Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry...from around the world

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 01:38 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no its not an asian model camry, its a Toyota Aurion that is designed by Toyota Australia (the sheet metal), that they sent to asian countries as the V6 version of a camry. In thailand its called a camry, but here we have a camry as a 4 cyclinder and an aurion as a v6. This year however it seems tehy went w the global camry 4cycl and v6. not the asian one
Old 09-28-12, 03:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I like the Thai version. But I really think they should come up with a global design. I think the challenge of a global design would lead the to up their game.
"global" design is cheap way to get out of it.. market differences are way too big, if you do it "global", you are doing it cheap and not good.
Old 09-29-12, 05:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Who edited these photos? In both shots the car was crudely cut out. And the fake wheelspin looks really, well, fake.

I just noticed this and it simply doesn't make for "great" official photos.
These are the official pictures from toyota india website...lol
Old 09-29-12, 06:10 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
"global" design is cheap way to get out of it.. market differences are way too big, if you do it "global", you are doing it cheap and not good.
I don't know. To hold that belief - you have to believe that a good looking car is considered ugly in some countries. I believe when you look at the best designs, everyone thinks they are cool.

It seems to serve Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac. But look how Acura and Lincoln struggle with local design.

Ford seems to be doing quite well with global designs - having said before that it didnt make sense.
Old 09-29-12, 07:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I don't know. To hold that belief - you have to believe that a good looking car is considered ugly in some countries. I believe when you look at the best designs, everyone thinks they are cool.

It seems to serve Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac. But look how Acura and Lincoln struggle with local design.

Ford seems to be doing quite well with global designs - having said before that it didnt make sense.
If you look at the sales numbers, it is certainly true - new Passat sells great because they made special version for USA and Asia and other one for Europe.

Toyota has best selling small pickups in the world and they are different for US and Rest of the World.

Same goes for their SUVs.

If you want your cars to sell great, you need to customize them for local market.

Ford is 5th biggest manufacturer these days.