Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda butching up Crosstour for 2013 because 'people weren't exactly sure what it was

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Honda still doesn't get it. Listen up, Honda reps, one more time.............................

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR IS ITS BODY STYLE, not its trim/cladding level, engine-size, paddle-shifts, keyless starts, etc.....or even the 5AT (most of the people who own this car don't drive fast enough for the sixth gear to be of any major benefit). So, while the 6AT certainly doesn't hurt, if you want to sell this vehicle, GET RID OF THAT UGLY AND SPACE-INEFFICIENT DROOP-DOWN REAR END. Make it a real Outback competitor like the Toyota Venza, and it will sell. And, with the proper body on it, it should sell....underneath is the same excellent Honda mechanicals and Swiss-Watch-precise assembly that we've seen for decades.

Suggestion (for about the fifth or sixth time now)?..................Simply use the Acura TSX Sportwagon body, which was designed correctly the first time. That, IMO, is what the Crosstour should have gotten in the first place. The TSX Sportwagon is not selling well as an Acura (probably due to its lack of a V6, raised-suspension, and SH-AWD), and the Crosstour, which does have these features, has that ugly and cramped rear end which also prevents it from selling.

So, Honda designers, you decide.............do you make the real changes needed, or just keep whining about lack of sales and adding extraneous stuff that will be of little or no benefit?

The clock's ticking..........................

(Mike, you won't have to post...................................I've done the Honda-b**ching for you on this one. )

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-21-12, 01:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Folks.... Honda can't just come up with a new Crosstour at the snap of the fingers. Models must run their course in order to recoop costs and justify the next model. While there are rare exceptions to that, this is especially the case with STINGY companies like Honda. While we all hate this thing to death and it's obvoius what it's core problems are, shouting at Honda is a waste of breath.
And believe me, as a company, THEY KNOW IT'S A FAILURE, but will never admit it. All the president's talk is pure BS. They are not retarded businessmen and they are not shielded from how well their competitors do with their models. They are saving face and trying to play off a few more sucker sales. This is business when you have a bad product... you pretend it's good and do what you can until you start over.
So until a few more suckers buy this thing and it runs it's course, it's here to stay until the next model debuts.
Old 09-22-12, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Folks.... Honda can't just come up with a new Crosstour at the snap of the fingers.
They have had over three years to note and address the problem. It was clear from Day One that they had blown the roofline and cargo-area....I told them that myself when I first did my CL review on it. I also heard the same thing from a number of prospective customers who went up to look at it...although a neighbor of mine actually bought one.

In that time (as I pointed out in my last post) the company could have easily simply taken the existing TSX Sportwagon (which was the correct body-style to start with), jacked the suspension up a little for ground clearance, substituied Honda for Acura trim, and slipped in the Crosstour's mechanicals. It would not have been that difficult a job....and that AWD powertrain had already been thoroughly engineered and EPA-certified.

So, while I understand what you're saying, and I understand the limitations that auto companies sometimes have to work with, I still think that Honda blew not only the original product, but also a lot of the time since then where could have addressed the real problem, and didn't.

And believe me, as a company, THEY KNOW IT'S A FAILURE, but will never admit it. All the president's talk is pure BS.
It may be the same case with the Acura parrot-beak grilles, altough they admittedly have toned them down somewhat on the latest versions.
Old 09-22-12, 09:45 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Very disappointed in Honda. All their cars are crap now and the quality sucks too. My friend's 2007ish Civic Si has clear coat failure happening all over the car...so sad

S2000, RSX, FG Coupe, all great cars...all the new ones suck.
Old 09-22-12, 06:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Folks.... Honda can't just come up with a new Crosstour at the snap of the fingers. Models must run their course in order to recoop costs and justify the next model. While there are rare exceptions to that, this is especially the case with STINGY companies like Honda. While we all hate this thing to death and it's obvoius what it's core problems are, shouting at Honda is a waste of breath.
And believe me, as a company, THEY KNOW IT'S A FAILURE, but will never admit it. All the president's talk is pure BS. They are not retarded businessmen and they are not shielded from how well their competitors do with their models. They are saving face and trying to play off a few more sucker sales. This is business when you have a bad product... you pretend it's good and do what you can until you start over.
So until a few more suckers buy this thing and it runs it's course, it's here to stay until the next model debuts.
You know to Lexus credit the HS flopped and they stopped importing it then pulled the plug. They didn't pull the Honda tricks and excuses. This has to be a money losing proposition as they never came close to sales goals and the I-4 didn't help spur sales. Element, Ridgeline, CR-Z, Insight, they refuse to quickly fix them or get rid of them instead blaming everything but themselves.

Nothing wrong with quickly admitting a mistake. Too many companies do the exact opposite and it looks bad.

Old 09-23-12, 11:32 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
someone did the best that could be done

Wow,,, Mike, you know I am starting to become a believer that if you stick a set of Vossen on just about anything, it will ALMOST look 1000 times better. LOL!! Not a underwhelming task but you guys and your wheel design dept can only do so much. HATE the cross-turd but this one above aint so bad. Wouldn't drive/own one mind you,, but this one doesn't offend me as much.
Old 09-23-12, 04:27 PM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since Mike beat me posting the picture, here's the video of the same car haha, the new one will probably look better with some Matte Graphite finished wheels since it has the black plastic along the door bottoms/fender wells...
Old 09-23-12, 04:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They should just drop it altogether and bring back the Accord wagon. Only a total redesign could help it significantly and that seems like a lot of possibly wasted money and effort for a model that buyers are not very interested in.
Old 09-24-12, 12:47 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZDX is the only "good" thing that has ever came out of the crosstour hideousy

there are some Acura ZDX that look nice
ones that have been modded of course

Old 09-26-12, 09:45 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
ZDX is the only "good" thing that has ever came out of the crosstour hideousy

there are some Acura ZDX that look nice
ones that have been modded of course

Challenge!!!! Show me 1,, just 1. ZDX was another of a long line of vehicles that should NEVER have seen the light of day off the drawing table. One youhave pictered, while better than production, is still hideous.
Old 09-27-12, 10:56 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda put lipstick on a pig. Not even nice lipstick. And those rims.. its like putting a pair of Jimmy Choo's on said pig. Shoes look great, but its still a pig... now with lipstick!