Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fisker Karma's a b****

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Red face Fisker Karma's a b****

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...spontaneously/

Fisker Karma hybrid combusts, spontaneously

In Woodside, Calif., the owner of a Fisker Karma hybrid pops into the grocery store. When she emerges again, her car, ma, has gone south and her Karma is in flames.

Old 08-15-12, 09:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I read somewhere that Fisker had already examined the car and stated the fire originated at the left front wheel...not from the battery.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-15-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 10:07 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this car can now join the exclusive club with Ferrari
Old 08-15-12, 10:19 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

damn that sucks
Old 08-15-12, 12:18 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the statement:

Fisker's inability to catch a break is matched only by its vehicles' worrying reliability record. The company has issued another statement after a parked, thankfully empty Karma EV opted for some self-immolation in a Californian parking lot last Friday. It currently doesn't believe the cause was its (previously recalled) Lithium-ion battery, exhaust routing or electrical components, having learned that the ignition zone was outside the engine compartment, in front of the driver's side front tire. We've got the full text after the break, meanwhile we're considering doing a lot more walking.

"Fisker engineers, working with independent investigators from Pacific Rim Investigative Group, have begun preliminary examination and testing on the Karma involved in a fire in Woodside, California Friday, August 10.

Evidence revealed thus far supports the fact that the ignition source was not the Lithium-ion battery pack, new technology components or unique exhaust routing.

The area of origin for the fire was determined to be outside the engine compartment. There was no damage to the passenger compartment and there were no injuries.

Continued investigative efforts will be primarily focused within the specific area of origin, located forward of the driver's side front tire.

Further details will be announced after a full report is completed."
Old 08-15-12, 05:42 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Didn't Fisker just hire the exec from GM in charge of the Volt?
Old 08-15-12, 06:02 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is so going to hurt the resale value of the car.
Old 08-15-12, 08:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is probably precisely why Toyota is not implementing Li-Ion in their hybrids. This battery technology packs a powerful punch, but can be quite dangerous in a case of any malfunction.
Old 08-15-12, 10:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

not good for the companies rep
Old 08-15-12, 11:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is actually one of two that have gone up in flames recently. Its not a good start. The fact that their demo car broke down while a major magazine was testing it didnt help either.
Old 08-15-12, 11:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
this car can now join the exclusive club with Ferrari
Funny because in AZ Fisker is sold at the Ferrari dealership. They have a tiny little corner of the place. I assume they have good fire insurance
Old 08-16-12, 12:15 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

In the Youtube video, the fireman takes forever to line up the hose and turn it on. I'd be a little pissed if that were my car burning up. Every few seconds destroys more pieces.
Old 08-16-12, 06:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You shouldn't expect a new car to spontaneously ignite. Not without the Zippo option. I can't see how Fisker can duck the responsibility for this, even if the fire originated in the wheel well.

By the time you see flames, practically any car today is a total loss because the wiring, computers, and electrical system is irreparably damaged. Firefighters only concern is to keep the fire from spreading to other cars or structures - it's junk anyway.

What I don't understand is the firefighter standing so close to that wheel that was fully enveloped in flames. From my office window I watched a car pull into our parking lot with an underhood fire. Obviously the owner was moving and had his ancient Chevette piled high with household goods. Although the FD was there quickly, the engine compartment fire had spread to the right front wheel. The firefighters were pumping water on the interior flames, trying to save the owner's possessions. The tire exploded like a grenade just as the water reached it - thankfully the firefighters were well out of the way. Talking to the captain after the fire was out, he told me that you should NEVER stand near a tire that is involved in a fire - even to use a hand extinguisher under the hood. A burning tire can explode with tremendous force and those steel belts and molten rubber can be lethal if you're too close.
Old 08-16-12, 09:34 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Funny because in AZ Fisker is sold at the Ferrari dealership. They have a tiny little corner of the place. I assume they have good fire insurance
Fisker being sold at the Rolls Royce dealership here in Montreal
Old 08-19-12, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

so they seem to acknowledge there's a cooling problem.

DETROIT -- Electric-car maker Fisker Automotive is recalling about 2,400 Karma sports sedans to fix cooling fans that can catch fire.

Quick Reply: Fisker Karma's a b****