Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 01:36 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
the upper range of 370Z

imo 50k is still too high. that's lexus RC territory. im more comfortable with under 40k...
A 50-60k Supra that is a ***** to the wall performance version of the RC-F would be ideal
Old 12-13-13, 03:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

new Supra needs to be less than 35k for base car... not a lot more.

$50k base and it will be discontinued like old Supra.
Old 12-13-13, 05:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
new Supra needs to be less than 35k for base car... not a lot more.

$50k base and it will be discontinued like old Supra.
A FRS is 28k, a Supra will certainly cost more than 35k.

It will be interesting to see positioning... Against the 370Z or against the GTR and NSX...

Will it be back to basics like the FRS or some high tech hybrid?

Old 12-13-13, 05:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexFather

It will be interesting to see positioning... Against the 370Z or against the GTR and NSX...

FRS is $25k incl. delivery fees.

370Z is $31k.
Old 12-13-13, 08:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo 50k is still too high. that's lexus RC territory. im more comfortable with under 40k...
Maybe a base model can be priced in the $40k price range and have a high performance trim level at $50k. I don't think that would be too bad. And seeing how the R36 hybrid and NSX hybrid will be $100k+ cars Toyota could under cut them both by half.
Old 12-13-13, 08:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
If it looks mostly like the MK1-3 then it does look like the early first 2 generations of the Celica-Supra years which were not good looking cars nor were they all out performance sports cars. The Mark IV is the Supra with by far the best styling and performance and what people are looking forward too, I don't see any Mark IV or really even Mark 3 in that FT-HS concept which I find extremely ugly and homely and too squashed looking. It looks more like a fwd cheap compact Celica replacement then a Mark IV sexy long curvy low all out sports car replacement. I would much rather they style a new Supra after the Mark IV and LF-LC then the old Mark 1-2 Celica-Supra, if it looks like that concept FT-HS concept it will be a huge step back and is not going to be well received.
Seems like you got what you wished for

Old 12-13-13, 09:00 AM
madfast
Driver

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Maybe a base model can be priced in the $40k price range and have a high performance trim level at $50k. I don't think that would be too bad. And seeing how the R36 hybrid and NSX hybrid will be $100k+ cars Toyota could under cut them both by half.
the ONLY fact that we know is that this car is slotted above the FRS. GTR/NSX competitor? is this based on any facts or just people's hopes? and isnt the LF-LC going to be the competitor for these cars?

i stand by my guess: a larger FRS with a turbo 4 and KERS style hybrid system for $35k- under $40k. this will be a 370Z/STI competitor. any segment higher than this is a TOUGH sell imo. its not as if the 370Z is a hot seller as is, going any higher would be a recipe for failure....
Old 12-13-13, 09:19 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

the ONLY fact that we know is that this car is slotted above the FRS. GTR/NSX competitor? is this based on any facts or just people's hopes? and isnt the LF-LC going to be the competitor for these cars?

i stand by my guess: a larger FRS with a turbo 4 and KERS style hybrid system for $35k- under $40k. this will be a 370Z/STI competitor. any segment higher than this is a TOUGH sell imo. its not as if the 370Z is a hot seller as is, going any higher would be a recipe for failure....
Well its just a fact that the Supra, NSX, and GT-R are competitors.

Who says anything about going after the Z? Toyota may want to complete with the Corvette in the same way that the MK4 did.

Also, how can it be a larger FR-S when the BMW/Toyota press release confirmed that the joint midsize coupe project will be built on a brand new co-develop platform.

No the LF-LC I think will go after cars like the S-Class coupe. Lexus official have said it may be built on the next gen LS platform.
Old 12-13-13, 09:29 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

LF-LC competitors? Maybe any of the following luxury grand touring (2+2).

Aston Martin DB9, Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari California, Mercedes-Benz S-class coupe, Porsche 911 Turbo, Rolls-Royce Wraith.
Old 12-13-13, 09:53 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just guessing on pricing, but back in 2006 with the FT-HS concept, Toyota told Edmunds.com Inside Line that a "desired starting price for such a vehicle is stated to be in the mid $30,000 range."

Given the rate of inflation ($35k in 2006) that would be about $40k today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FT-HS

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
Old 12-13-13, 10:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I'm just guessing on pricing, but back in 2006 with the FT-HS concept, Toyota told Edmunds.com Inside Line that a "desired starting price for such a vehicle is stated to be in the mid $30,000 range."

Given the rate of inflation ($35k in 2006) that would be about $40k today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FT-HS

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
It is still going to be $35k, just like 3IS isnt 50k base now.
Old 12-13-13, 10:15 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is still going to be $35k, just like 3IS isnt 50k base now.
Yeah they also said the goal of the FR-S was low $20s, but surprise surprise; when it hit showrooms it was $25.2k ($26.4k auto). Point is, cost may go up due to unforeseeable and unexpected events.
Old 12-13-13, 12:03 PM
madfast
Driver

Well its just a fact that the Supra, NSX, and GT-R are competitors.
they were... who knows what direction they'll head now... and really this car is a spiritual successor to the supra if anything, and not a de facto successor...

Who says anything about going after the Z? Toyota may want to complete with the Corvette in the same way that the MK4 did.
its just a guess on my part. it makes sense. having such a large gap between the FRS and this coupe would not be wise.

Also, how can it be a larger FR-S when the BMW/Toyota press release confirmed that the joint midsize coupe project will be built on a brand new co-develop platform.
perhaps i was unclear, i meant in terms of size, not sharing a chassis.

No the LF-LC I think will go after cars like the S-Class coupe. Lexus official have said it may be built on the next gen LS platform.
high performance HYBRID luxury coupe. it makes sense to go up against the NSX hybrid and next gen GTR hybrid...
Old 12-13-13, 12:16 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

they were... who knows what direction they'll head now... and really this car is a spiritual successor to the supra if anything, and not a de facto successor...

its just a guess on my part. it makes sense. having such a large gap between the FRS and this coupe would not be wise.

perhaps i was unclear, i meant in terms of size, not sharing a chassis.

high performance HYBRID luxury coupe. it makes sense to go up against the NSX hybrid and next gen GTR hybrid...
GM does it with the $23,555 Camaro and the $51,000 Corvette.

I think the word you are looking for is platform and not chassis.

A non-hybrid LF-LC is also reported.

And how do we know that none of the cars that were listed by caranddriver won't be offered in a hybrid trim in the future?

The hybrid NSX, hybrid R36, and hybrid LF-LC is still years away.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 12-13-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 12:28 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather

Agreed, I'm thinking at least $40k. And maybe not a $100k super car like the GT-R and NSX. But perhaps a $40k-$50k C7 competitor.

Nissan says the next Z (Z35) will be smaller and lighter and may get a 4 cycle. Sounds like its actually going down market to complete with the FR-S/86/BRZ.

Quick Reply: Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model