Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai working on a 3-Series sedan competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 09:39 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai working on a 3-Series sedan competitor?

Just a rumor/speculation at this point.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-3-series.html

“The Genesis Coupe is in the same segment, really, as the 3 Series coupe,” Hyundai CEO John Krafcik told Automotive News. ”One of the things we’re thinking is: Should we do something that’s a sedan version of that?”

The car is known internally at company as the “RK”, and will take most of its style and likely its powertrain from the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Hyundai also says it will probably be ready by 2015 and has actually been in the pipeline for a while now.

Besides the 3 Series, the new Hyundai sports coupe will also take on the likes of the Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4, Lexus IS, and Infiniti G
Old 08-13-12, 10:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Well it might be aimed at those tier one stars, but in reality it'll be priced as a premium option to them. ie Hyundai is becoming the premium brand and Kia the mainstream similar to Honda/Acura, Chevrolet/Buick, Dodge/Chrysler. Personally I think this small rear-wheel Hyundai sedan will follow the fate of both it's stable mate Genesis sedan and it's competitor Infiniti G37 who is always second fiddle to the benchmark 3-Series despite it's many proficiencies
Old 08-13-12, 11:00 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Definately agree it wont sell anywhere near as much as the 3-series, but i guess its good to have another rwd option out there.
Old 08-13-12, 11:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can set the goal high, but when they didn't achieve it, no one is really gonna blame them for not beating the benchmark of the segment.

But I really hope the consistent improvements from the Korean automarkers will push Lexus, as well as other Japanese premium brands to further enhance themselves.
Old 08-14-12, 09:35 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the Genesis coupe taking some of the lower end's market share right now? To me, it's more like a competition between the 1series, A3 and CT than it is against the 3series.
Old 08-14-12, 12:06 PM
LexFather

It simply continues to help solidify them as an brand to be interesting and to maybe keep some buyers from leaving. The Genesis coupe/sedan never met sales targets but they have a solid niche. Adding another RWD car to the mix maybe in the 25-35k range would be smart as hell and we know it will be loaded with features. The thing is you can get a Genesis sedan in the high 20s which is a stunning bargain.

Lets be honest here. We have seen the IS come first, then the G35 and now the CTS/C-class/A4/A5 offer coupes yet the 3 Series is still seen as the benchmark and still sells best in class.

Hyundai is smart and doing a brilliant job with a won that is very favorable. Reminds me of someone back in the 80s/90s

Old 08-14-12, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

op quote is about a sedan but ends with

Besides the 3 Series, the new Hyundai sports coupe will also take on the likes of the Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4, Lexus IS, and Infiniti G
assuming that meant sedan, i think the new cadillac ats is in the mix there - and it seems very impressive.
Old 08-14-12, 01:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

every company and their mamas have a 3 series competitor AND none of them ever knock off the 3 series from its benchmark position. They can all say 3 series competitor but we all know who will win
Old 08-14-12, 01:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am down for something along the lines of a four-door FR-S/BR-Z
Old 08-14-12, 01:19 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Funny they say just rumors when the car has been in development for some time.
Old 08-14-12, 01:21 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
every company and their mamas have a 3 series competitor AND none of them ever knock off the 3 series from its benchmark position. They can all say 3 series competitor but we all know who will win
Well we do know how the first of the ISs, Gs, A4s, S60s, C-classes, 9-3s and CTSs turned out but hey can't knock Hyundai for wanting to get into the same game that some of the major players all first failed at.
Old 08-14-12, 02:02 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I read this a while ago and I would love if Hyundai followed through with a mid size sporty sedan. Extremely tough segment but I think they would do well.

Porsche are the only ones who could build a mid size sporty sedan and unseat the 3 series on their first try. The steering, brakes, gearbox and suspension would match or beat a 3. Problem is it would be expensive as hell. I guess they've always felt it's just not worth it.

Last edited by LH1; 08-14-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 02:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I read this a while ago and I would love if Hyundai followed through with a mid size sporty sedan. Extremely tough segment but I think they would do well.

Porsche are the only ones who could build a mid size sporty sedan and unseat the 3 series on their first try. The steering, brakes, gearbox and suspension would match or beat a 3. Problem is it would be expensive as hell. I guess they've always felt it's just not worth it.
BUT they have not. I read an article on the baby Panamera but it seems too big to compete with the 3 series.
Old 08-14-12, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

BUT they have not. I read an article on the baby Panamera but it seems too big to compete with the 3 series.
correct a baby Panamera would not be a 3-series competitor. Rather your looking at a 5-Series
Old 08-14-12, 04:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

1sicklex and Lexuslvr91 - please exit the thread.

Quick Reply: Hyundai working on a 3-Series sedan competitor?