Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Hyundai Genesis ditches 4.6L V8, gains eight-inch nav and 64GB SSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 10:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2013 Hyundai Genesis ditches 4.6L V8, gains eight-inch nav and 64GB SSD

2013 Hyundai Genesis ditches 4.6L V8, gains eight-inch nav and 64GB SSD

The Hyundai Genesis sedan may have been given a full mid-cycle refresh just last year, but we've now learned that some more changes are in store for the 2013 model. Sure, the car looks exactly the same (because it is), but there are indeed some tweaks both under the hood and inside the cabin.

First and foremost, kiss the 4.6-liter Tau V8 goodbye. Hyundai's first eight-cylinder engine is being discontinued in the Genesis, leaving only the 3.8-liter V6 and 5.0-liter V8. Fine by us – if we're honest, we never saw much need for the 4.6 after that slick new 429-horsepower 5.0 was introduced. That said, Hyundai is also discontinuing the standard 5.0-liter model, meaning you have to option up to the R-Spec trim to get V8 power. All other Genesis sedan models will use the V6.

Hyundai has given its interior tech a bit of a freshening for 2013 by including its Blue Link suite of telematics services and adding an eight-inch display to the center stack with a redesigned version of the joystick multimedia controller (read: the big **** on the center console). The automaker says that the new interface is much more intuitive, and it uses a 64GB solid-state drive (SSD). Most automakers don't tout the type of hard drive used by their infotainment systems, but despite their higher price, solid-state drives are quickly gaining popularity in laptop computers for their durability and speed, and this is the first we've heard of them being used in an automotive infotainment system.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/15/2...nch-nav-and-6/
Old 08-15-12, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

talk about upping the game
Old 08-15-12, 10:56 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good move, people who wants V8s will get the 5.0 anyway.
Old 08-15-12, 10:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This is a good move. Similar to how the Infiniti M35 and M45 became too close in power or the Cadillac STS 3.6 V6 and 4.6L Northstar V8
Old 08-16-12, 06:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
talk about upping the game
How is this upping the game?

There is no more standard V8 model, so if you want one, you have to step up to R-Spec. I know that the V6 is a good one, and plenty powerful, but it seems like Hyundai just neglected the "comfortable large/midsize luxury sedan with a V8" group, forcing people on the V6 or R-Spec with a V8. Killing the 4.6L V8 and replacing it with the 5.0L V8, on all models, would have been upping the game, IMO.

SSD is a nice addition, but I don't see a lot of consumers complaining that the hard drive on their car is going bad? Nice addition none the less.
Old 08-16-12, 06:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Killing the 4.6L V8 and replacing it with the 5.0L V8, on all models, would have been upping the game, IMO.
Old 08-16-12, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

This move makes sense. In a car like the Genesis, there is no need to offer two V8's. Buyers can now just choose if they want a V6 or V8.

Hyundai reduces manufacturing costs in the process.
Old 08-16-12, 07:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hyundai just neglected the "comfortable large/midsize luxury sedan with a V8" group...
This is a very very small market. Hyundai is smart abandoning this market with a sedan that doesn't sell as well as its market competitors.

Most of these "comfortable large/midsize luxury' cars are sold as 6-cylinder variants, and FWD if you can get away with it (like the Lexus ES, Audi A6, and the new Cadillac XTS).

Most V8 variants of these cars are for elitist status symbols; how many 550i or E-Class AMG have I seen, with old Asian ladies driving them 10 miles below the speed limit?!?
Old 08-16-12, 07:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Buyers can now just choose if they want a V6 or V8.
That is the issue - you cannot just choose a V6 or a V8. If you want anything other than an R-Spec, you can not have a V8. In this type of car - big, RWD, luxury features - there is a lot of appeal in a V8. I have seen a lot of the displaced Buick/Cadillac crowd buying Geneses, and those people tend to appreciate 8 cylinders.

I am not saying that this isn't a smart move on Hyundai's behalf. A 333 hp V6 is really more than anyone needs, regardless of the cylinder count. Building the car in this way makes a lot of sense, especially considering the advancements that V6s have made in recent years.

As you note, I see this as more of a way to streamline the manufacturing process, and also as a result of likely low sales of the V8 model. Hyundai is essentially making the Genesis a V6-only car unless you go for the high performance model, similar to how Audi has the A6 with a V6, unless you want to step up to an S6 with a V8.

