Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insurance company defends policy holder's killer to avoid payout

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 01:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Paying out is the least they want to do. They want to hold onto every $ and make it a PITA. Only when that is exhausted and they see it is unavoidable will they deal and as cheaply as possible.
Old 08-22-12, 03:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey140

The laws says, they don't have to pay out, if the driver is deemed responsible. The police report puts the blame on the deceased. Progressive has no incentive to pay out the claim when state law says, if you are 1% at fault, they don't have to pay the claim.

At the end of the day, it's normal insurance bs for a major claim. They take your money but when it is time to payout, they will drag it out as long as possible. It's been settled now so much ado about nothing.

No, I don't work for Progressive nor do I have a policy with them.
i dont think it is normal that they send their attorneys trying to put blame on their insurer so they dont have to pay out... It is settled probably only because of media attention it got.

I doubt all insurance companies are the same just like not all car manufacturers have same warranty policies and how not all dealers treat you the same.
Old 08-22-12, 06:52 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Heh... people screw and fraud insurance all the time. Here in NYC, if you get into an accident, you can walk into ANY bodyshop and they will recommend you to a medical office that will give you cash right away (usually $1500-$2500) to go there for physical therapy so they can bill your insurance for it. Probably tens of thousands. I know tons of people that would have a minor accident, and go for the therapy without having any injuries - just to receive the cash. There are even plenty of fraud cases, where people have staged accidents and then go for therapy. Not to mention that there are plenty of ambulance chasing lawyers that are happy to take your case and sue insurance companies for BS injuries plus pain and suffering.

People screw insurance companies constantly, out of billions of dollars. Why the hell should insurance companies be any different?

The society in the USA is rotten, and this is all its capable to produce.
This has NOTHING to do with this case. What are you suggesting this is payback? Bottom line is each claim is different and a young woman died. Pay the money and move on. They have made it 1000 times worse by simply not paying what they owe. I'm sure they do this to 100s of people each year they just got caught this time by someone that would take a stand.
Old 08-22-12, 06:58 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I find in interesting that most of the people who posted here believe something from the British press and the losing attorney. If fact, Progressive did not pay to defend the defendent's case. Also missing in the "factual" statements from the deceased brother is that at least one of the people in her car testified that she ran the red light, not the SUV driver. It is so easy to trash a company on a forum like this without all the information. No, I don't work for Progressive. In fact, I don't even have Progressive insurance. I just think there should be some degree of fairness and interest in the facts.
Steve
Just google it there are released court records showing progressive helping the defendant. Bottom line if it where not for social media these people would of been screwed.
Old 08-22-12, 07:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
This has NOTHING to do with this case. What are you suggesting this is payback? Bottom line is each claim is different and a young woman died. Pay the money and move on. They have made it 1000 times worse by simply not paying what they owe. I'm sure they do this to 100s of people each year they just got caught this time by someone that would take a stand.
This isn't payback, this is just how this country operates, on every level.
Old 08-22-12, 07:42 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...my-nerves.html

In 2009 I told yall I could not stand FLO!!

Old 08-22-12, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och;7437368

Heh... people screw and fraud insurance all the time.

I know tons of people that would have a minor accident, and go for the therapy without having any injuries - just to receive the cash. There are even plenty of fraud cases, where people have staged accidents and then go for therapy. Not to mention that there are plenty of ambulance chasing lawyers that are happy to take your case and sue insurance companies for BS injuries plus pain and suffering.

People screw insurance companies constantly, out of billions of dollars. Why the hell should insurance companies be any different?
Some excellent points....and I agree. Insurance companies get screwed left and right every day. But two wrongs, though, don't always make a right.
Old 08-22-12, 09:11 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och

For once, you are kinda right. Even though your so anti-america I almost tune you out.
The legal system and how sue happy America is why things like this happen. Insurance companies do have to pay out to so many fraudulent cases that they have to try and save profits at some point. Thats the whole game insurance companies try to get as much possible money from its consumers and pay out as little. Now it just seems by any means necessary.
Is it right, IMO no. But thats probably because Im a little more honest than a few.
Old 08-22-12, 09:20 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read in the blog/article if the family went after the other driver with the same passion criminally. Or did the DA not persue any criminal charges. If the family did not and only was interested in the money? Im not sure but I would hope this not be the case.
Or it is possible the other driver was remorseful and the family accepted that and then Progressive become the evil one for them.
Old 08-22-12, 09:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
I didn't read in the blog/article if the family went after the other driver with the same passion criminally. Or did the DA not persue any criminal charges. If the family did not and only was interested in the money? Im not sure but I would hope this not be the case.
Or it is possible the other driver was remorseful and the family accepted that and then Progressive become the evil one for them.
what does that have to do with anything?
Old 08-22-12, 09:40 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Heh... people screw and fraud insurance all the time. Here in NYC, if you get into an accident, you can walk into ANY bodyshop and they will recommend you to a medical office that will give you cash right away (usually $1500-$2500) to go there for physical therapy so they can bill your insurance for it. Probably tens of thousands. I know tons of people that would have a minor accident, and go for the therapy without having any injuries - just to receive the cash. There are even plenty of fraud cases, where people have staged accidents and then go for therapy. Not to mention that there are plenty of ambulance chasing lawyers that are happy to take your case and sue insurance companies for BS injuries plus pain and suffering.

I agree with 90% of what you said, however the last remark was completely unnecessary, insulting, and patently false. In effect, you pretty much just said that most of the members on this forum are no better than those fraudsters.
Old 08-22-12, 09:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
For once, you are kinda right. Even though your so anti-america I almost tune you out.
The legal system and how sue happy America is why things like this happen. Insurance companies do have to pay out to so many fraudulent cases that they have to try and save profits at some point. Thats the whole game insurance companies try to get as much possible money from its consumers and pay out as little. Now it just seems by any means necessary.
Is it right, IMO no. But thats probably because Im a little more honest than a few.
And the legal system is just the product of supply and demand. All the lawyers didn't fall from the moon, and neither did their clients.
Old 08-22-12, 09:50 AM
coykiam
Driver School Candidate

Insurance companies = crooks = low lives....

*cough * Dont use Uhaul *cough* ....It's BS, just search the web and you'll find tons of info why.
Old 08-22-12, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I agree with 90% of what you said, however the last remark was completely unnecessary, insulting, and patently false. In effect, you pretty much just said that most of the members on this forum are no better than those fraudsters.
While I agree that there could be better ways of phrasing it, in general, Och is correct here. Like it or not, a lot of people do cheat and defraud insurance companies. This can take many forms....even extreme measures such setting their cars on fire and then trying to blame it on arsonists or defects in the vehicle. That's why many insurance companies have fraud-investigators that are especially-trained to spot things like that.

Of course, (and back on the original-topic) that's not necessarily a reason for insurance companies to try and evade legal and legitimate payouts. But, as some posters have noted, though I'm admittedly not a lawyer and don't know all the details, the law in Maryland makes does this an interesting case.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 10:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Just wait till you get a little older, gain some life experience, gain some hands on experience with various aspects of our society - including various insurances, legal system, medical system, banking, taxes, various bureaucracies, corporate culture, etc. We live in a dog eat dog society, where only the most ruthless and corrupt make it, and honest people are left to pick up left overs.

Quick Reply: Insurance company defends policy holder's killer to avoid payout