluids that long in brand new cars
I agree. I don't really want to test that out
Old 07-29-12, 02:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Conventional transmissions lasting until 90-120k is the factory fluid never being changed, not that they only last that long, once the fluid starts to get burnt and clog the small holes in the valve body the trans stops shifting, it is possible the fluid can last longer.
i cant tell you that i have seen transmission problems at anything thats more than 1 in 1000 with Toyota, and we used to handle around 1200 cars. So you are completely off.

On the other side, CVTs have been very problematic in past at least, we will need few more years to get to know these latest ones.
Old 07-29-12, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
I think it's funny when cars with CVT come with paddle shifters

I don't see it as any more quirky than paddles with a conventional automatic or automanual. As with Sport-shift levers, the paddles are there for those who want manual control of the CVT. Instead of shifting the tranny into conventional gears, the paddles simply move the drive-belt to specific, pre-programmed ratios between the two drive-pulleys. Or, if desired, the CVT can simply operate on its own.
Old 07-29-12, 06:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see it as any more quirky than paddles with a conventional automatic or automanual. As with Sport-shift levers, the paddles are there for those who want manual control of the CVT. Instead of shifting the tranny into conventional gears, the paddles simply move the drive-belt to specific, pre-programmed ratios between the two drive-pulleys. Or, if desired, the CVT can simply operate on its own.
if anything IMHO they are more important in CVT, since sound output becomes "normal" :-)
Old 07-29-12, 07:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i cant tell you that i have seen transmission problems at anything thats more than 1 in 1000 with Toyota, and we used to handle around 1200 cars. So you are completely off.

On the other side, CVTs have been very problematic in past at least, we will need few more years to get to know these latest ones.
Can you clarify what your saying, I don't really know of any trans issues with Lexus or Toyota but I have seen several that needed a trans replaced only due to owners lack of maintenance, do Toyotas no longer need trans fluid changes, of those 1000 cars what was the average mileage, any car can get to 100k with little to no maintenance its the next 100 that will start to show the abuse
Old 07-30-12, 12:23 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Had a CVT on my 2003 A4 1.8T. Was a great transmission, but only "came to life" when in manual mode. RPM's needed to stay up to avoid slight turbo lag.
Old 07-30-12, 11:25 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove my friend's rogue. It was really wierd I must say.
Old 07-30-12, 11:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Had a CVT on my 2003 A4 1.8T. Was a great transmission, but only "came to life" when in manual mode. RPM's needed to stay up to avoid slight turbo lag.
before actually trying CVT, i thought manual in CVT is the stupidest thing ever... once you try it, you realize it is required, even if it is fake and pointless :-)
Old 07-30-12, 12:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The CVT is going to be the way we get power to the ground for as long as we continue to use internal combustion engines in our cars. They represent the best way to extract efficiency from an ICE, but allowing it to run at its most efficient speed, whatever the power demands. This contributes to fuel efficiency, engine life, and a whole range of benefits that can apply directly to CAFE legislation.

The trouble is, thanks to our having been raised on rising and falling engine notes and slick gear changes as a part of our car culture, the wimpy wail of the catalyzed exhaust note of a transportation appliance (soon no longer to be called a "car") as it drips water vapor from the combustion of its hydrogen fuel from a single, pencil-thin exhaust tube, will become the sound of motoring for our children.

They will never hear the blast of a blown 426 Hemi or a Holman-Moody 427 Ford off the line. That chest-pounding experience will be as foreign to them as the sound of a Pratt and Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major aircraft engine coming to life on a cold morning is to the current generation.

Here, 28 cylinders displacing 4360 CI, it was one of the largest gasoline engines ever manufactured. With both a supercharger and twin turbochargers, it produced over 4300 horsepower - in 1944. It not only produced an eye-watering cloud of oil smoke and unburned fuel on startup, typical of large radials, it accompanied itself with a long series of explosions, coughs, hiccups, farts, gargles and snorts before settling down to an ear-splitting crackling roar. It defined spectacular.

Makes the steady purr of a CVT on launch seem pretty tame.
Old 07-30-12, 12:30 PM
LexFather

I first drove a CVT in the RX 400h and did an extensive review here on it. If I recall it felt weird and wasn't an initial fan. Its just odd to go from years of driving conventional autos and manuals to a CVT which doesn't shift.

Well now having owned CVTs and driven plenty I love them and to me a standard automatic feels less luxurious and some brands just can't get a tranny right. Now there are different levels of CVTs. For instance the GSh and LSh debuted world firsts with their CVTs, they are strong as hell and while buzzy by far the best around in refinement. How strong? My GS 450h is fine and we all know I drive hard.

When my wife (g/f at the time) had an Altima, the CVT was well suited to the car. Very unrefined in comparison to a Lexus but got the job done and matched perfectly with the engine like most CVTs.

As for the ability to "simulate" a gear, its cool to hold a gear like a traditional transmission. Rarely is it used but its good that it is there. Everyone and everything has paddle shifters so no biggie.

I drove a new G25 with the 7 speed auto extensively recently and I kept thinking "damn this tranny sucks" and wished it had a CVT. In comparison I found the CVT in the Maxima great for the car even if it isn't a "4DSC" as advertised.

So I am a big CVT supporter. The poll is close!

Quick Reply: Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and people's opinions on them