Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: IIHS launching first new frontal crash test since 1995

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 11:58 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

They're still as smooth as ever.
I am really liking the back of the new ES a lot, more then GS
Old 09-02-12, 09:42 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I am really liking the back of the new ES a lot, more then GS
I think it's one of the nicest rear ends on the market at any price.
Old 09-03-12, 01:18 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go back on topic........

Although I am not too sure how relevant this new test is, it does expose an area of structural design where manufacturers are not yet consistent. Most of the cars that did well were able to slip past the barrier (check out the Volvo), whereas many of the poor performers crunched entirely into the barrier.

This may encourage designers to structure cars more like the Volvo to ace the test, but is it applicable in real life? That depends on the crash situation.
Old 09-03-12, 02:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
I'm going to go back on topic........

Although I am not too sure how relevant this new test is, it does expose an area of structural design where manufacturers are not yet consistent. Most of the cars that did well were able to slip past the barrier (check out the Volvo), whereas many of the poor performers crunched entirely into the barrier.

This may encourage designers to structure cars more like the Volvo to ace the test, but is it applicable in real life? That depends on the crash situation.
well it is always the same with crash tests - if it was done 10 inches to the side, result would probably be completely different.
Old 10-04-12, 10:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
. For example, it doesn't matter that the exchange rate with the yen and dollar make it more expensive to make Lexus cars in Japan, let's make the new ES actually cheaper than its predecessor. Let's not make the best ES we can make and charge for it accordingly, instead let's build the car to a cost and a price so that we can move as many as possible.
Huh?

Please explain how the new ES is cheaper exactly? Please elaborate on that statement. Cheaper how? In quality, in price, or ....?

Also it sounds like you're not very familiar with the way the auto industry works. If Lexus decided to build the best ES they possibly could, and THEN priced it afterwords, it would basically be an LS or more .

The auto industry does NOT work like that. Engineers cannot simply build the best they can with no limit on what the car price would be. That is ridiculous.

99.9% of cars in the auto industry are built TO A COST. Companies set a certain budget for a new model, and then engineers try to get the most out of that budget. The Japanese are the best in the world at making the most use of a budget. Toyota/Lexus specifically is renowned for utilizing budgets extremely well.

So what Lexus did, and what they always try to do (what most car companies try to do) is they built they best ES they possibly could within their budget.

If they had built the ES to a higher standard and priced it a lot higher, it would conflict with other Lexus models, and would no longer really be an ES. The ES has always been the more affordable, entry-level Lexus comfort sedan. It's still a Lexus, but it doesn't cost as much as an LS or an LX.

Only a rare handful of cars are built without a strict budget in mind. The LFA was one of those cars. Development took 10 years, and they spent as much time and money as they needed to to make it the best car they possibly could. Projects like that however are extremely rare.

Now if you actually want to talk cheap, then you need to go no further than the new 3 Series.