Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Autoline" interview with 2013 Avalon Chief Engineer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 07:08 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Autoline" interview with 2013 Avalon Chief Engineer

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25070759

Autoline had Randy Stephens, who is the Chief Engineer on the new Avalon, on their show tonight. He gave a lot of insight into the process on designing the new Avalon and the video is a very informative and interesting piece on how this car came together. Check it out.
Old 08-30-12, 07:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I wasnt expecting this to be so detailed and long. Pretty good video so far!

Also, are these Lexus F-sport accessory wheels? Regardless, this Avalon looks great!

EDIT: looks like they may be offering a "PLUS Performance Evolution" sports package? Interesting.
Old 08-30-12, 10:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those wheels set it off IMO. Looks good to me.
Old 08-30-12, 10:56 PM
LexFather

Really like it outside that giant lower grill

Toyota is on the ball!

Old 08-31-12, 05:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

650+ mile range on the hybrid and a starting MSRP of $31k on the 3.5.
Old 08-31-12, 06:15 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The car looks great. I just wish they would do something different with that lower grill, because it looks like the car has 2 grills
Old 08-31-12, 10:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Those wheels set it off IMO. Looks good to me.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Really like it outside that giant lower grill

Toyota is on the ball!
Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The car looks great. I just wish they would do something different with that lower grill, because it looks like the car has 2 grills
Totally agree there!

New avalon looks so good until you get to that gaping mouth grill
I think an oversized-euro plate should cover up that grill up pretty good
Old 08-31-12, 11:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Video confirms that direct injection and 8 speed are in the pipeline.
Old 08-31-12, 12:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota seriously considering sporty Avalon

Like its Cressida ancestor, Toyota's Avalon has long focused on easy living comfort and value over sex appeal. Conservative sheetmetal, a cushy ride, space to spread out and general ease-of-use have historically made the brand's largest sedan popular among the elderly. But the new 2013 Avalon brings with it markedly more expressive styling that suggests Toyota is no longer content to cater to the end-of-life demographic. This shift away from a more traditional value set to edgier design and content is one the entire large non-premium sedan segment seems to be embracing – witness the newly upscale 2014 Chevrolet Impala, as well as the sculpted flanks of the 2012 Hyundai Azera and Ford Taurus.

The 2013 model's noticeably svelter sheetmetal, with its bolder front end and flowing greenhouse announce Toyota's intent, but it's features like a Sport mode and paddle shifters that really telegraph the Avalon's newfound vigor and more aspirational mission. And Toyota officials tell Autoblog that the already-shown V6 and hybrid models are just the beginning – a stand-alone sport model is also under serious consideration.

According to Randy Stephens, the model's chief engineer, a trio of Avalon concepts is headed to SEMA this October, with two of them having been completed internally – unusual for Toyota. The pair of concepts conceived in-house will have a performance bent, with at least one featuring an off-the-shelf supercharger from the company's TRD parts bin in Australia (the same forced-induction setup used in the Lotus Evora S). The house-built Avalons are said to not be as outrageously styled as most SEMA vehicles tend to be, in large measure because Toyota plans to weigh public opinion with an eye toward a production run.

When asked if a sportier production Avalon model would be similar to the current Camry model's SE trim, Stephens quickly and decisively said, "No. It has to be more real." By "more real," Stephens means that a hotter Avalon would have to actually offer augmented performance. A production supercharged model? Highly unlikely. A performance tune of the Avalon's 2GR-FE 3.5-liter V6 (268 horsepower, 248 pound-feet of torque) is more plausible, along with a reworked suspension and appropriate visuals. With the 2013 model's switch to electric power steering, it would also be easy to remap the wheel's turn-in and weight.

The Georgetown, Kentucky-built Avalon hits dealers this fall in both standard and hybrid flavors. If given the green light, a performance will probably take another couple of years.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/31/t...sporty-avalon/

Call me crazy, but if they were to ever do a S/C AWD version of this Avalon, I'd probably seriously consider buying one.
Old 08-31-12, 12:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Video confirms that direct injection and 8 speed are in the pipeline.
he clearly only commented about it from his position in the USA... for instance they asked him about CVT and he said that Toyota didnt do much of it in the past but might in the future - reality is that it only didnt do them in USA, while in the rest of the world, Toyota has a LOT of CVTs... in Europe all petrol engines now come with CVT for 3+ years now, in Asia as well and now when new Auris was introduced in Japan all of the engines are using "improved" CVT.

I mean Toyota was one of the first companies in the world to use DI, 10 years ago before everyone else catched up :-).
Old 08-31-12, 12:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I mean Toyota was one of the first companies in the world to use DI, 10 years ago before everyone else catched up :-).
Toyota does not use DI in the United States or Canada.
Old 08-31-12, 12:47 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it matter? They used DI in the U.S. before, using it now isn't the statement spy was making.
Old 08-31-12, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does it matter? They used DI in the U.S. before, using it now isn't the statement spy was making.
When did they use it before?
Old 08-31-12, 01:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree, it doesn't matter. As the guy said they use DI in some Lexus models in the U.S. but not in U.S. Toyotas yet.

It's becoming common in mainstream cars in the U.S., it's just a matter of time before Toyotas get it.
Old 08-31-12, 01:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree, it doesn't matter. As the guy said they use DI in some Lexus models in the U.S. but not in U.S. Toyotas yet.

It's becoming common in mainstream cars in the U.S., it's just a matter of time before Toyotas get it.
yeah, my point was that Toyota has all these technologies already, so in reality they can do it whenever they want... technology is here. I dont think those two guys know that much about Toyota operations in the World hence the question that isnt really that relevant and doesnt tell us anything new.

Quick Reply: "Autoline" interview with 2013 Avalon Chief Engineer