Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Five popular cars to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I wonder if the Edge they tested had the 22s, that can make the ride very harsh.
Yep. The obsession today with large wheels and low-profile tires does pay its price....both in ride and in pothole/impact-protection.

Its hilarious to see the Civic on here and it sells so well though it now has record incentives. So many of us called it from the start how bad this new gen was and the opposition is eating crow
You and I both know, Mike, that today's Civic is selling mainly on its past reputation. That said, though, it is still a well-built car, even with the disappointing cost-cutting.

Not going to defend the Prius C, its clearly made to be the best MPG hybrid and sacrificed in other areas.
Given the C's cost and what you actually get with it (and I reviewed a C), I think Consumer Reports went a little overboard in some of its criticisms. It is definitely a good alternative to the Honda Insight.
Old 08-09-12, 10:13 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldnt touch a single car on the list.
Old 08-09-12, 04:59 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Me either.

I will say that CR completely missed the point about the Liberty when comparing it to the RAV4 and CR-V but that's par for the course for them.
Old 08-09-12, 05:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I find it funny how pissed people get over Ford's radio. Must be little else wrong with the vehicles, lol.
Old 08-09-12, 06:51 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope Ford fixes the radio issue before the new fusion comes out
Old 08-09-12, 07:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I bet my wife would love Prius c. Heck, if we check Prius forums, owners love it... someone should ping them and tell them how their dash plastic is not of proper softness and hence they should have never purchased the car :-).
Old 08-09-12, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This is one of the worst articles I've read in years. CR is way out of line and off their rocker. The Civic is a downgrade from the LAST MODEL, not a downgrade from many of it's peers! That does not make it a bad car at all! Everyone keeps confusing that issue and it's due to erroneous statements like that from CR. The Civic still tests well and gets better grades compared to a long list of competitors. Really pisses me off when a twist of words gets taken way too far. CR needs to apologize to the public and Honda for the misinformation.

Similar problem with the Pruis C being on this list. It tests out well and gets incredible mileage compared to most cars in it's class, yet it's constantly being compared to the regular Prius instead of other peers. That is an unfair comparison all other cars are not subjected to. Really unprofessional reporting here.
Old 08-10-12, 05:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
I will say that CR completely missed the point about the Liberty when comparing it to the RAV4 and CR-V but that's par for the course for them.
Yep, the Liberty is a truck based SUV for offroading that is not trying to be a soccer-mom smooth riding crossover vehicle.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I bet my wife would love Prius c. Heck, if we check Prius forums, owners love it... someone should ping them and tell them how their dash plastic is not of proper softness and hence they should have never purchased the car :-).
Yep the Priuschat guys love the C!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-10-12 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is one of the worst articles I've read in years. CR is way out of line and off their rocker. The Civic is a downgrade from the LAST MODEL, not a downgrade from many of it's peers! That does not make it a bad car at all! Everyone keeps confusing that issue and it's due to erroneous statements like that from CR. The Civic still tests well and gets better grades compared to a long list of competitors. Really pisses me off when a twist of words gets taken way too far. CR needs to apologize to the public and Honda for the misinformation.
I agree that CR may have gone overboard in their criticism of the new Civic, but that doesn't mean that they are off their rocker. As you yourself note (and I concur), it is a significant downgrade from previous models (I noticed that that in the first two minutes of my latest Civic review). Honda, like it or not, is capable of doing better.
Old 08-10-12, 09:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Similar problem with the Pruis C being on this list. It tests out well and gets incredible mileage compared to most cars in it's class, yet it's constantly being compared to the regular Prius instead of other peers. That is an unfair comparison all other cars are not subjected to. Really unprofessional reporting here.
Here are the comments from CR. I didn't see anything worthy of an apology - Unless I'm missing something.

Honda Civic

For years, the Civic has been an iconic small car. But Honda took too many shortcuts in its latest redesign. The Civic is still one of the more reliable and fuel-efficient cars in its class. But the current model suffers from a choppy ride, noisy cabin, vague steering, and mediocre interior quality. The Subaru Impreza, Hyundai Elantra, and Mazda3 are better small cars with similar or better fuel economy.
Old 08-10-12, 10:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Guys I've pulled out some inappropriate comments and disputes carried across from other threads. Keep this on topics of the article and the vehicles please.
Old 08-10-12, 11:13 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Yep, the Liberty is a truck based SUV for offroading that is not trying to be a soccer-mom smooth riding crossover vehicle.

Yep the Priuschat guys love the C!
Yep.

I remember when CR last wrote about an XJ6, this was in 93 or so and they suggested that a Lexus ES had a bit more interior and trunk space plus being FWD would be a more practical choice.

Yeah. OK guys.

But the thing is, CR is really aimed at Mr and Mrs John Q Public, you know, the average everyday individual who wants transportation, and for them an Altima or a Prius or a Camry or something like that fits the bill.

Personally I'd rather get kicked in the teeth than drive a Prius.
Old 08-10-12, 01:12 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Personally I'd rather get kicked in the teeth than drive a Prius.
LMAO, have you ever been actually kicked in the teeth for comparison? lol given the options, Prius please.
Old 08-10-12, 01:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here are the comments from CR. I didn't see anything worthy of an apology - Unless I'm missing something.

Honda Civic

For years, the Civic has been an iconic small car. But Honda took too many shortcuts in its latest redesign. The Civic is still one of the more reliable and fuel-efficient cars in its class. But the current model suffers from a choppy ride, noisy cabin, vague steering, and mediocre interior quality. The Subaru Impreza, Hyundai Elantra, and Mazda3 are better small cars with similar or better fuel economy.
Then I flat out disagree with CR's findings. Honda's legendary reliability combined with stellar fuel economy and high resale make the Civic a very wise buy. To not recommend it is a diservice to Joe or Jane Smith who needs reliable and economical transportation.
Old 08-11-12, 02:18 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts

I wouldn't buy any of these cars to be honest.

The new Civic must really suck because I've only seen one on the road. The previous generation was extremely popular though.

Quick Reply: Five popular cars to avoid