Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford's Farley addresses 'the burden of being Lincoln'

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I completely understand why they got rid of the Town Car and Crown Vic. As far as the Town Car is concerned, no one equated it to luxury. It was a generic livery vehicle that said nothing about the brand other than "I paid more for my ride from the airport." When you look at the Crown Vic and Town Car together, there was no way they were going to pass crash safety standards without some serious investment. It's disappearance was inevitable.
Respectfully (though I didn't own one), I disagree. The entire chauffeur/limo/livery-car buisness absolutely LOVED the Town Car. Most of their buisness depended on it. And, of course, the car was also quite popular with the gray-hair set. Now that new Town Cars are gone, their value is increasing rapidly on the used-car market. The Limo firms simply won't drive most of the newer Caddys and Lincolns, preferring to stick with the Town Car and DTS. The White House, of course, also ordered (and was delivered) a new DTS-based Caddy Limo for the Obama family and Secret-Service....they didn't want to wait for the downsized Caddys either.
Old 06-15-13, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dc893
I don't know what the attraction and obsession with the Town Cars is. The only good thing about them is the ride quality.
Exactly. They provide a lot of comfort over bumps....which is something that few cars (even premium/luxurymodels with adjustable suspensions) still do today.

If you can't figure out the rest of their former attraction, never mind my posts and just ask a limo firm....they'll be glad to tell you.
Old 06-15-13, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm as nostalgic as the next car enthusiast but really, the Town Car and Crown Vic are two cars whose time has come and gone. It happens to most cars eventually. There's not enough volume in the Limo/Livery/Police car business to sustain them. And as has been mentioned, it's not feasible to build them to meet stricter safety, emission and fuel efficiency standards.

I go to my local town's Thursday night cruise in to get my fix of the old cars. Plus, I have my fond memories.
Old 06-15-13, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm as nostalgic as the next car enthusiast but really, the Town Car and Crown Vic are two cars whose time has come and gone. It happens to most cars eventually. There's not enough volume in the Limo/Livery/Police car business to sustain them. And as has been mentioned, it's not feasible to build them to meet stricter safety, emission and fuel efficiency standards.
Some of that may be true, but I've seen and driven most of the newer Lincoln products (most recently, the MKT and the new 2Gen MKZ), and, in general, I have not been impressed. I would have joined some of the calls myself for Ford to drop the brand altogether, except for the fact that, unlike GM with its Buick division, Ford, having already dumped Mercury, doesn't have any intermediate/mid-priced-brands to separate their entry-level brands from the top-line ones. In other words, they need the Lincoln brand, even if it is doing what IMO are poorly-designed vehcles today.

I will give today's Lincoln sedans one big advantage, though, over the old Town Car....they do offer the AWD option that the Town Car never got.
Old 06-15-13, 07:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't hate on Ford so much if they had actually updated the Town Car/Crown Vic. The last update they did was in 2003, when they switched to rack and pinion steering. It made a world of difference in how these cars drove, but they didn't change diddly squat after MY 2003. Even after all the crazy sales sucess Chrysler had with the 300/Charger in 2005, I think Ford could've restyled these cars and kept them on the Panther platform and made some $$$$ with something more modern and aggresively styled.

The chassis IMO was great, the weak links were the cheap interiors, weak v8's and boring styling. Speaking of weak v8's, I had a 1995 Fleetwood with the LT1 in it. It felt so much punchier and stronger than any 4.6 panther car I drove. Hell it beat my friend's stock Maraurder with the DOCH 300hp 4.6 up to about 80mph. I had a good car length or two on him out of the hole.
Old 06-15-13, 08:38 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The White House, of course, also ordered (and was delivered) a new DTS-based Caddy Limo for the Obama family and Secret-Service....they didn't want to wait for the downsized Caddys either.
Sorry to go off-topic...

Although the current American presidential limousine looks like the now-discontinued Cadillac DTS, it owes more to GM's trucks than to any Cadillac car. According to Wikipedia, The Beast (it is BIG and HEAVY) is in fact built on a Chevrolet Kodiak / GMC TopKick truck chassis.

So I don't think you can compare its ride to a DTS or Town Car, for that matter.
Old 06-15-13, 10:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Sorry to go off-topic...

Although the current American presidential limousine looks like the now-discontinued Cadillac DTS, it owes more to GM's trucks than to any Cadillac car. According to Wikipedia, The Beast (it is BIG and HEAVY) is in fact built on a Chevrolet Kodiak / GMC TopKick truck chassis.

So I don't think you can compare its ride to a DTS or Town Car, for that matter.
Its a custom one off vehicle with a stupid long wheelbase and air suspension. I'm sure it rides very nice, despite being based on a medium duty truck chassis with a Duramax diesel under the hood. One of the best riding vehicles I've ever been in was a truck based Expidition EL, that thing felt like a darn tank on rough roads, never once did a pothole send a shiver, creek, or squeak up through the chassis.
Old 06-17-13, 12:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meanwhile, Lincoln seems hell-bent on going to the Chinese market

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11208284...-china-in-2014

Lincoln Coming to China, Bringing Rich Heritage and Unique Alternative to Growing Luxury Market
Lincoln will be coming to China, offering its rich and unique heritage to customers seeking a new level of luxury
Lincoln will provide a personalized brand experience for affluent Chinese customers seeking a luxury experience tailored to their specific needs
Expansion into China further strengthens Ford Motor Company's commitment and aggressive growth strategy in China and establishes Lincoln as a brand with global appeal; this mark's Ford's largest expansion in 50 years
Lincoln cars will be available in China in the second half of 2014
BEIJING, 28 August, 2012 - Lincoln is coming to China, bringing its rich heritage and a unique alternative to the evolving luxury car customers in one of the world's most important auto markets.

