Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Nissan Altima Looks Lex Like to me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 10:09 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I see a mini-maxima.
Love the new altima, can't wait for the new maxima.

however, in response to OP
Old 09-12-12, 05:04 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoac
Front kinda looks like the 2013 GS. Great things will be copied =)
That doesn't make sense, as the Altima was already a final evaluation prototype over a year ago and pretty much looked the same as now, except in disguise. It's purely a coincidence, as the production GS was barely unveiled last August and as a concept 4 months earlier. Everyone needs to remember that a Japanese car's definitive design will be frozen no less than 20-24 months prior to production. That would mean any cars that influenced the Altima's design had to have been publicly viewable as a design reference in 2009/early 2010.

In order to even truly copy another new vehicle (introducing a new design language), it would really have to be from the same company(Nissan) or had the design details leaked out too early. I've seen others make the same accusations towards Lexus and other automakers, without factoring in engineering considerations that no car company can easily bypass in terms of development time.
Old 09-12-12, 07:01 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
That doesn't make sense, as the Altima was already a final evaluation prototype over a year ago and pretty much looked the same as now, except in disguise. It's purely a coincidence, as the production GS was barely unveiled last August and as a concept 4 months earlier. Everyone needs to remember that a Japanese car's definitive design will be frozen no less than 20-24 months prior to production. That would mean any cars that influenced the Altima's design had to have been publicly viewable as a design reference in 2009/early 2010.

In order to even truly copy another new vehicle (introducing a new design language), it would really have to be from the same company(Nissan) or had the design details leaked out too early. I've seen others make the same accusations towards Lexus and other automakers, without factoring in engineering considerations that no car company can easily bypass in terms of development time.

Good point. I think people are starting to see spindles in their sleep. Also of note is that the Altima's front end is more related to the Versa Sedan which predates the GS Spindle.