Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Over 10% of new car buyers skip the test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 09:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Over 10% of new car buyers skip the test drive

Over 10% of new car buyers skip the test drive

How disinterested are consumers in their cars? According to a new study reported in The Detroit Free Press, more than 10 percent of new car buyers can't be bothered to take a test drive.

The study, conducted by Maritz Research, surveyed over 80,000 people who had bought 2012 model year vehicles, and the final tally of those who didn't take a test drive was 11.4 percent, according to the report. The implication is that with some 80 percent of consumers doing their car research on the Internet, combined with a universal dislike of car sales practices, people are increasingly willing to buy a car almost sight unseen.

Dealers, oddly enough, are not happy about this trend, according to the report. The test drive is part of the dealer's arsenal of tactics to get people excited enough to part with their hard earned cash. As one former dealership representative told the Freep, "The feel of the wheel will seal the deal."

But the test drive can also be a crucial determiner for consumers, especially when car shoppers do an adequate job of comparing different vehicles by undertaking thorough test drives. No matter how good a model might look on paper or how glowingly some "professional" car reviewer might describe it, there's no replacement for actually getting it out on the road and experiencing it yourself.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/o...he-test-drive/
Old 08-13-12, 09:09 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

yeah that 10% is crazy.. I couldn't fathom NOT test driving before buying
Old 08-13-12, 09:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

i suspect most don't want to be in a car with the salesperson that long.
Old 08-13-12, 10:01 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured it was the salespeople being lazy myself

Typical day at work "what do you mean you didn't test drive them?"
Old 08-13-12, 10:03 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i suspect most don't want to be in a car with the salesperson that long.
funny enough sometimes I just hand over the keys and say have fun. making a copy of the drivers license of course
Old 08-13-12, 11:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it to the last purchase of my Toyota Sienna. I basically called my buddy in the dealership, got the price quote on the trim/color I like, and told him to get the car ready. Then went to the dealership sign the paper, put in the downpayment, and that's it. First time I saw my van and drive it was when I leave the dealership.

Also my 7, saw the ad with pictures on the internet, make an appointment to see the car, car wasn't there since the sales made a mistake to transferred it to their other store cross town. Still sat down and negociated the deal, put the downpayment the same night. The next day the dealer called and inform me the car was ready, so I went and sign the final paperwork, walk through the car in the delivery room, skipped the demo offered by the sales, and off I went home!
Old 08-13-12, 11:04 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I like to do is to do the homework on the cars I am interested, and make a decision on a particular year/model/options/colors I like ( Usually it's already narrowed down to a very specific car ) When I see the exact car for sale, I will jump on it without look back. No need to test drive since nothing will change my mind except the car itself has problems. ( very unlikely since the last two purchases, one was brand new, one was certified pre-owned. )
Old 08-13-12, 11:12 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Mmmmm i looked forward to the test drive... More so if its previously owned. But when they are brand new its just fun and makes the day all worth it. Havent passed on a test drive yet
Old 08-13-12, 11:23 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow... I would NEVER buy a car without test driving it!
Old 08-14-12, 12:15 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol I must say I have bought cars without test driving, but only because a good, close, trusted friend approved of the vechicles prior to me buying. Also, most important the vechicles were not over 20k, if I was spending over that price I would def have to test drive. I actually was very close to buying a 5 series(can't remember the model, as it left no impression on me) a while ago, but the test drive changed my mind.(All wheel drive and seemed underpowered for the price)
Old 08-14-12, 04:53 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting result! I'm the opposite. Not only do I test drive cars before selecting and negotiating a price but on delivery day when the car is all cleaned and ready for pick up, I take it out for a 'real' test drive before signing and handing over the money. Yup I'm a PIA
Old 08-14-12, 05:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i went to the Taste of Lexus driving event thats where i first drove the IS350. I knew I wanted one then. I didnt test drive it again at the dealer. Only time I went to the dealer was to pick up the car.
Old 08-14-12, 05:58 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not buy new so I always test drive to check the vehicle out. If i was buying new I think i would still take it for a quick spin just to make sure I liked the feel/ergonomics, ext but would be less inclined to do so vs buying used.
Old 08-14-12, 08:02 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this explains why so many people own Saturns and Neons.
Old 08-14-12, 08:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best used cars to buy are the ones that weren't test driven.

Buyer's remorse can get you great deals...

Quick Reply: Over 10% of new car buyers skip the test drive