Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 gs f

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 08:26 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The IS-F while ground-breaking for Lexus, was based on old suspension and chassis principles and never won any handling comparos vs the M3.

The new GS tellingly didn't gain any weight over the previous generations despite its increased dimensions and has convincingly beaten the 5 series in head-to-head handling comparisons AND it is the first mainstream Lexus platform built from ground-up that incorporates Lexus' new ride/steering/handling DNA.

Firstly, I don't believe for a second that the GS-F will have only 50 more hp than the IS-F. There will be a significant hp/torque increase over the ISF. Second, Lexus new philosophy is about building in lightness rather than just pumping power. I suspect the GS-F will incorporate significant chassis lightening tech from the LFA eg carbon fiber, aluminium and ultra high strength steel sort of like the ISF-CCR. As long as the weight-to-hp/torque ratio is comparable to the M5, the GSF will be a viable competitor.
^^ +1 add lightness!
Old 09-12-12, 08:35 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
*I mentioned this a while ago, but I think it will be the "total package" that comes to define iconic cars in the future: Cars with sharp driving dynamics, great handling, intuitive driver feedback and yes - lots of power.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-12-12, 08:36 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

We can also speculate on the following about the GS F:
- will there be an additional mode above Sport+?
- how will the interior be differentiated from the "regular" GS F-Sport?
- what kind of rubber? on 20" rims?
- will LDH/DRS be standard?
- electronic gauge cluster from LFA?
- 8 speed transmission? Dual clutch?
- stacked quad pipes?
- colors?

Again, I can't wait. This will be my milestone birthday gift to myself.
Old 09-12-12, 08:38 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

1. Anyone thinking that it would look at all different then the current model, will sadly be mistaken.
2. There is NO WAY to add a V8 engine and keep the weight down...without sacrificing safety (fiberglass vs sheet metal) or insulation.
3. Anything less than 500hp will get laughed at, and have no chance at competing with the Germans...no matter what the claimed 0-60 time is
4. As has already been said, people in this market could give two spits about the gas guzzler tax.

Sadly, there is room under the hood for a larger engine...was just hoping it would be something more spectacular.

Doesn't matter, I'm not spending $100K on a mid-size sedan.
Old 09-12-12, 08:55 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx

Im going to have to disagree with you here. If you look at the trends of how the M5 sold and talk to owners about why they bought, you'll find that reviews have a significant effect on the sales of super sedans. Being the most talked about car in your class is whats going to get buyers through the door. Lexus has been great in marketing its vehicles, but has been lax when it comes to initial competitiveness in the sports car market.

Most M3 owners will tell you that the ISF is slower than an M3 because they say/read an article in a magazine or something similar on youtube. Its been years from the initial launch, the IS-F has grown up to be a proven faster car than its M3 rival, but nobody talks about it. If Lexus is looking for this car to really sell, they need to go BIG. Shock the market with a platform that is just stunning and awe inspiring. If the GS-F were to be faster than the new M5, it would be a huge splash in the water and every car magazine would be fighting over the chance to compare the two.
Looks to me like we agree more than disagree.
I agree Lexus will need 500+ hp to take sales away from M5, E-AMG and RS6. That's because people who want super sedans want the fastest.

What I'm saying that is different is that not everyone cares about horsepower wars and a 460 hp GSF will sell. I care more about getting a big coupe with anything over 350hp.

But my bottom line is that Lexus should not risk it. While you're at it, give people that 500 hp, along with great handling and outsell everyone else.
Old 09-12-12, 09:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Was there ever any doubt? ? Personally, I never doubted that a GS F was coming. It was only a question of when.
Same here, I always knew the GS-F is coming with the 5.0L unrestricted a little.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
When you stop with the eye rolls and consistently sarcastic and baiting remarks against Lexus, than maybe the car gods will decide to bestow good karma and debut the GS F just for you .
Just for me?!! You mean a one off like the P4/5? I feels so special
Old 09-12-12, 09:16 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
1st of all-

2nd-Can someone go over to Mike's house and beat..........errr.............get more info out of him?

Come on Lexus, let's get it close to 500
What do you want to know? I know every details.
Old 09-12-12, 09:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,364 Posts

If real (we're still talking internet rumor and lots of winky smileys here) I'm personally looking forward to this and the GS-F might be my next new car. That is assuming I can get back some of the garage from my wife. I personally don't care about bragging rights on most HP and look forward to a better balanced car with that level of power, tech, reliability and Lexus service.

