Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Let's discuss professional racing: does it sell cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 06:34 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think racing sells cars and brands, it is just different to each racing series.

In NASCAR for example, if you are a Dale Jr. fan, 90% chance you drive a chevy, most likely a truck, but basically any chevy, and not be caught dead in a ford or import.

I am a Chevy guy over Ford, because of the Corvette, and being a fan of dale earndhart, jeff gordan and tony stewart all Chevy drivers.

In sports car racing, to me it is all about Porsche, because of their racing history and what they develop and use on the track, ens up in the hands of the consumer.

Other examples include Subaru when they had their world rally program, that translated to millions of fans who went out and bought WRX's.
Old 08-07-12, 10:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RACING: further proof that success doesn't mean profitability.

Old 08-15-12, 07:39 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

January 2004 I was working a new model press introduction at the Chrysler proving grounds outside of Phoenix AZ. I was chosen to drive Dieter Zetsche ( Chrysler CEO at the time) back to his hotel in Paradise Valley. The main topic of discussion with his collegues on the 30 minute drive was the fairly
new Dodge Nascar teams & how they could become winners in Nascar since they had to win to be worth the expense of racing. A few years later MBZ/ Damiler sold Chrysler & Dieter Zetsche became CEO of Damiler.