Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

windshield cracked @ dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 08:07 AM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windshield cracked @ dealer service

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding this event that took place last week. i took my pristine 2003 sc430 / 26k mi to my local dealer to have the battery replaced. i have bought several cars from this dealership, always returning them for service. i am pleased with the customer experience they have provided. at 1:30 they indicated the car was ready to be picked up. i arrived at 3:30 and was surprised when the service advisor indicated the car was being washed and would be brought up shortly, well it was however it had a footlong crack running from the left side through the center of the windshield.

i pointed this out to my service advisor and indicated i realized nothing could be resolved at this late hour, and returned home. at this time i have no reason to believe they wont just replace the windshield and we can all just move on. just curious as to your thoughts as to the next step in the event this is not the case. - thanks
Old 08-13-12, 08:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lot of possibilities, there couldve been a rock ding on the edge of the windshield. If the temperature changes quickly the crack will start moving down the windshield. A car wash could do this and i see you are in the New Mexico heat. Can you check the edges to see if there was a rock impact. This happened to my friend in the winter once. A rock hit his windshield in the low black bordered part of the windshield that he couldnt see. Everything was fine until one day he turned on the front defroster which heated up the windshield. Next thing you know the crack is snaking up his windshield as it heats up.

Follow up with the service advisor to see if they will replace it, but I can see at the same time that I could be not their fault at all. But check for a rock impact somewhere. Might want to check if your insurance has windshield coverage too.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-13-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 08:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you'll be lucky if they agree to replace it ---- did they admit to driving it outside the dealership? if so, why?

my thoughts --- possibly could have happened on the WAY to the dealer??....then the crack ran will the car was sitting in the sun....if the initial impact was low, you'd have a hard time seeing it.
Old 08-13-12, 09:34 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First question is what did the advisor say when you pointed it out to them? Should be an easy conversation to have. Wasn't damaged when you brought it in which would be verifiied by their inspection checklist and damaged when picked up. A footlong crack isn't going to go unnoticed and if it were damaged when brought in, they would have tried to hit out over the head with charges to replace it.

I wouldn't have accepted the car back though.
Old 08-13-12, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

This doesn't help out the OP but when I took my Lexus in for for service a couple of weeks ago the SA did a through walk around the car (way more through than usual) and had me sign the inspection sheet (the car didn't have any issues).

A week later I took my Mazda into the dealer for service and they did the same thing, also more through than usual.

Must be new policies to avoid any issues upon picking up the cars.
Old 08-13-12, 01:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Be careful !!! I had insane pitting in my new windshield, complained, and was told not to return. Then again very few dealerships would ever be as crappy as Bell Lexus in AZ. They didnt fix my car, had it for 23 days, damaged my glass, and then told me i was "too picky" and not to return. I still cant believe it as I type this.

I need to start doing the walk arounds as well. The new dealership curbed my front right Vossen 22" wheel. I was so freaked out by the crappy service from Bell Lexus I was afraid to even mention it to the SA
Old 08-13-12, 02:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

stress crack is not new on sc430. i have read 2 cases before i think, and i was another victim.

no rock chip, no nothing. my wife parked the car outside on a hot day, when picking up the car in the afternoon she saw this crack across the windshield right in the middle, going halfway.

went to dealership, service manager used his pen to feel across the whole crack, didn't even click once (indicating it's a rock chip) and the whole thing replaced
Old 08-13-12, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if there is an issue with the thickness. Usually these luxury cars have top quality thick glass
Old 08-13-12, 04:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I wonder if there is an issue with the thickness. Usually these luxury cars have top quality thick glass
i hate to say but i am not very impressed with lexus windshield the past few years. my ls460 cracked within a month of ownership, my gs350 cracked within 6 months. sc430 you know already. my gs400 and is300 never a problem. my m3 was hit very bad at least 3-4 times (super loud and right in the face) but only shown as pits on the windshield.
Old 08-15-12, 03:36 PM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very pleased with the resolution of this problem. with no back and forth, the dealership offered me two options. 1. i pay $600.00 for replacement with lexus glass. 2. i pay zero for replacement with ppg glass. option 2 a no brainer for me as i could get a rock thru the windshield next trip. yet another reason to remain a loyal lexus customer.
Old 08-15-12, 04:28 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of curiosity, what's the price for an OEM Lexus windshield replacement for the SC430? $1000??

I was wondering since the OP has an SC430 too.
Old 08-15-12, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

can't remember anymore but for our 05 sc430 i think it was 1100 or so? my gs350 it was 1400. ls460l was like 1600. the new generation gs350 with heads up display, i think it's like 1900
Old 08-15-12, 07:53 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Not sure about the SC but I believe my LS is supposed to have some sort of acoustic glass and coating on the front.
Old 08-15-12, 11:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i hate to say but i am not very impressed with lexus windshield the past few years. my ls460 cracked within a month of ownership, my gs350 cracked within 6 months. sc430 you know already. my gs400 and is300 never a problem. my m3 was hit very bad at least 3-4 times (super loud and right in the face) but only shown as pits on the windshield.
I guess Lexus has soft paint AND soft glass. I am amazed at how quickly they pit, and how easily they will need to be replaced. My Infiniti was no better.
Old 08-15-12, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess Lexus has soft paint AND soft glass. I am amazed at how quickly they pit, and how easily they will need to be replaced. My Infiniti was no better.
well at least lexus paint is easy to polish. bmw and mb paints are very hard (very impressed with my m3 and s550), but orange peel and such...

Quick Reply: windshield cracked @ dealer service