I'm certain that fans of other brands will continue the horsepower/ torque comparisons and do think getting somewhat closer to the competition would make a much more important statement about Lexus and F Performance line. The IS-F roughly matched competitors; if the rumored HP level is on point, this seems like a "Goldilocks" approach not directly aimed at the competition. That's OK with me and I'm certain will be with many other buyers. I'm just not sure how it will fair in the press and the constant 'straight line acceleration' tests just like we've seen over and over with the LFA for example. But I guess Lexus owners can start saying "but we'll lose them in the twisties" like we've heard from other brands for years .

I very much hope the lessons learned from the IS-F suspension tweaks in the latest iterations (including a real LSD) are carried forward to the GS-F and there isn't a similar learning curve by Lexus on the GS-F. They seem to have applied magic to the 4GS very well, but need to continue and absolutely nail them on the GS-F to add the extra power to the existing competency. If they don't have a real LSD I'll probably wait until they bring one that does.

Looking forward to some real press releases on this.
Old 09-12-12, 09:25 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewSpace
We can also speculate on the following about the GS F:
- will there be an additional mode above Sport+? No
- how will the interior be differentiated from the "regular" GS F-Sport? Bigger side bolster on the seats, subtle F badges here and there, 2 tones leather.
- what kind of rubber? on 20" rims? Yes 20s
- will LDH/DRS be standard? Optional
- electronic gauge cluster from LFA? No
- 8 speed transmission? Dual clutch? 8-Speeds torque converter
- stacked quad pipes? quad side by side
- colors? same as GS350 F
Old 09-12-12, 09:30 AM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH , looking forward to more confirmed specs.

The front end looks great, hopefully, they change the look of the rear, not feeling it on the new GS.
Old 09-12-12, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If real (we're still talking internet rumor and lots of winky smileys here) I'm personally looking forward to this and the GS-F might be my next new car. That is assuming I can get back some of the garage from my wife. I personally don't care about bragging rights on most HP and look forward to a better balanced car with that level of power, tech, reliability and Lexus service.

I'm certain that fans of other brands will continue the horsepower/ torque comparisons and do think getting somewhat closer to the competition would make a much more important statement about Lexus and F Performance line. The IS-F roughly matched competitors; if the rumored HP level is on point, this seems like a "Goldilocks" approach not directly aimed at the competition. That's OK with me and I'm certain will be with many other buyers. I'm just not sure how it will fair in the press and the constant 'straight line acceleration' tests just like we've seen over and over with the LFA for example. But I guess Lexus owners can start saying "but we'll lose them in the twisties" like we've heard from other brands for years .

I very much hope the lessons learned from the IS-F suspension tweaks in the latest iterations (including a real LSD) are carried forward to the GS-F and there isn't a similar learning curve by Lexus on the GS-F. They seem to have applied magic to the 4GS very well, but need to continue and absolutely nail them on the GS-F to add the extra power to the existing competency. If they don't have a real LSD I'll probably wait until they bring one that does.

Looking forward to some real press releases on this.
isf started out as a garage project so that's why it was somewhat "not ready" when released, and also explains why the suspensions have improved so much over the years and now the car is much more refined.

i am sure lexus put together an actual team on the gsf and the product will be a lot more mature than what the isf was back in 2008
Old 09-12-12, 09:39 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

It's great news to hear that a GS-F will come out. I've been dreaming about this for a few years now. I wonder if a GS-Fh will become a possibility as well?
Old 09-12-12, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Wink

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I am very excited about the GS-F, in fact, certainly will put this on my short list with the CLS63 and S7, but Lexus has to come correct in terms of performance and brand recognition. They did so with the IS-F and certainly with the LF-A and, IMO, cannot debut a 461hp GS-F. They border on diluting the F line. I see Infiniti IPL line all over again. Release a range topper with minimal bump in hp that doesn't adequately play in it's realm and it can cause problems down the line.
Its nothing like IPL, that is nothing but a bodykit, exhaust and intake. If it is 461hp that is over a 120hp bump from the 450h.

How they dilute a brand that is still establishing itself?

Old 09-12-12, 09:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
- will there be an additional mode above Sport+? No
- how will the interior be differentiated from the "regular" GS F-Sport? Bigger side bolster on the seats, subtle F badges here and there, 2 tones leather.
- what kind of rubber? on 20" rims? Yes 20s
- will LDH/DRS be standard? Optional
- electronic gauge cluster from LFA? No
- 8 speed transmission? Dual clutch? 8-Speeds torque converter
- stacked quad pipes? quad side by side
- colors? same as GS350 F
Thanks for spreading misinformation.

Old 09-12-12, 10:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I bet it will come in Coupe version too... who is with me?

Quick Reply: 2014 gs f