Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: IIHS launching first new frontal crash test since 1995

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 10:01 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way IIHS rate this small over lap test is a bit strange to me. I went throgh the photos from that test batch and both the red and silver car got a poor rating but if you look at it the silver car is completely crushed and red held up just fine.

If you were in the silver car your legs will be crushed and be suffering for a long time until someone cuts you out. (without your legs most likely)
But in the red car you be walking away on your own, injured yes, but walking away none the less. So IIHS needs to seriously re-evaulate their ratings as it doesn't not make any sense at all.
Attached Thumbnails Official: IIHS launching first new frontal crash test since 1995-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 08-14-12, 11:09 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormwind
The way IIHS rate this small over lap test is a bit strange to me. I went throgh the photos from that test batch and both the red and silver car got a poor rating but if you look at it the silver car is completely crushed and red held up just fine.

If you were in the silver car your legs will be crushed and be suffering for a long time until someone cuts you out. (without your legs most likely)
But in the red car you be walking away on your own, injured yes, but walking away none the less. So IIHS needs to seriously re-evaulate their ratings as it doesn't not make any sense at all.
I agree, but the full doc explains why the C-Class got a Poor in the foot area.
http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4706.pdf
Old 08-14-12, 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Volvo did an excellent job on the S60 in terms of both safety and exterior design. now about that interior
Old 08-14-12, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would take my chances in a beautiful looking IS or good looking ES or trusty C-class than be "safe" in an ugly TL. Maybe the ugly scared the wall.

Sorry but I refuse to be safe in ugly. Life is too short Kinda ironic lol (tries not to crash today) .
i see a new ad campaign...

we may not be the safest, but we sure ain't the ugliest.
Old 08-14-12, 05:47 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
there are number of people asking why would customer so loyal to Honda, even when their engine is not the strongest, and style is questionable. and i suppose this offer a reason? there is a lot of stuff goes under the skin that does not reflect into the spec.
Honda's bodies are very strong and stiff, which is something I've noticed of late.

Toyota/Lexus not so much, and you can tell by the way that IS crumbles. If you compare it with the Mercedes C-class (Mercedes having a reputation for solidity), you will notice how little the C-class passenger compartment crumples.

The theory also is that softly sprung cars like Toyota/Lexuses don't need as stiff a body as sportier cars (Hondas, Nissans, etc...) and this has probably made Toyota complacent in this area.

BUT it's also important to note that many things can contribute to how much that passenger compartment crumples, and it might not all be about solidity. A correctly placed crumple beam could have prevented much of the carnage for example. Also while the IS looks like one of the newest cars in its segment from those videos, it is the oldest, and therefore has the oldest engineered body.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-14-12 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 06:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

it is not that complicated - oldest cars get the worst ratings... they probably picked IS and ES because they were old cars to make a point.

And such new tests are usually known to automakers few years before they are implemented, so they have time to engineer their new models for them.
Old 08-14-12, 06:15 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I wonder why they didnt make it crash into a deformable barrier to simulate another vehicle.
Old 08-14-12, 06:24 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

my poor IS I wouldn't expect the 2014 IS to be much better. I doubt they can make these sort of changes to the under-body at this point.
Old 08-14-12, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Honda's bodies are very strong and stiff, which is something I've noticed of late.

Toyota/Lexus not so much, and you can tell by the way that IS crumbles. If you compare it with the Mercedes C-class (Mercedes having a reputation for solidity), you will notice how little the C-class passenger compartment crumples.

[

The theory also is that softly sprung cars like Toyota/Lexuses don't need as stiff a body as sportier cars (Hondas, Nissans, etc...) and this has probably made Toyota complacent in this area.

BUT it's also important to note that many things can contribute to how much that passenger compartment crumples, and it might not all be about solidity. A correctly placed crumple beam could have prevented much of the carnage for example. Also while the IS looks like one of the newest cars in its segment from those videos, it is the oldest, and therefore has the oldest engineered body.
That has nothing to do with it and you are really reaching. The C-class is even softer than an IS. Did it occur to ANYONE that the IS is 180 inches long and the TL in this test for example is 194 inches long, that is a HUGE difference. Look at the design between the two, the IS has a very low hood whereas the TL has a near SUV like front end. Clearly they will crash differently. Ever see a sporty car crash with a SUV? The SUV walks away and the sporty car takes the punishment.

The goalposts changed on existing cars not designed to test well here. Look at how ****ing ugly cars and vehicles are getting due to safety and crash standards and pedestrian laws in Europe. What are we going to do next attach bull horns in front of cars?

All the cars are safe to me and I don't fear riding/driving any of them.

Old 08-14-12, 06:51 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not that complicated - oldest cars get the worst ratings... they probably picked IS and ES because they were old cars to make a point.

And such new tests are usually known to automakers few years before they are implemented, so they have time to engineer their new models for them.
while IS and ES are indeed the oldest car here (and among some of the worst performer), what you said is simply not true.

rank from top to bottom : first model year

TL: 2009
S60: 2010
4th G: 2007
TSX: 2009
BMW 3: 2012
MKZ:2010
CC: 2008
C : 2007
IS:2005
A4: 2008
ES350: 2006
Old 08-14-12, 07:03 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by camryphili
Remember when Lexus aced the offset test back in 1995

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.a...1&seriesid=519
Actually the LS400 in that photo was a '97 model, which had side airbags unlike the 1995-96 models.. Also, the IS was out in October 2005, so that's already 7 years and if you count safety cell development, about 8-9 years.
Old 08-14-12, 07:29 PM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Volvo did an excellent job on the S60 in terms of both safety and exterior design. now about that interior
It's a win-win with the S60 IMO, I like everything about the car.

Old 08-14-12, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by R1R

Please post more pics of your Volvo. Wow

Lexus response to test

"With this new test, the Institute has raised the bar again and we will respond to this challenge as we design new vehicles," said Brian Lyons, a spokesman for Toyota Motor Sales (TM), USA, which sells Lexus vehicles.

Mercedes-Benz response to test

"As a leader in automotive safety, we have full confidence in the protection that the C-Class affords its occupants -- and less confidence in any test that doesn't reflect that," the German automaker said in a statement.

Hahhahaha, I love Mercedes Epic response.

Old 08-14-12, 07:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by R1R

this is yours!?!?!?!
Old 08-14-12, 07:47 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damnn that is nice S60. Wish i could do something like that to my S80.
And offcourse any company will defend its product. Whether it be Suzuki or Merc

Quick Reply: Official: IIHS launching first new frontal crash test since 1995