As a comparison, Lexus dropped the V8 GS for the same reasons that Hyundai is dropping the V8 from the standard car, and most people expect the only way to get a V8 in a GS will be the GS F, if it ever happens. When this happened, everyone complained (myself included) that Lexus went soft and neglected the V8 market. Now, Hyundai is doing the same thing, so how is that upping the game?
Old 08-16-12, 07:44 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Nice upgrade
Old 08-16-12, 07:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is the issue - you cannot just choose a V6 or a V8. If you want anything other than an R-Spec, you can not have a V8.
honestly I think its a good move --- I just built a Genesis on the Hyundai site....and there's only $1000 difference between the 5.0 and the 5.0 R-Spec....so might as well streamline with the 5.0 R-Spec only.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Hyundai Genesis ditches 4.6L V8, gains eight-inch nav and 64GB SSD-gensis.png  
Old 08-16-12, 08:23 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Unless they change some other things, I see this as a bad move. Currently with the 5.0 (either regular or R-Spec), you can only get three colors: Black, grey, or Silver., all with black leather Opting for the 3.8 or 4.6 gives you seven choices, adding white, blue, red, and beige to the options list, which can be paired with black, brown, or beige leather. Unless they expand the color choices on the R-Spec, I think they just shot themselves in the foot. Beige one could argue doesn't belong on a "sport sedan", but the metallic red and blue as well as the white should be available.
Old 08-16-12, 08:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Unless they change some other things, I see this as a bad move. Currently with the 5.0 (either regular or R-Spec), you can only get three colors: Black, grey, or Silver., all with black leather Opting for the 3.8 or 4.6 gives you seven choices, adding white, blue, red, and beige to the options list, which can be paired with black, brown, or beige leather. Unless they expand the color choices on the R-Spec, I think they just shot themselves in the foot. Beige one could argue doesn't belong on a "sport sedan", but the metallic red and blue as well as the white should be available.
This is my thought as well. R Spec is a sport sedan - no wood trim, bigger wheels, sport tuned suspension, harsher ride, limited color selection, etc. The whole idea of a V8 "luxury" Genesis is now gone with this model change.

Again - not saying that it's a bad idea considering how strong the V6 is + slow sales of the V8 model. My original point was this idea that Hyundai is "upping the game" when the reality is that they just cut one whole model out of the Genesis lineup.
Old 08-16-12, 08:48 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the issue - you cannot just choose a V6 or a V8. If you want anything other than an R-Spec, you can not have a V8. In this type of car - big, RWD, luxury features - there is a lot of appeal in a V8. I have seen a lot of the displaced Buick/Cadillac crowd buying Geneses, and those people tend to appreciate 8 cylinders.

I am not saying that this isn't a smart move on Hyundai's behalf. A 333 hp V6 is really more than anyone needs, regardless of the cylinder count. Building the car in this way makes a lot of sense, especially considering the advancements that V6s have made in recent years.

As you note, I see this as more of a way to streamline the manufacturing process, and also as a result of likely low sales of the V8 model. Hyundai is essentially making the Genesis a V6-only car unless you go for the high performance model, similar to how Audi has the A6 with a V6, unless you want to step up to an S6 with a V8.

As a comparison, Lexus dropped the V8 GS for the same reasons that Hyundai is dropping the V8 from the standard car, and most people expect the only way to get a V8 in a GS will be the GS F, if it ever happens. When this happened, everyone complained (myself included) that Lexus went soft and neglected the V8 market. Now, Hyundai is doing the same thing, so how is that upping the game?
They did this because the majority of people opting for the V8 Genesis were getting the R-spec. Also let it be known that the Genesis has the higest take rate ratio among the midsize luxury category so that was not the reason for dropping the 4.6 and regular 5.0. Hyundai isn't abandoning this segment they are simply cutting all models that don't sell(that includes base versions of their regular cars as well)
Old 08-16-12, 09:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Also let it be known that the Genesis has the higest take rate ratio among the midsize luxury category ....
Can you please elaborate on this? What do you mean by "take rate"? Do you have a breakout of sales between the sedan and the coupe? Also, what does Hyundai consider to be the Genesis' competitive set?

Answers to these questions will help to put this into perspective.

Thanks .

Quick Reply: 2013 Hyundai Genesis ditches 4.6L V8, gains eight-inch nav and 64GB SSD