Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Buick Encore snags 25 mpg city, 33 mpg highway EPA ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ that's cadillac's job.
..........and, on that subject, notice the significant difference in size and drivetrain between Cadillac's smallest SUV (the SRX), and the diminutive Encore. That's why I said earlier that, even with the Encore's nice interior and Buick's Quiet Tuning, it's too short and the engine is too small.
Old 12-10-12, 08:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This is meant to be more of a city dweller than a kid hauler
Old 12-11-12, 07:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ that's cadillac's job.
smh....I start the sentence with "I had hoped"...:The point is when the Enclave and Lacrosse launched they seemed to be on a possible route to move up but with the Regal, Verano, Encore they clearly thought otherwise.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to firmly disagree. The Verano is just about as upscale as a compact car of that class can get....especially for a 23-28K price. I think that, overall, it drives as good or better than the new 2013 Lexus ES350....
I stopped reading there.....

Old 12-11-12, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint

I stopped reading there.....

Several years ago, you didn't believe Hyundai or Kia could build a decent vehicle either, until you went out and saw for yourself. Sometimes driving is believing, not reading.

If you drive a Verano (The new turbo model will also be debuting) and still disagree, Well, then, I will just respect the fact that you and I can (and sometimes do) have differences of opinion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 10:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder in these discussions, but CR gave the Verano 73 points in their Road Test (the Acura ILX got 77). By comparision the new ES350 and 300h got 80 and 82 points. The previous gen ES350 got 91 points!
Old 12-11-12, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder in these discussions, but CR gave the Verano 73 points in their Road Test (the Acura ILX got 77).
I read that article (I am a CR subscriber). I agree with most of it....not all.

CR, IMO, is not biased in the sense that most people would use the word (if they were, I wouldn't read them), but they have always been very supportive of Honda/Acura products, though they did comment on the ILX's significant road-noise and lumpy ride-quality (as I did in my own ILX review last summer). It was an interesting comparison of both cars...and a generally good write-up.

By comparision the new ES350 and 300h got 80 and 82 points. The previous gen ES350 got 91 points!
The 4-Gen ES, I thought, was even better than the previous 5Gen.....though, back then, I don't think CR was using a numerical road-test scale. Looking back, I almost wish I had bought a 4Gen model when new ones were available...but, at the time, I wanted AWD.

CR generally (still) gave the new 6Gen ES good marks, but, closely paralleling the opinions I myself had with my recent 5Gen ES review, remarked (correctly) that the ride quality and general level of refinement had fallen slightly. Their remarks on the Verano also closely approximated my own experience with it, stating that the car's tomb-quietness was its chief asset. The Verano's ride over bumps, though, while not necessarily harsh, was not as supple as the ES, with its higher-profile tires. But they did criticize the ride of the upmarket ES package with its 45-series tires. Of course, the ES has a long-established record of better-then-average reliability, where recent Buicks are either average or a little below. And I agree that the Verano, being smaller than the ES, is tighter inside. The one thing that I thought CR missed on the Verano, though, was its durable-feeling interior and hardware.....it didn't show the same plastickiness and lightweight-feel of its sister Enclave and Lacrosse, probably because the Verano is not American-designed. It is strongly derived from the European Opel Astra (the dash/doors are almost identical), and gets its tomb-quietness from many Buick-added pounds of sound-insulaton.....that is why I made my earlier comment about (IMO) it being as good as the new ES in some areas. It also, IMO, handles as well or better than the ES. Of course, people are free to disagree. But also, please understand that I'm not trying to pump up or brag about the Verano simply because I own one. I bought a Verano because I personally was very impressed with what it offered for the price. I don't have to try and sell it to others.....I myself am impressed wth it. But I do think that those who criticize it should at least sample it first.