With a nearly 100-year history, Lincoln will deliver an exceptional and personalized brand experience for Chinese customers seeking luxury tailored to their own needs. New Lincoln products will begin to be sold in China in the second half of 2014 through an independent dealer network. The company begins meeting with dealers interested in being part of Lincoln's growth in China in the fourth quarter of this year.

"Lincoln is an important part of our plan, and introducing Lincoln in China marks the next step in our expansion in Asia and our commitment to serving customers in the luxury market," said Ford Motor Company President and CEO Alan Mulally. "We recognize the growth potential for Lincoln in China, building on the growing appeal of our new Lincoln products and unique, personalized customer experience in North America."

Luxury for an Evolving Market

The luxury segment in China is forecast to surpass the luxury segment in the United States by 2020. In China, luxury vehicle sales are expected to more than double - from 6 percent of the market today to nearly 9 percent by the end of the decade, according to IHS. Annual sales of luxury cars are forecast to be approximately 2.7 million units by then.

In China, consumers now see luxury as more than a product, according to an intensive observation study of luxury car buyers conducted by TNS China, "Targeting luxury car drivers in China".

The study also shows that while many affluent consumers in China are still motivated by a primary desire to display their wealth noticeably, data gathered over the last 2 years reveals that a select group of consumers are evolving towards purchasing luxury for the personal experience rather than as an outward signal to others. Their motivation to purchase is also led by self-discovery of products and services that meet their own unique demands, providing a high degree of self-reward in making the right choice.

Lincoln's combination of outstanding products and a personalized luxury buying and ownership experience is expected to be particularly appealing to this evolving group of Chinese luxury consumers.

"Globally, we're seeing a new generation of luxury clients who value more individualistic and tailored options," said Jim Farley, Group Vice President, Global Marketing Sales and Service, Ford Motor Company. "In China, the emerging luxury buyers are younger and fast-changing, and they have a strong desire to understand and appreciate the heritage of a brand- the origins of its real values such as timeless elegance, sophistication and craftsmanship in Lincoln."

A Luxury Brand Heritage, Unique Vision for the Future

Lincoln, named after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, was founded by Henry Leland. Lincoln was acquired by Ford Motor Company in 1922 when it saw the potential in the brand and identified with its purpose to serve luxury customers uniquely.

"Lincoln will distinguish itself by providing more individual and personalized motor cars, and a more personal and crafted experience to match," said Farley. "The Lincoln experience promises to deliver elegant simplicity, something warmer and more personally engaging."

"Research shows that for luxury consumers in China, international credentials are not enough; heritage and excellence are also expected of a luxury car."

From the brand's start, Lincolns were known for challenging convention and driving innovation in design and craftsmanship. This includes the ground-breaking design of the Lincoln Zephyr and original Lincoln Continental.

Today, Lincoln is combining outstanding vehicles with personal and innovative customer service at every step.

Ford Motor Company Expanding Aggressively in China

"Lincoln's introduction to China represents a significant step forward in Ford's aggressive growth strategy for the country", said Dave Schoch, Chairman and CEO, Ford Motor China. "We are on track to deliver 15 new Ford-branded vehicles and 20 powertrains by 2015 to Chinese customers. With Lincoln, we will be expanding our product offering to cover China's fast-growing luxury car segment."

Ford Motor Company is building five new plants in China, including in Chongqing, which is home to the largest manufacturing location for Ford outside southeast Michigan. Once completed, the plants will double the company's capacity in China to 1.2 million passenger vehicles a year.

The expansion, the largest by Ford in 50 years, will help the automaker realize an increase in global sales by around 50 percent from 2010 to about 8 million vehicles annually by mid-decade.
Old 06-17-13, 08:27 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Respectfully (though I didn't own one), I disagree. The entire chauffeur/limo/livery-car buisness absolutely LOVED the Town Car. Most of their buisness depended on it. And, of course, the car was also quite popular with the gray-hair set. Now that new Town Cars are gone, their value is increasing rapidly on the used-car market. The Limo firms simply won't drive most of the newer Caddys and Lincolns, preferring to stick with the Town Car and DTS. The White House, of course, also ordered (and was delivered) a new DTS-based Caddy Limo for the Obama family and Secret-Service....they didn't want to wait for the downsized Caddys either.
Obama's limo was not a DTS, nor based on a DTS (other than styling), rather on a heavily modified heavy truck chassis.

Lincoln's problem, as Lincoln exec's seem to believe and I partly agree, is that Lincoln's branding is downright terrible. Getting rid of the towncar was the right thing to do. You're thinking about it all in terms of current profits, but that's incorrect. Business needs growth. Cutting one car that generates minimal cash but restricts future cash is absolutely the right decision. Now Lincoln is set to grow and the entire brand can focus on a single unified plan rather than keeping one foot back on a decades old platform. Selling Town Cars was simply a death spiral for the brand, and it's good they've escaped it.

However, they aren't going to pull customers that are buying RWD sedans because a FWD car will never have the same driving dymamics. So there's a good portion of customers than can be written off. So what are they chasing? Those who buy FWD Audi's with a CVT. The one that costs ~$35k. I guess that's a good market to chase, because this buyer cares only about brand image and not about the product (because the FWD A4 w/ a CVT is a terrible car, that engines makes too much torque for the drive train). Also perhaps those who would buy a 320i or a base CLA.

So Lincoln is going after the right customer. The issue is the product isn't much better. It's a little above average. Considering we're talking about their entire product line here being only above average, it simply isn't quite good enough.

I say, get rid of all the chrome. No one 35-50 wants a shiny blingin' grille. The design is fine, but that grille trim is awful. Then maybe I can look at your car without squinting. I still won't buy it because it's FWD, but I might begin to notice it.