Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Autoline" interview with 2013 Avalon Chief Engineer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 11:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the video, I see now what you were talking about. That is very strange indeed, and I hope Toyota looks into this then. Very strange Toyota didn't catch this in testing.
Old 09-04-12, 11:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the camry may be popular among sheeple, but looks cheap, and now (thanks chikoo) it shows.
No need to generalize and create a potential argument . According to MPLexus, this only occurs on Camry SE bumpers.

Also I could say the same thing about the Sonata, but I won't .

In any case, this is a real issue and I hope that Toyota will address it.
Old 09-04-12, 11:58 AM
LexFather

This is going to go viral... Lol

Old 09-04-12, 12:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No need to generalize and create a potential argument .
coming from someone who references 'trolls' and 'haters' in the car sales thread, i'll take your advice cautiously, thanks.

According to MPLexus, this only occurs on Camry SE bumpers.
sure. to look 'sporty' (not) they extend the thin plastic down a couple of inches which is probably what causes the problem, but you'd think they'd see it in a wind tunnel test!

Also I could say the same thing about the Sonata, but I won't .
you sure could, but ok.

In any case, this is a real issue and I hope that Toyota will address it.
i bet they won't - it's selling well regardless.
Old 09-04-12, 12:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure a fix for this would be relatively easy and minor. If this poses any sort of safety issue, then Toyota would definitely need to look into it. Even from a visual standpoint, it gives a low quality impression, which I'm sure Toyota wouldn't be happy with.
Old 10-02-12, 10:46 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Toyota needs to learn from Hyundai on making cars with good stance.

On another note, the ALL NEW Camry rear bumper sides flutter at highway speeds.

Just bad design. Toyota is rushing to make changes. The company is not structured to introduce fast changes. and the result is very clear.
And here is Motor Trend clearly in agreement with my observations about Toyota and the New Camry.

Ask Febbo: "This car is just so cynical. Horribly executed, and not a drop of passion anywhere. Interior looks like it was designed by the accounting department. Monochrome display for the HVAC system could have been developed in the '70s. The ***** are cheap, the buttons are cheap, everything is built to the lowest price."

Febbo isn't alone. Writes Seabaugh: "Did Toyota even try? Seems like they just phoned it in. Cabin has way too many hard plastics, a shoddy infotainment system, a dash so shiny it reflects into the windshield in direct sunlight. This is the McDonald's of cars: billions and billions served. But that doesn't mean it's good."

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/2012-201...rs.html?page=2
Old 10-02-12, 06:08 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been seeing a lot of teaser ads for the Avalon.
Old 10-02-12, 07:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I can barely see anything wrong in that clip posted by chikoo.. is there a specific part I need to look out for?
Old 10-02-12, 07:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

And here is Motor Trend clearly in agreement with my observations about Toyota and the New Camry.
lol, it is only review like that... plus 4 previous reviews by MT have decided it is much better car than Sonata.
Old 10-03-12, 07:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
I can barely see anything wrong in that clip posted by chikoo.. is there a specific part I need to look out for?
the reflection in rear bumper jumping around indication of a fluttering bumper.
Old 10-04-12, 09:33 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My apologies for continuing the off-topic discussion of the fluttering bumper cover on the Camry…

The flutter may not be caused by wind loads but by high-frequency vibrations through the suspension on certain types of roads. I have discovered that asphalt-paved roads are much smoother than concrete-paved roads. Driving on concrete-paved roads at high speeds causes a high-frequency vibration in the tires and suspension: the tires emit a definite, noticeable whine and there is a buzzy roughness that can be felt through the suspension.

These vibrations through the suspension and into the body of the car may be causing the flutter of the bumper cover. If you hit anything at just the right frequency, the effect will be amplified. The vibrations in the rear bumper cover of the present-generation Camry while travelling at high speeds over certain types of roads may be caused by the resonance frequency: the frequency of the vibrations may be just the right frequency to make the flutter in the bumper cover even more noticeable. This fluttering would not be noticed in the wind tunnel since it is not air/wind-related.

Remember that the bumper cover is just that – a cover – and serves only to cover up what would otherwise be an ugly under-portion of the car; it has no structural use. So as long as the vibrations in the structural body of the car do not weaken the car, there is no problem. It is nothing to panic about.
Old 10-04-12, 01:43 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

guess what?

I saw a new Toyota highlander with the same fluttering rear bumper issue. Exact same as the Camry.

Something is seriously wrong with the bumper engineer at Toyota.
Old 10-04-12, 01:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
Remember that the bumper cover is just that – a cover – and serves only to cover up what would otherwise be an ugly under-portion of the car; it has no structural use. So as long as the vibrations in the structural body of the car do not weaken the car, there is no problem. It is nothing to panic about.
then I will pay just that..pennies, not thousands of dollars. You cannot write this off calling it just a cover.
Old 10-04-12, 08:15 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

guess what?

I saw a new Toyota highlander with the same fluttering rear bumper issue. Exact same as the Camry.

Something is seriously wrong with the bumper engineer at Toyota.
You do realize bumper covers on all cars today are thin plastic. There is nothing wrong with the "bumper engineer"...
Old 10-04-12, 09:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are so off topic from the Avalon...

Quick Reply: "Autoline" interview with 2013 Avalon Chief Engineer