Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The best 4wd ...and yes its made by TOYOTA

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 07:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These middle east drivers are insane to take their SUVs on some big-air moves.

P.S.
What's a GMC vehicle doing there? xD
Old 09-16-12, 11:33 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I see a Ford Edge in that last picture, what is that doing there haha
lol good eye
maybe it was part of a challenge to see how a land cruiser can tow a stuck-in-the-sand Edge?
Old 09-16-12, 12:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Due to their smaller size and better departure and arrival angles, yes they are.
As a pure 4WD off-road Toyota vehicle, the FJ Cruiser is far superior to the current Land Cruiser. Not only does the FJ. Cruiser have better approach/leave angle (the angles are far superior), the FJ has better breakover by a fair amount and it also has the shortest wheelbase.

Also, the FJ Cruiser comes with the classic 4hi/4lo mechanical shifter, locking rear differential, and spare mounted on the rear which helps if a tire needs changing off the beaten path. Compared to the current Land Cruiser and LX, both come with electronic (quicker to fail) transfer cases, electronic helpers that are run by computer software, and suspensions that have either hydraulics with fluids and air compressors or it has a suspension that have stablizer bars that have links that disengage and can break. FJ has a pure and simple suspension.

Powertrain of the FJ is the same as the overseas Land Cruiser and a manual full time 4WD with a rear locking differential and a mechanical shifter is more bulletproof than having electronic switches, extra links or fluids in the suspension and software running the show. And let's not forget the superb angles, size, and clearance of the current FJ.

FJ is the better 4WD Toyota.
Old 09-16-12, 03:48 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

The power train of the FJ is the same as the previous generation 120 series Prado ( GX470 )which is considered light duty .

The FJ maybe the best 4wd from toyota in stock form sold in the US , but in terms of durability the 200 series is in a class of its own !

The 200 series has a different chassis that is much stronger and the drivetrain is much beefier . The suspension parts in my opinion are much more bullet proof and much bigger as well !

I will give you an example, a friend of mine's lives in the middle east and he drives all types of toyota 4wds .

He owned a Toyota Prado 2008 which has the same drive train and chassis as the FJ cruiser and it would get beaten up specially up front if driven very hard offroad and im talking driving offroad at speeds excess of 60 mph on dirt tracks, eventually your are bound to hit something , which he has many times and each time the power steering would go wrong and he would need to change the shocks and skid plate.

He however now owns a 200 series Land Cruiser which he drives just as hard and he is not had a single problem yet ! The front end is much more durable in the land cruiser than in the Fj and can handle much more of a beating, after all the Land Cruiser 200 was designed to be a family suv that can go offroad and can be driven by the UN fully armored at very high speeds packed with alot of people, which means they also have to be stable and durable at those speeds .

As for your basic rear lockers and what not thats all available on the Middle eastern 200 series as well as a rear spare tyre carrier ! In some models you can get two spare tyres as well , one mounted below and one behind and in the most basic version you can get vinyl seats, barn doors and key ignition and normal suspension .

As for electronic 4wd system it has yet to fail and has been used for a long time on the 100 series ( electronic center diff ) and now the low/high 4wd has been electronic since the 200 was introduced in late 2007 . It has proved to be a very reliable system , which is why Toyota still uses it on its new 4wds .

How ever when it comes to high speed desert driving and robustness, nothing comes close to the 200 series which is why its the flagship vehicle of Toyota !
It can do all that, yet offer extreme comfort and reliability.
The best offroading Toyota isnt the Fj cruiser , its the Land Cruiser 70 series ( Comes in different variations ) and is sold over seas, completely mechanical .

The Land Cruiser really is an amazing vehicle.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 09-16-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 08:55 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Default Lexus LX 2013 dune bashing!!

You would be surprised how much abuse these trucks can take ( Lexus LX/Land Cruiser)

its running 16 inch steelies with sand tyres.

here is the toyota twin ( Land Cruiser )

The LX/LC may not sell much in the US but over seas they are really popular

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 12-03-12 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

awesome!.....
Old 12-03-12, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This thread is pretty much the same as this recent one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...by-toyota.html
Old 12-03-12, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, awesomeness!
Old 12-03-12, 01:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd still go with a Toyota Tacoma 4WD or a FJ Cruiser.
Old 12-03-12, 02:03 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you kidding me? Great thread and pictures, looks like so much fun!
Old 12-04-12, 03:46 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like one heck of a good time!
Old 12-04-12, 06:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I'd still go with a Toyota Tacoma 4WD or a FJ Cruiser.
Tacoma doesnt even have full time awd... good luck turning with central diff locked.
Old 12-05-12, 03:40 AM
koffeblack
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

UAE is crazy!

Landcruiser and Patrol is very popular here too. We only just got the FJ Cruisers here last year. Basedon teh 120 series Prado, Petrol only. They are not very popular. Landcruiser is king of the road here. Here is my 80 series.
320,000kms, Petrol, Tows my race car, goes bush, mud, beach, rocks, and takes me to work everyday, all while pumping the aircon! This is seriously a tough car, super reliable and fun to drive. I actually love driving this more than my GS ans Supra lol
Old 12-05-12, 04:37 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Those pictures are in Qatar not UAE.

As for your 80 series, its a beauty. The 80 series land cruiser is considered by many as the best 4wd vehicle in the world. Solid axles all round and some versions came with three difflocks (Front - center - rear ) and a factory winch. They are also extremely reliable.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 12-05-12 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 04:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

For what those crazy Arabs are using their trucks for, they are simply the best. Going crazy speeds over sand dunes, not getting stuck, and not breaking when they get air, the modern land cruiser is just plain AWESOME.

However, for more technical offroad work with narrow trails and rock climbing, I still maintain that a CJ, TJ, or YJ Jeep Wrangler is the superior vehicle. The small size of a Jeep lets them go through much crazier trails that would have a wider truck like a Land Cruiser or Rover completely stopped.

Quick Reply: The best 4wd ...and yes its made by TOYOTA