Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 09:56 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang

http://www.stangtv.com/news/ford-con...-2015-mustang/

Ford has finally let the proverbial cat out of the bag, confirming what most Mustang enthusiasts and automotive journalists already knew; the 2015 Mustang is getting a 2.0 liter, EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine. Additionally, the next Mustang will get an independent rear-suspension, and a new small-displacement, high-powered V6 engine called “Project Nano.”

This all comes via Automotive News via an unnamed executive at Ford Motor Company. It also confirms what we already knew when Ford first introduced its now-popular EcoBoost engines. The Mustang is going world class, and it has to to survive.

The Automotive News report also confirms that the looks of the next-gen Mustang will be a big departure from the current styling, though perhaps not as radical as we’ve been hearing. Of course, getting an official, on-the-record statement would be better, but Bill Ford Jr. and other executives have already let on what the Blue Oval is planning. After all, it only makes sense.

Under CEO Alan Mulally’s “One Ford” plan, there will be a lot more platform sharing between the various markets Ford sells cars in. The Mustang is definitely going to Europe, and may head over to Asia as well. Hence the smaller motor and independent rear-suspension, which will better appeal to European sensibilities. The report also mentions a small-displacement, high-output V6…but no mention of a V8 engine.

That said, it is hard to imagine Ford not offering a V8 in the Mustang after the Mustang II debacle in 1974 (which still sold like hotcakes, by the way). More likely than not, the 5.0 V8 will also soldier on, though perhaps in a more premium capacity.

There is a lot to rejoice about in this announcement…and a few things to keep an eye on as well.
Old 08-27-12, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

yup, govt regs will make v8 rarer and rarer... ford has no choice.
Old 08-27-12, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This generation will still have a V8. I'm not worried.
Old 08-27-12, 10:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, govt regs will make v8 rarer and rarer... ford has no choice.
I have no problem with a 6 cylinder GT.......

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/specifications.html
http://www.porsche.com/international...turesandspecs/

even the Hyundai Genesis coupe has a 348hp 6....

Last edited by bagwell; 08-27-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-27-12, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

IRS is not totally new for the Mustang, but, in the past, was limited to certain Cobra/SVT/Shelby versions, not GTs or V6s.
Old 08-27-12, 10:49 AM
LexFather

It will still offer a V-8 and everyone is moving to powerful less cylinder cars. The world is not ending

Old 08-27-12, 11:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again; "performance cars will continue to get faster and faster and faster, well into the future, government regulations be damned"

As long as manufacturers continue to build "enough" econo-boxes, they will have free reign to "play" with some serious performance machines.
Old 08-27-12, 11:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's progress.

Evolution.

Survival of the fittest.

It's only "Size Queens" that care about more cylinders and such...
Old 08-27-12, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's progress.

Evolution.

Survival of the fittest.

It's only "Size Queens" that care about more cylinders and such...
I don't think it's that, but rather the nostalgia that comes along with owning a muscle car. With the switch to IRS and a lighter platform, the line between Muscle and Sport car is becoming very thin. Purists may loathe this others may praise.

For me personally having a V8 rather than a V6 in the next mustang won't be about "size queens" but rather the soundtrack.

In fact should it debut soon I'll consider replacing my Lexus and Explorer with a new Stang and either an Escape or Focus depending on my needs. It's nice to have a fun car and a practical car
Old 08-27-12, 05:45 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

You all know what happened when the Japanese govt put restrictions on large displacement engines. Right?

We got high revving turbocharged small engines.

Long live the engineers!
Old 08-27-12, 06:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
You all know what happened when the Japanese govt put restrictions on large displacement engines. Right?

We got high revving turbocharged small engines.

Long live the engineers!
i grew up in europe, so i'm quite familiar with 'screaming' turbo 4-bangers, going waaaay back. but they're NOTHING, absolutely nothing, like a v8 in smoothness, low end torque, refinement, etc.

the engineers will focus on what they're told to focus on, and will continue to innovate, at the point of a government gun.
Old 08-27-12, 07:36 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

My point is that engineers perform best under constraints, be it govt or management.

Look at Honda 4 bangers. Nothing like v8, but hey...
Old 08-28-12, 01:44 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It will still offer a V-8 and everyone is moving to powerful less cylinder cars. The world is not ending
Hehe perhaps

But going to less cylinder engines means that it won't have the sound or refinement of the previous. This is the same thing that many BMW purists have complained when the M5 shifted from Naturally-aspirated V10 to twin-turbo V8.

Now I realize the point in what 'gengar' said.

If you ask me, I'm fine with any. It's just that with regulation further intensified, the amount of 'downsizing' may be a bit too much. We'll just have to wait-and-see.

The upcoming M3 will now use a forced induction six cylinder versus the current NA V8. There are also rumors that the new and upcoming ISF *might* use twin turbo V6 compared to the current NA V8 setup (although Toyota has more experience with superchargers though).

What do you guys think?
Old 08-28-12, 05:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I say plug your ipod and listen to your choice of engine soundtrack.
Old 08-28-12, 10:03 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hehe perhaps

But going to less cylinder engines means that it won't have the sound or refinement of the previous. This is the same thing that many BMW purists have complained when the M5 shifted from Naturally-aspirated V10 to twin-turbo V8.

Now I realize the point in what 'gengar' said.

If you ask me, I'm fine with any. It's just that with regulation further intensified, the amount of 'downsizing' may be a bit too much. We'll just have to wait-and-see.

The upcoming M3 will now use a forced induction six cylinder versus the current NA V8. There are also rumors that the new and upcoming ISF *might* use twin turbo V6 compared to the current NA V8 setup (although Toyota has more experience with superchargers though).

What do you guys think?
The M3 did not inherently had a V8 though. The point is the Mustang has first and foremost been a muscle car/pony car. Like I mentioned above, its the nostalgia of owning a V8 muscle car that matters. Adding a range of EcoBoost 4 and 6's is not a bad thing, but the GT or at least the Boss/GT500 must remain 8 cylinder otherwise the end of muscle cars will be within sight. Chevy and Dodge will follow suit shortly after if the V8 died. The line is getting thinner between Sports car and Muscle car, which isn't a bad thing due to better drive dynamics, fuel economy, and lighter platforms, but the loss of the V8 and it's soundtrack is unacceptable. Smaller engines such as the 3.7L NA V6 have shown us we can have power and efficiency 305hp and 31mpg hwy vs say the 5.0L NA V8 which for 420hp and 26mpg hwy ain't that bad in it's own. Long live the V8

Originally Posted by chikoo
I say plug your ipod and listen to your choice of engine soundtrack.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-28-12 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang