Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 02:39 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a bit of an extended test drive (the wife is looking at it) in one of these and got just over 52 MPG during the test drive. I didn't hammer it but rather just kept up with traffic taking it easy. It's a surprisingly nice car inside and rode and handled really well. Much more to my liking than the current alternatives.
Old 10-16-12, 08:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Took a bit of an extended test drive (the wife is looking at it) in one of these and got just over 52 MPG during the test drive. I didn't hammer it but rather just kept up with traffic taking it easy. It's a surprisingly nice car inside and rode and handled really well. Much more to my liking than the current alternatives.
there are few new owners on priuschat, unfortunately getting 35 mpg over 2000+ miles, both had been long term Prius owners before and got around 50's mpg...

did you drive it on highway or city/back roads?
Old 10-17-12, 06:29 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
there are few new owners on priuschat, unfortunately getting 35 mpg over 2000+ miles, both had been long term Prius owners before and got around 50's mpg...

did you drive it on highway or city/back roads?
It was a suburban environment. Some 35, 40 MPH and then some stop and go as well. It's strange. I used to have a handle on what I could expect from different cars. My latest exactly hits the EPA numbers and will only grudgingly do better. Guess I really need to drive more cars to see if it's a manufacturer thing or what so that I can recalibrate my expectations.
Old 10-17-12, 07:56 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ford's continuing quality problems with newly-launched vehicles would give me concerns. It may be worth considering in a couple years if it proves reliable.

BTW, one plus of the Prius' center instrument display is that no matter where I adjust my steering column, the wheel doesn't obstruct the instruments.

There are two things that baffle persons who are new to driving my Prius:

- The little blue shifter, it's set-and-release positions, & the park button.

- The feeling of brake failure when stopping on rough pavement and regenerative braking cuts out to preserve the electric motors and there is a delay before friction braking takes over.
Old 10-28-12, 02:54 PM
darrelld
Driver

it is similar to old Fusion that got up to 5 mpg more in EPA, but nobody in the world got better real life than in Camry... this is why many people that follow hybrids were waiting for first reviews.

You can actually optimize EV motor use to do better in EPA test, but as we can see, that doesnt work in real life.
I am averaging 44 so far in mine;

Old 10-28-12, 03:00 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darrelld
I am averaging 44 so far in mine;

Must be something wrong with yours. You're supposed to say how poorly it does!

FWIW from Fuelly it looks like most are averaging around 40 with one in the mid 50's. The latter is doing more city driving AFAICT. Should be interesting to see how these pan out.
Old 10-28-12, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

FWIW from Fuelly it looks like most are averaging around 40 with one in the mid 50's. The latter is doing more city driving AFAICT. Should be interesting to see how these pan out.
it is all about how it does compared to other cars... and on priuschat you have many hybrid owners, some of them with new c-max...

here is one of them

rkk
For what it's worth I have had my C-MAX for almost 3 weeks now. I have just over 2000 miles on it. So far I have an indicated 43.3 mpg but actual is about 42. It was starting to get better but it is has turned colder. I took a trip on the freeway today and when I got off my C-MAX indicated 38.1 mpg for that leg. I later took that same trip in my HCHII and it was 45.3 mpg indicated. The C-MAX computer has been a bit optimistic so it was probably closer to 37 actual. The Civic has been a little low so it was probably closer to 46. It was a few degrees warmer when I drove the Civic. My whole trip which included some city driving ended up at 43.3 on the C-MAX and 45.2 on the Civic. The best day I have in the C-MAX so far was an indicated 45.3 mpg but I have had trips of 49-50.

So for real life for me anyway the 47 mpg C-MAX doesn't look like it will do as well as the 42 mpg combined(after the 2008 EPA adjustment) Civic. Of course, the C-MAX is still "breaking in". Those are Fords words but who knows, it might get a little better. Most of my driving though is highway. If it was the other way around the C-MAX would probably be doing better.
so Civic Hybrid that should get 5 MPG less, gets 2-5 MPG more, same driver, same roads. So getting 40 MPG in car xx is cool, but if same driver would get 50 MPG in car xxx, not that cool, right?

On my Prius i averaged 48 MPG... on my diesel i could get 40 MPG on some test routes, but I average 26 MPG. On my Prius I could get 70 MPG if I babied it.

So statistics is a game of numbers, that can be shown either way... most important part is that people who own these cars are satisfied with their numbers. On PC, we had 2 owners who owned other hybrids chime in, and both are getting lower than expected numbers and then we have 5-6 other members trying to convince them there is a mistake somewhere and it is not Ford inflating the numbers :-).

I would guess if you are moving from something that got you 20's before and are getting 40's now, you will be very happy. But If you used to get 50 in Prius and get 40 in C-Max, you might not be that happy at all.
Old 10-28-12, 05:28 PM
darrelld
Driver

I have not really tried to maximize fuel economy. Take off and usually leave other traffic at the light. I am one of those that does not believe in babying during the breakin period. Taking an 600 mile road trip in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to check the highway mileage.

Green Car Reports managed right at 40mpg cruising at 75mph and I will try to duplicate that effort since my trip will be on 75mph speed limit highways.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...s-mileage-test

Since the TDI Jetta I traded for my C-Max would only get 38 at those speed on diesel (now costing .50 more per gallon) I will be very happy.
Old 10-28-12, 05:32 PM
darrelld
Driver

it is all about how it does compared to other cars... and on priuschat you have many hybrid owners, some of them with new c-max...

here is one of them

so Civic Hybrid that should get 5 MPG less, gets 2-5 MPG more, same driver, same roads. So getting 40 MPG in car xx is cool, but if same driver would get 50 MPG in car xxx, not that cool, right?

On my Prius i averaged 48 MPG... on my diesel i could get 40 MPG on some test routes, but I average 26 MPG. On my Prius I could get 70 MPG if I babied it.

So statistics is a game of numbers, that can be shown either way... most important part is that people who own these cars are satisfied with their numbers. On PC, we had 2 owners who owned other hybrids chime in, and both are getting lower than expected numbers and then we have 5-6 other members trying to convince them there is a mistake somewhere and it is not Ford inflating the numbers :-).

I would guess if you are moving from something that got you 20's before and are getting 40's now, you will be very happy. But If you used to get 50 in Prius and get 40 in C-Max, you might not be that happy at all.
I have seen the Prius comparisons but they don't really make sense. The C-Max is in a diffferent EPA size class than a Prius. Same with the Civic, why would you compare 2 different EPA size class vehicles for equivalent fuel economy?