Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 BMW M5 may have more horsepower than reported

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 06:56 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet the guy that lives 5 mins from me is happy with that info.
Old 09-09-12, 03:18 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

So will Lexus ever give us something "seriously" competitive with these ballsy V8 4-door luxury German sedans?
Old 09-09-12, 04:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I wouldn't be surprised if they underrated the engine to offset the overweight body
with that much power, the weight is pretty irrelevant. a veyron is heavy too.

haven't looked it up, but is this m5 a lot heavier than an e63?
Old 09-09-12, 07:31 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with that much power, the weight is pretty irrelevant. a veyron is heavy too.

haven't looked it up, but is this m5 a lot heavier than an e63?
But a Veyron has a low center of gravity. The M5 is tall and essentially as high as a 7 series. To call this overweight monstrosity sporty is like calling a hippo manoueverable : Both are fast in a straight line but that's about it.
Old 09-09-12, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
But a Veyron has a low center of gravity. The M5 is tall and essentially as high as a 7 series. To call this overweight monstrosity sporty is like calling a hippo manoueverable : Both are fast in a straight line but that's about it.
oh yeah it's still a very sporty car alright. it still runs circles around a lot of cars

i totally buy the heavy part, but i find it amazing how the car is being put down
Old 09-09-12, 11:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why a lot of people thinking the 5 drives like the 7. I have a 7 and drove a new 5 for a while. Even though the 5 is based on the 7 platform, the 2 cars drive completely different. The 5 being whole lot more sporty than the 7. Maybe it become softer and less angile than the E60 and E39 ( I had an E39 too ), but saying the 5 now drives just like a 7 is not correct.
Old 09-10-12, 12:23 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I don't know why a lot of people thinking the 5 drives like the 7. I have a 7 and drove a new 5 for a while. Even though the 5 is based on the 7 platform, the 2 cars drive completely different. The 5 being whole lot more sporty than the 7. Maybe it become softer and less angile than the E60 and E39 ( I had an E39 too ), but saying the 5 now drives just like a 7 is not correct.
Most people spend to much time reading others reviews and opinions on cars that they lose the ability to make decisions for them selves, and they just repeat what they read and eventually say it so much it becomes real to them
Old 09-10-12, 04:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Most people spend to much time reading others reviews and opinions on cars that they lose the ability to make decisions for them selves, and they just repeat what they read and eventually say it so much it becomes real to them
qft.
Old 09-10-12, 09:49 AM
seanlee
Driver

i always thought the lost of drive train should be a constant number as oppose to a variable (or at very least, not a linear relationship to the crank power). which means a car would lose, say 30 HP to the drive train (30 HP is a lot). so 30 HP to a car with 200 HP is 15%. but 30 to 600HP is only 5%.

i believe the same thing was tossed around when estimate GTR's HP based on wheel power, only to find out GTR was to the spec when you measure the crank power.
Old 09-10-12, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For most American driving conditions and preferences, torque, is actually a more significant figure than HP...especially low-RPM torque. It's true that HP plays a role in determing the torque figure (there is a math-formula), but raw HP is gnerally a measure of wind-resistance at high vehicle-speeds (like on the Autobahn), where torque directly measures on the car's ability to accelerate. Most Americans want more torque at lower RPMs for acceleration, and don't necessarily need HP for high-speed cruising..
Old 09-10-12, 12:36 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For most American driving conditions and preferences, torque, is actually a more significant figure than HP...especially low-RPM torque. It's true that HP plays a role in determing the torque figure (there is a math-formula), but raw HP is gnerally a measure of wind-resistance at high vehicle-speeds (like on the Autobahn), where torque directly measures on the car's ability to accelerate. Most Americans want more torque at lower RPMs for acceleration, and don't necessarily need HP for high-speed cruising..
HP is a "theoretical" measurement extrapolated from torque in the formula (torque*rpm/5252). Most Americans associated high HP with fast and high torque with trucks because torque gets you moving from a stop and is great for towing things, whereas hp gets you acceleration.
Old 09-10-12, 12:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
They might be claiming power under worst conditions, not most favorable condition.
After all turbo power will depend a lot on intake air temp.
Winner! After turning my Evo over 200-300 times on a real eddy current dyno (Mustang), the variability between runs can be significant depending on factors such as 1) temperatures 2) cooling (fans to simulate actual speed) 3) ECU fuel/ignition timing and the list goes on. If the readings were on a dynojet, it can be skewed somewhat higher so it can be misinterpreted since it is only an inertia loaded dyno without real "street load" on it. Combined if there were no SAE factors for environment variability, you can see significant variation in the readings. The best way to use the figures is for comparative reasons for mods (vs. baseling) or against other cars. You'll then know if that particular dyno is typically overrating or sandbagging the figures.
Old 09-11-12, 08:24 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Except that the 15% "rule of thumb" is nonsense and always has been. The "drivetrain loss" does not remain at a fixed percentage as you keep going up and up and up in power. The actual "loss" that you'd see on an inertial rolling load dyno like a dynojet for a car at this power level is probably more along the lines of 10% or less, which would put the car within earshot of its actual power ratings. This is just something for fanboys to get excited and chat about. Notice how on all of these super powerful cars that if you apply the 15% rule to all of them, almost all of them are "under-rated" on power? They're not, or at least not by nearly as much as people claim or would like to think. It's because the 15% rule of thumb is BS.
Versus the other brand vehicles that ARE rated at the 15% loss assumption. Nissan/Infiniti does this, though Toyota doesn't. G37 makes '330hp' and makes 270whp on the dyno. IS350 makes '306hp' and makes 270whp on the dyno. 335i makes '300hp' and makes 270whp on the dyno. Moan about fanboys all you want, it's still a 4300lb vehicle that traps 120+ mph. CTS-V what?

What goes outside the discussion though is the powerband. The M5's powerband is ridiculous. I've seen a 'Stage 1' ECU upgrade (not sure if piggyback or flash) get released for it with gains of 70whp and 90ft-lbs.
Old 09-11-12, 08:28 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
because torque gets you moving from a stop and is great for towing things, whereas hp gets you acceleration.
Not sure if you meant this as 'this is what most americans think' or something you're explaining as fact. It's wrong though.
Old 09-11-12, 12:49 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Originally Posted by Bean

What goes outside the discussion though is the powerband. The M5's powerband is ridiculous. I've seen a 'Stage 1' ECU upgrade (not sure if piggyback or flash) get released for it with gains of 70whp and 90ft-lbs.
Totally agree, the torque curve is as flat as it can be.

Quick Reply: 2013 BMW M5 may have more horsepower than reported