Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM Mktg chief fired

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 07:10 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GM Mktg chief fired

Joel Ewanick, GM global mktg chief fired for not meeting company expectations. Ouch!
Old 08-01-12, 07:16 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stil 4x billion in the hole
Old 08-01-12, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Joel Ewanick, GM global mktg chief fired for not meeting company expectations. Ouch!
With Buick being the top-selling car in (now) the world's fastest-growing car-market, they are going to fire their global marketing chief?

Reminds me of the day, some years ago, when Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired his head-coach Jimmy Johnson the day after the team came back from the Super Bowl with a trophy. I spit my coffee out when I saw that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-12 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 08:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,943 Likes on 2,479 Posts

He wasn't fired, he resigned. But seriously, he could have been let go for a number of reasons not related to his actual job performance. Maybe he banged the wrong wife or ran over the wrong dog who knows.
Old 08-01-12, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

they need to fire more than him if they want better performance
Old 08-01-12, 09:26 PM
LexFather

The ads do need help. They got a much better product but can't translate it to customers. They need the CTS and Camaro team cloned!

Old 08-02-12, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The ads do need help.
Who with any sense actually buys a car based on ads?...............many of, I'm sure you and can both agree on, are an insult to one's intelligence.

If that were the case, Consumer Reports, other consumer publications, Edmund's and similiar organizations, the auto-enthusiast mags, and, of course, MM and 1SICK reviews would be out of buisness.
Old 08-02-12, 10:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Who with any sense actually buys a car based on ads?...............many of, I'm sure you and can both agree on, are an insult to one's intelligence.
There are many consumers out there, especially enthusiasts and loyalists (hey, we've got a bunch of them in this forum... ), that are emotion-driven, not intellect-driven.

But then again, most cars are based on emotion, not function. You can't sell muscle cars, GT convertibles, and race coupes based on intelligence...
Old 08-02-12, 10:23 AM
LexFather

If that were the case, Consumer Reports, other consumer publications, Edmund's and similiar organizations, the auto-enthusiast mags, and, of course, MM and 1SICK reviews would be out of buisness.
Mike you also don't think spending money on voters matters so not surprised by your stance here. The bottom line is marketing/advertising is huge to sway public opinion and perception, especially since most are not enthusiasts.

A non-enthusiast seems a car and just likes how it looks or maybe the price. GM really needs to translate their improvement and vehicles better. They have done it with the CTS, Camaro and last gen Malibu for example.

lol at our reviews out of business
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
There are many consumers out there, especially enthusiasts and loyalists (hey, we've got a bunch of them in this forum... ), that are emotion-driven, not intellect-driven.

But then again, most cars are based on emotion, not function. You can't sell muscle cars, GT convertibles, and race coupes based on intelligence...
Great post.

We need to all hope GM does well, that is a manufacturing powerhouse and that employees so many thousands of Americans directly and indirectly.

Old 08-02-12, 10:53 AM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate commercial that attack opponent's weakness rather than stating the car's strength. that's like the politician, and they are the lowest life on earth.

for the same reason, i hate Hyundai's first super bowl genesis commercial, for that reason alone you will not find me buying a Hyundai.

and if this guys directed GM's commercial to make fun of Ford, he should be let go. he brought great shame to entire GM brand.
Old 08-02-12, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike you also don't think spending money on voters matters so not surprised by your stance here.
I agree money helps get the camaign-message out (I've always felt that way).......that's why it is needed for today's campaigns. Money, though, can't force people to pull levers or push buttons once they are actually in the voting-booth....and that's where elections are won or lost. In the booth, it is strictly a matter of the mind and conscience.

The bottom line is marketing/advertising is huge to sway public opinion and perception, especially since most are not enthusiasts.
Yet, check the typical car-enthusiast mag (C&D, R&T, Autoweek, Motor Trend, etc.....) and you'll find more ads inside than pages.

Of course, the car-mags have ads for lots more than just cars........shaving, personal-grooming, car-care-supplies, tobacco products, clothing, male-enhancement drugs, etc.....

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 12:27 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

With Buick being the top-selling car in (now) the world's fastest-growing car-market, they are going to fire their global marketing chief?
Where did you get this data from? The top selling car should be the VW Santana, since 99% of Chinese taxis use them and the majority of the 1.3 billion people there do not have cars. Even if it is somehow true, unfortunately, GM only benefits a fraction (50%) because Chinese (communist) laws require the State to own 50% of the company as a join venture with GM.
Old 08-02-12, 12:58 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealership traffic is based on ads. All those magazines you name depend on ad revenue. Bad ads, means less dealership traffic, means less sales. Face it, majority of people buy car as an emotional or status purchase. Marketing and advertising feeds that emotion and status symbol.
Old 08-03-12, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Dealership traffic is based on ads.
Those ads, more often than not, insult an ape's intelligence, much less a human's. I've see more more credibility in WWE shows.

Face it, majority of people buy car as an emotional or status purchase. Marketing and advertising feeds that emotion and status symbol.
Not in my experience...and I've helped a lot of people shop for new vehicles over the years. There was an occasional lust for image here and there, such as the new bright-red Toyota MR2 Turbo that an old friend of mine just had to have for himself because it looked like a Ferrari but was more reliable, or the two Dodge Viper coupes he bought for his sports-car-rental company. But the vast majority of them simply wanted (or needed) a suitable, affordable, reliable daily-driver that met their needs, not something to show off with or to keep up with the Jones'es. These included cars that, on average, ran from around 10-12K to about 40K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-12 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
Where did you get this data from? The top selling car should be the VW Santana, since 99% of Chinese taxis use them and the majority of the 1.3 billion people there do not have cars.

Those who do buy cars, though, in China, simply love the Buick Excelle.

(In fact, I just bought the American-spec version myself....the Verano)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-selling-car/

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/...breaks-record/

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-12 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: GM Mktg chief fired