Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on the Subaru WRX STi wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

As a car buyer I hate it when I dont have the best. It would bother me if an STI pulled up next to my WRX
Old 08-20-12, 01:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As a car buyer I hate it when I dont have the best. It would bother me if an STI pulled up next to my WRX

I would laugh....because he paid $10+K more for a car that's 95% the same.
Old 08-20-12, 04:12 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I would laugh....because he paid $10+K more for a car that's 95% the same.
Not to mention slower out the gate. The STi weighs an additional 300lbs as well. Unless you're tracking the car, all those other options are useless 99% of the time. You could easily take $5-6k and upgrade the car for superior performance, minus the over-priced Brembo brakes (again, only useful if tracking the car.)
Old 08-20-12, 04:52 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

This is kinda like a 335is or M-Sport with mods vs an M3. Yeah you can mod the regular model to more power easily, but the M3 is still way more car. There's a whole lot more to it than the power. If it's just power you're after, yeah buy the WRX and mod it a little.
Old 08-20-12, 05:05 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't get an STi if comfort is even a remote consideration. Its ride and noise-level is not quite as punishing as that in Evos (particularly last-generation Evos), but still plenty uncomfortable.

Having said that, if you want a classic rally-type car, have a relatively smooth surface to drive it on, don't mind the noise and what insurance premiums might cost for it (especially if you're young single male), then go for it.....Evos and STIs can be a blast to drive. For winter, though, if you get slippery roads, you might need winter or all-season tires even with the Subaru/Mitsubishi AWD systems. The standard rubber on these cars, despite Subaru's traditional winter-marketing, is primarily meant for dry roads.
Luxury is NOT a consideration for this car. I want something sporty but with sufficient utility that I can take it on a mountain road during the winter. Oh and yes, I would like to track it. I had already ruled out the Evo because of the hard ride that you mentioned and I'm not partial to the looks of it.

If I do decide to get a STi, it will be the base version with the only options being the auto dimming mirror and short shifter. I figure the money saved by passing on the Limited can be applied to another set of wheels so that I can have a summer and winter set of tires.

Last edited by cal_alum98; 08-20-12 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 05:08 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
isnt next gen WRX/STi coming next year?
Any idea what the next generation will have? I figure there's always something over the horizon and I can afford to wait if it's worth waiting, though I like the current incarnation.
Old 08-20-12, 05:15 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The STI will always be the top. I have driven a few and I love them. They are just as fast as the EVOs with a bit more oversteer under hard cornering but the torque delivery on the STI is a bit more usable than that of the EVO. Its an amazing car at an amazing price. I agree, you should try to low ball them on the STI
Is invoice considered low enough? Honestly, I'm one of those that hate bargaining and grinding out a deal. My Chinese relatives would be so ashamed.
Old 08-20-12, 06:41 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was close to getting one but their engines develop ringland problem which no one can really speculate why, only endless discussion on the forums. For close to 40k out the door, I crossed this off my list..
Old 08-20-12, 11:50 PM
shoehead
Driver

I currently have an 07 sti.
IMO. As much as I LOVE my subie,,,,
I would never pay above $30000 for one, even for the newer ones.
Insurance wise last time i checked the 2011 sti and wrx werethe same price, at least for me. The evo on the other hand was much more expensive, again for me.
The hatch is very very practical.
The interior is pretty much the same as a base impreza, so really nothing special in that dept
Not good on gas. I avg 18mpg with a stg 2 tune, my friends with 2011 wrx/stis get about 18-22 ish.
Stg 2 is recommended. lol (cheap power and supposedly if tuned right more reliable, not as prone to ringland issues)
I have yet to have any problems with my sti, still strong w/ 75k miles.
As for snow...i have a set of blizzaks for the winters and it makes all the difference. Have yet to get stuck, even plowing through 1 ft of fresh pow.
In the years ive had the sti i only touch the dccd controls a handful of times. Most my friends dont even touch the si drive.
wrx and sti are pretty much the same car in the everyday situation.
Would i take a wrx over a sti, if i had the option???.....no...i dont know why.
Some can justify the price and some cant. Its a personal decision and really it comes down to is it worth it for you and will you be happy. All I can say is, my sti never fails to put a smile on my face!!
GL with your choice.
Old 08-21-12, 07:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Not to mention slower out the gate. The STi weighs an additional 300lbs as well. Unless you're tracking the car, all those other options are useless 99% of the time. You could easily take $5-6k and upgrade the car for superior performance, minus the over-priced Brembo brakes (again, only useful if tracking the car.)
subaru website is showing around 150 lbs more. I hadnt realized that the WRX is 265 hp now, always thought it was still 225. Yea 10k more is not worth the premium anymore.
Old 08-21-12, 11:34 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
Any idea what the next generation will have? I figure there's always something over the horizon and I can afford to wait if it's worth waiting, though I like the current incarnation.
Subaru itself doesnt even know what they are going to do with next gen WRX/STI, they were supposed to change it for 2013, yet they didn't. The 2013 is exactly the same as the 2012. Also, I would not spend any money on Subaru's OEM shortshifter as it's exactly the same as the STI, you will not notice any difference at all.