Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Europe's luxury icons embrace 4-bangers, hybrids, EVs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Post Europe's luxury icons embrace 4-bangers, hybrids, EVs

As I stated before I think the Germans bringing more hybrids and EVs to market will give Asian brands a boost since consumers will likely compare them.

Jaguar sales should improve with the smaller engine offerings.

So far it is just a trickle, but four-cylinder engines are making their way into European luxury vehicles in the United States.

Four-bangers have become available in the past 12 months in Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Land Rover products. And Jaguar, which has only V-8s on its three car lines, rolls out new four- and six-cylinder powerplants this fall.

Volvo begins switching to a new family of four-cylinder engines in the fall of 2013. Eventually, Volvo will phase out its five- and six-cylinder engines.

And the Europeans are beginning to challenge the Japanese dominance of the hybrid and electric market. BMW plans a 3-series hybrid and will update the 7-series hybrid.

Mercedes-Benz has E- and S-class hybrids and will launch additional plug-ins with the debut of the redesigned S class next year and the new-generation C class in 2014.

BMW will beat Mercedes-Benz to the market with the all-electric i3 in the fall of 2013. Mercedes launches its electric B class in 2014.

Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo were product-starved for a few years while Ford Motor Co. tried to unload them. Now they have foreign owners: Jaguar and Land Rover were bought by India's Tata Motors, and Volvo is in the hands of China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group. They are slowly rebuilding the brands with new vehicles and redesigns more essential for survival than electric and hybrid powerplants.

Jaguar is launching the F-Type roadster next year. A smaller sedan intended to compete with the BMW 3 series is still at least two years away.

Land Rover finally will replace its iconic flagship, the 12-year-old Range Rover, in early 2013.

Volvo will replace its 10-year-old XC90 crossover in 2014 when a new platform architecture debuts. Until then, it has to rely on the XC60 crossover and S60 sedan, which are still on a Ford platform.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz239Ykoqbu

Old 08-10-12, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

For some reason, it is hard for me to take JLR or Volvo seriously yet...
Old 08-10-12, 10:59 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came very close to an XF to replace my GS, its just too tight inside. The new XJ is an incredible machine, I keep thinking that in another year when they start to come off lease that I'll pull the trigger.

FWIW, the Quality isn't an issue, I wish my GS was HALF as reliable as my '06 XJ8.

Instead of Hybrid and 4cyl Nonsense they just ought to import their diesels.
Old 08-10-12, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Jaguar is also getting its own supercharged V6, believe its in the 3.0 range
Old 08-10-12, 11:37 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am driving a new 528 Xdrive now since my car is in service.

This is the first time I drive BMW's new turbo 4, and god I am impressed! The little 4 banger got the punch! Take offs and highway pick up is very good, just have to tap and the car will shoot. The lighter front strike better balance and I feel total confident making fast turns. I think the 8 speed tranny really helps too. Only full throttle you will notice it actually has 240Hp, and at idle the little vibration will remind you you are driving a 4 cycl.

Overall, I would say it is a good engine for the 5 series, and it's enough for regular folks. I wouldn't mind have one as a daily.