The previous gen ES350 got 91 points!
This refers, of course, to the 5Gen model. Using that rating-scale (which I don't think CR had back then) the 4Gen model would have (probably) have gotten around 94 or 95). The 4Gen's only real fault seemed to be some electronic quirks in the drive-by-wire throttle and transmission ECU....and those only affected some samples, and didn't really subtract from its overall road-test.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Encore. Apparantly, it is already on sale in China.

http://wardsauto.com/auto-makers/gm-...core-cuv-china

By American-SUV standards (and by my own taste), the Encore may be too short and stubby. But, given China's enormous population and tightly-packed cities, that small size could be an asset.....as Hoovey pointed out earlier, it seems to be a city-dweller.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-12 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 10:57 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
The 1.4T in my wife's cruze is just adequate. In an SUV with AWD, it will just be slow. Expect a 9 second car.
Well, for a little perspective, remember that 10-12 years ago the RX 300 barely managed to duck under the 9 second barrier. Thirty and forty years ago, very few cars were capable of this - thus the rise of the purpose-built muscle cars that rose out of Detroit's parts bins.

You can't expect ANY car to be simultaneously quick, powerful, luxurious, stylish, affordable, lightweight, capable of hauling a family of five and all their luggage. In addition to being economical to operate, both on the highway and in urban traffic, while reasonable looking; it's difficult to fit all of this wish list in under a $28K price cap. Somewhere we have to make compromises, and it looks like Buick's made a good one - hitting several, if not all of the marks while leaving a market for both Chevy and Cadillac below and above its price class.
Old 12-12-12, 12:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What really irritated me about that review is they didn't mention anything about back seat space or luggage space. You'd think they had gone into good detail about that since the Encore is significantly smaller than its competition.
Old 12-12-12, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What really irritated me about that review is they didn't mention anything about back seat space or luggage space. You'd think they had gone into good detail about that since the Encore is significantly smaller than its competition.
indeed... i think it will sell poorly in the USA because of that.
Old 12-12-12, 01:48 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

This is basically a Honda Fit competitor! It may have lots of sound proofing and a lot of fake wood trim, but it is still very small. GM has managed to sell a number of Veranos which is a Chevy Cruze with a fancy interior and sound proofing, so maybe they can sell this thing too. The Chevy Sonic that this is based on got a very poor score at Consumer Reports, let's see how much they value the luxe add-ons. They did not like the Verano, so my bet is that they won't like the Encore either.

Honda is bringing a mini-SUV to Detroit. Most believe it is a 4WD Fit so we may see some competition in this class.
Steve
Old 12-12-12, 01:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
This is basically a Honda Fit competitor! It may have lots of sound proofing and a lot of fake wood trim, but it is still very small. GM has managed to sell a number of Veranos which is a Chevy Cruze with a fancy interior and sound proofing, so maybe they can sell this thing too. The Chevy Sonic that this is based on got a very poor score at Consumer Reports, let's see how much they value the luxe add-ons. They did not like the Verano, so my bet is that they won't like the Encore either.

Honda is bringing a mini-SUV to Detroit. Most believe it is a 4WD Fit so we may see some competition in this class.
Steve
Oh boy, I wonder if we'll see a return to the 80's Retro "high top shoe" styling that came with 4wd compact wagons.

Old 12-12-12, 04:03 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the rear door handle almost reaches the tail light!
Old 12-13-12, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Lol...good point

Old 12-13-12, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
GM has managed to sell a number of Veranos which is a Chevy Cruze with a fancy interior and sound proofing, so maybe they can sell this thing too.
Wrong. The Verano is NOT a rebadged Cruze. It has a completely different engine, a more refined 6-speed transmission, more plush interior, better-quality trim/hardware, a different suspension, and vastly better soundproofing. If it WAS a rebadged Cruze, I would not have bought one....or even considered one. It is actually closer to an Americanized Opel Astra sedan than a Cruise...but has notable differences from the Astra, too.

It took GM a long time to learn this lesson, but they have learned, since the bankrupcy/restructuring, that their old practices just won't work any more.

A far as selling the Encore, I don't think it will do particularly well in America. The platform and engine are both too small for the Buick nameplate. The platform is actually smaller than the Verano's. In China, though, anything with a Buick nameplate on it goes like free beer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-12 at 11:44 AM.