Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYPD officer fired after ticketing dead people, blames quotas

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 12:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default NYPD officer fired after ticketing dead people, blames quotas

This is awesome

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/12/n...blames-quotas/

Originally Posted by Autoblog
A New York City Police Department officer has been fired for a ticket-writing scheme after 17 years on the force. According to The New York Post, Paul Pizzuto wrote summonses to drivers he'd ticketed in the past, some of whom had been deceased for years by the time the citations arrived in the mail. Pizzuto says he started writing the fake tickets after command told him he needed to start writing more on top of the 125 to 150 he was already issuing. Colleagues raised concerns when they realized Pizzuto never showed up in court for the additional summonses.

The former officer pled guilty to three counts of falsifying business records earlier this year. The NYPD, meanwhile, denies pushing Pizzuto for more tickets and accuses him of trying to pad his pay with his efforts. Pizzuto claims he was improperly fired because the NYPD didn't give him a hearing over the matter. The police department, meanwhile, says he was let go because the citations were an "oath of office" offense, meaning Pizzuto wasn't entitled to a hearing.

Pizzuto was one of three officers busted in the scandal, and he not only lost his job, he received 150 hours of community service along with a docked pension.
Old 09-12-12, 07:33 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know why, but I'm not surprise at all to hear this.

Its NYPD, Its seem perfectly normal. Indeed, they are New York's "Finest" when giving out fines
Old 09-12-12, 10:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Some cop in California testified about the same thing. Scandalous.
Old 09-13-12, 06:45 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

At least your state doesn't have low level highway patrol officers issuing speeding tickets(like 90+mph) to state senate members. Then later the highway patrol captains are doing some political favors for the senators and getting the tickets "fixed" and removed from court dockets like they never existed.

This was a HUGE scandal in Tennessee. It really exposed how cronyism and the politically connected ruled the top levels of the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
Old 09-13-12, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Pizzuto says he started writing the fake tickets after command told him he needed to start writing more on top of the 125 to 150 he was already issuing.

The NYPD, meanwhile, denies pushing Pizzuto for more tickets and accuses him of trying to pad his pay with his efforts.
A classic case of He Said/She Said. Given what (admittedly) little we know about it, I'd be more inclined to believe the NYPD.....that Pizzuto was just trying to pad his bottom line. Dishonest cops aren't the norm, but there are plenty of them out there.
Old 09-13-12, 09:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A classic case of He Said/She Said. Given what (admittedly) little we know about it, I'd be more inclined to believe the NYPD.....that Pizzuto was just trying to pad his bottom line. Dishonest cops aren't the norm, but there are plenty of them out there.
stop lying to yourself already when a retired cop admitted to me that their performance is always "unofficially" associated with their quota, when he had nothing to gain by saying that.
Old 09-13-12, 09:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by grabber2
I don't know why, but I'm not surprise at all to hear this.

Its NYPD, Its seem perfectly normal. Indeed, they are New York's "Finest" when giving out fines
I am not a slight bit surprise, is just fun when the truth comes out in public like that.
Old 09-13-12, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
stop lying to yourself already when a retired cop admitted to me that their performance is always "unofficially" associated with their quota, when he had nothing to gain by saying that.
It's not lying to say that there are dishonest cops out there....or that there are indeed sometimes quotas. But, in this particular case, it appears to be a He/She said conflict...and no other officer that we know of, on this particular police force (NYPD), seems to be backing Pizzuto story's in public. In this particular case, as I see it, the NYPD's position, at the moment, seems more credible than Pizzuto's. That could change, however, under different circumstances.
Old 09-13-12, 09:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
At least your state doesn't have low level highway patrol officers issuing speeding tickets(like 90+mph) to state senate members. Then later the highway patrol captains are doing some political favors for the senators and getting the tickets "fixed" and removed from court dockets like they never existed.

This was a HUGE scandal in Tennessee. It really exposed how cronyism and the politically connected ruled the top levels of the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
Corruption exist everywhere, is just human nature. The only difference is it happens less in your face in the U.S.A. then in 3rd world countries like China or Thailand, where if you got money, you can murder someone on the street in the middle of the day and the cops would cover it up for you like nothing happened. Just look at that redbull heir that murdered that cop with his Ferrari, nothing will happen to him, just watch. Or most likely, we will never hear about it again. That kid is just laughing his *** off.
Old 09-13-12, 10:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, in this particular case, it appears to be a He/She said conflict...and no other officer that we know of, on this particular police force (NYPD), seems to be backing Pizzuto story's in public.
So you actually think any active cop in the NYPD would actually back up Pizzuto to **** off the NYPD?

Would you ever say F U to your boss if you want to keep your job?