Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Subaru's AWD Systems Are Not Just Hype

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Why Subaru's AWD Systems Are Not Just Hype

This, IMO, is a very impressive video. While, granted, the steepness of that particular hill in the test is a severe test for any car-based AWD system, Subaru shows how it has mastered the art of traction.

My own experience, with an Outback, in low-traction conditions, was also excellent...especially in severe snow and sleet-storms.

One thing I would have liked to see, though, that the video didn't show, is how an Audi Q5 would have compared. Audi's Quattro systems go back virtually as long as Subaru's, and have also received a lot of perfection over the years.

Old 09-14-12, 09:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That video demonstrates why most traditional AWD systems suck - they basically become FWD when pushed to limit. The Subaru is better than most because its probably using limited slip center diff and possibly limited slip front and/or rear diffs. I'm personally a big fan of torque vectoring AWD systems found in Nissan GTR and Acura SH-AWD models - these are far more capable than traditional systems.
Old 09-14-12, 09:10 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

mitsubishi s-awc would have easily made that
Old 09-14-12, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
That video demonstrates why most traditional AWD systems suck - they basically become FWD when pushed to limit. The Subaru is better than most because its probably using limited slip center diff and possibly limited slip front and/or rear diffs. I'm personally a big fan of torque vectoring AWD systems found in Nissan GTR and Acura SH-AWD models - these are far more capable than traditional systems.

Actually, Subie did use the limited-slip diffs on a number of their older vehicles, including my former Outback. The newer Foresters, though (like the one in the film), Imprezas, and some of the Outbacks now use the electronic torque-vectoring system for the rear wheels. It seems to work just as well and, of course, eliminate some weight.

Given the choice, though I'd rather have the LSD. Heavier and bulkier, yes, but also less-likely to fail than electronics.
Old 09-14-12, 12:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I like torque-vectoring!
Old 09-14-12, 12:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They should've used the 50-50 lock button on the RAV4, but it is Subaru marketing stuff, so they would never do that.
Old 09-14-12, 08:29 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great showcase of why they believe they are the best!
Old 09-14-12, 09:24 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea 50/50 lock would of had that rav 4 up there without a problem thats why its there, but no lets act like subaru is the best in awd systems.
Old 09-14-12, 09:41 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice demostration thanks for sharing
Old 09-15-12, 06:50 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sh-awd comparison huh. That would have been a good battle vs Subaru.
Old 09-15-12, 07:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This, IMO, is a very impressive video. While, granted, the steepness of that particular hill in the test is a severe test for any car-based AWD system, Subaru shows how it has mastered the art of traction.

My own experience, with an Outback, in low-traction conditions, was also excellent...especially in severe snow and sleet-storms.

One thing I would have liked to see, though, that the video didn't show, is how an Audi Q5 would have compared. Audi's Quattro systems go back virtually as long as Subaru's, and have also received a lot of perfection over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2gy_6Jbu9g
if you look more at youtube videos, you will see dealers of almost every manufacturer have these, and their vehicle wins every time... Audi, BMW, Acura, they all have them.
Old 09-15-12, 07:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you look more at youtube videos, you will see dealers of almost every manufacturer have these, and their vehicle wins every time... Audi, BMW, Acura, they all have them.
Your are correct sir. No dealer/mfgr is going to show their vehicle coming in 2nd or 3rd place in one of these videos. Interesting video though.
Old 09-15-12, 08:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Yea 50/50 lock would of had that rav 4 up there without a problem thats why its there, but no lets act like subaru is the best in awd systems.
But 4x4 lock is a part time 4wd system (and front/rear axles still have open diffs?) - while Subaru has full time AWD.
Old 09-15-12, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KrazyLexus
No sh-awd comparison huh. That would have been a good battle vs Subaru.
The SH-AWD system is good at varying the torque side-to-side for hard cornering on dry pavement (more torque to the outside wheels generally means less understeer), but it does little added good beyond other car-based AWD systems when starting out on steep grades and/or slick, low-traction surfaces like in the video.
Old 09-15-12, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Nice demostration thanks for sharing
Thanks. Impressed me, too, though, although, as some other posters have noted, other factors could be involved, too.

I had an Outback, BTW, for 7 years, and, even in 2-foot blizzards and sleet (ice-pellet)-storms up to 5 inches deep, it was never stuck. I understand why the U.S. Ski team has used Subies for years.

Quick Reply: Why Subaru's AWD Systems Are Not Just Hype