Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

European NCAP crowns Volvo V40 safest new car ever tested

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 08:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default European NCAP crowns Volvo V40 safest new car ever tested

European NCAP crowns Volvo V40 safest new car ever tested

One of the safest cars ever built will not be sold in the United States. The Euro NCAP, similar to our National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, put the all-new 2013 Volvo V40 through a battery of crash tests and found that it is one of the safest cars it has tested.

The Euro NCAP's testing consists of cars being tested in four categories (adult occupant, child occupant, pedestrian and safety assist) for vehicle safety, and the V40 drove (or more likely was towed) away with some of the top scores the agency has ever handed out. The 98 percent adult occupant rating is the highest result recorded by the Euro NCAP, while the car's innovative pedestrian airbag helped it receive an equally impressive 88-percent rating for pedestrian safety. This safety device is actually an airbag underneath the hood, and when contact with a pedestrian is detected, the airbag inflates, raising the rear portion of the hood which helps to cushion the a person's head or body as it makes contact with the car.

The Volvo V40 was perfect in the safety assist category thanks to systems like Pedestrian Detection, City Safety, auto braking and numerous other active safety features. The only knock that the V40 took was to child occupant protection. Its 75-percent rating is one of the lowest of the recent batch of tested cars, which also includes the Audi A3, Kia Cee'd and Ford B-Max.

In addition to being one of the safest Volvos produced so far, the V40 is also one of the best-looking Volvo models ever. We already had a chance to sample the new V40 back in June, and we were impressed with the car and what it could do to bolster Volvo's U.S. lineup. Still, Volvo has stated that it has no intentions of selling its new compact hatchback here, despite the growth of the premium small car segment in this market.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/02/e...r-ever-tested/
Old 09-03-12, 01:28 PM
LexFather

Lol and not one post.

Nice work Volvo.

Old 09-03-12, 01:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i think both Prius and Avensis in EuroNCAP were safest at the time when they were released.... bar is moving higher...
Old 09-03-12, 01:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Amazing feat by a stunning car
Old 09-04-12, 12:31 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be "the safest new car ever tested" by NCAP, but it has the not-so-great score for child occupant of 75%. The overall score is 98% for adult occupants, 75% for child occupants, 88% pederstrians and 100% safety assist.
http://www.euroncap.com/results/volvo/v40/485.aspx

If I had to choose, I would go for CT200h which has 94% / 84% / 55% / 86%. After all, the health of my child has the highest priority than mine or the pedestrian's.
http://www.euroncap.com/results/lexu.../2011/431.aspx
Old 09-04-12, 10:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superb job by Volvo........and it really shows the main focus of the Volvo Cars brand:

SAFETY

It's in their motto and it's in their mission-vision statement (where it states that by 2020, Volvo aims for a future where no one will be killed or seriously-injured in a Volvo car). The very principles and foundations of Volvo Cars has been on automobile safety and it's in the very foundation of their company.

In fact, this may not be known to some people..........but Volvo actually has some forensic investigation teams of their own as well.

Their role is simple. If ever and when ever there is an accident involving a Volvo car, Volvo will send their forensic investigation team (which includes scientists and engineers) to the crash site itself and they will investigate and examine what has happened to the Volvo car. In most cases, after sufficient data and knowledge has been collected, they will even attempt to recreate the crash or accident in order to determine if the safety of the vehicle (from design, system, safety features, etc.) were working as planned. This will also be compared to computer models and simulations as well.

As such, the data will also be used as a guide in the development of newer Volvo vehicles with regards to safety.

The Volvo Traffic Accident Research Team - investigating accidents involving Volvo vehicles for more than 40 years

Just search for Volvo Traffic Accident Research Team on the internet:

http://www.autos.ca/health-and-safet...nvestigations/

This also applies not only to Volvo cars but also to Volvo buses and trucks (or basically anything with a Volvo name on it).

In fact, when a Volvo bus was involved in a fuel tanker accident which caused a massive explosion, Volvo immediately sent a probe team all the way to India.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...o-spot_1004736
Old 09-04-12, 12:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFGeneer
It might be "the safest new car ever tested" by NCAP, but it has the not-so-great score for child occupant of 75%. The overall score is 98% for adult occupants, 75% for child occupants, 88% pederstrians and 100% safety assist.
http://www.euroncap.com/results/volvo/v40/485.aspx

If I had to choose, I would go for CT200h which has 94% / 84% / 55% / 86%. After all, the health of my child has the highest priority than mine or the pedestrian's.
http://www.euroncap.com/results/lexu.../2011/431.aspx
Good point, still a great job by Volvo overall. They continue with their commitment to safety. Volvo did pretty well in the new IIHS small offset crash test in the US as well.